Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2012, 05:58 PM   #21
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

The main reason guys give you shit about keeping them is because most bass guys believe in CPR.

Spotties are actually really good eating!

The main reason I wouldn't keep them is because the pollution levels are much higher in and around bays and harbors. Pollution IMO has a direct affect on any species living in its presence.

The only time I eat spotted bay bass is in Baja. I have eaten spotties for years while camping and traveling the Sea of Cortez. They're PLENTIFUL and actually REALLY good pan friend and in tacos.

When fishing is slow for other species spotted bay bass from the beach at camp can save the day! That being said, you couldn't pay me to eat a spottie caught out of any harbor or bay on this side of the border.

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:29 PM   #22
driftwood

X2!!!

I would never eat a spottie caught in the bay. Spotties are not migrating fish. they live and die in the toilet bowl bay.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #23
Siebler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos ballenas View Post
The main reason guys give you shit about keeping them is because most bass guys believe in CPR.

Spotties are actually really good eating!

The main reason I wouldn't keep them is because the pollution levels are much higher in and around bays and harbors. Pollution IMO has a direct affect on any species living in its presence.

The only time I eat spotted bay bass is in Baja. I have eaten spotties for years while camping and traveling the Sea of Cortez. They're PLENTIFUL and actually REALLY good pan friend and in tacos.

When fishing is slow for other species spotted bay bass from the beach at camp can save the day! That being said, you couldn't pay me to eat a spottie caught out of any harbor or bay on this side of the border.
Our spotties and those are not actually the same fish. Plus taste depends on the diet of fish as well. Bajas spotties are delicious though.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:58 PM   #24
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK View Post
you kept a spotty
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:47 PM   #25
Drake

I've definately heard of the bays having more toxins/pollutants, but heard it was mostly the big bay with all the navy ships. I had heard Sail Bay was a cleaner water source.

The ironic part is I picked up these spotties no more than 50 yards from where people pick up bugs.... but no one complains about the toxins in the lobsters, yet these so called polluted bass are a source of food for bugs after they die and fall to the sea floor.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely hear what you guys are saying and agree that excessive consumption of a fish from a rather stagnant water source is in no way a good practice, but a few here and there won't kill ya =)
Old 01-24-2012, 11:01 AM   #26
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post
Our spotties and those are not actually the same fish. Plus taste depends on the diet of fish as well. Bajas spotties are delicious though.
Interesting! The link below will take you to the paper talking abou the genetic differences...

http://www.utoledo.edu/nsm/lec/pdfs/doversole.pdf

Yeah the diet of a fish has a huge effect on the outcome of how the fish will taste. I'm sure the bass that eat shit out of the bay are what they eat.... shit!

As far as the genetic differences affecting food tastes.... probably a non-issue...?

As far as the lobsters... I'm been skeptical about eating them out of the bay... especially in front of the nuclear sub base! So far this season all my bugs are from the open ocean!

Last edited by dos ballenas; 01-24-2012 at 12:37 PM.
dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:25 AM   #27
lterrero
Leo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK View Post
you kept a spotty
Amigo Ryan, is like in China, every thing that move is edible..!
lterrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #28
lterrero
Leo

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
X2!!!

I would never eat a spottie caught in the bay. Spotties are not migrating fish. they live and die in the toilet bowl bay.
Good point, but immunization could be a topic?
lterrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:49 AM   #29
Mr. Adventure
Damn Hippy

If it tasted good props to ya!
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote