Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #1
Fishngolf70

First Saltwater Trip - Dana Point

So I'm a freshwater guy and got into kayak fishing about three years ago in Texas and recently relocated back to Southern California. I looked at how much it cost to launch in fresh water and decided to give saltwater a try. The results of my first trip may cause me to never go back. Several small bass on the spinner bait and a nice 28" 7.5lb Halibut as well as a much bigger one on for about 5 minutes until he broke me off! I'm hooked. Just stayed in the Harbor at Dana Point for my first try but I see the wide open ocean in my near future. Any tips on continued Halibut success would be appreciated....Thanks!
Attached Images

Fishngolf70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #2
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

Damn nice catches! And all on the spinner bait! And those are the same clips i used to secure my first hali too lol, did you have a gaff btw?
Old 04-07-2013, 10:47 PM   #3
Amish Ed

Good job. Take that blade down to Mission Bay and you'll really be hooked.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:21 AM   #4
DanaPT

haibut WFO IN the harbor.

Nice work!
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:32 AM   #5
taggermike

Well done and on the first salt trip too. Did that flattie eat the blade? As for hali tips, try the search feature. There are loads of posts about catching them. Here's a quickie though. Halibut can be agressive, as you found out, and will eat plastics, hard and soft jerks baits, flys, crocodiles, crank baits, I've caught a few on yo-yo iron, even seen a 10 lber eat a top water. But to really target and catch the bigger fish consistantly you need a live bait fished right above the bottom. When I'm targeting halibut in the bays I won't even bring artificials, just bait rig Keep up the good work. Mikes
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #6
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

first trip and you already nailed a butt plus lost a monster butt?! you shall never turn back. once you catch YT and WSB... you are NEVER turning back.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:29 PM   #7
Hookedface
Junior

Nice to see that you posted your report. I was the other guy that caught a butt Sunday (25"). It was nice chatting it up with you. If you ever want to hit the fresh water on the yak hit me up on here.

Matt
Hookedface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:54 PM   #8
Fishngolf70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggameaddict View Post
Damn nice catches! And all on the spinner bait! And those are the same clips i used to secure my first hali too lol, did you have a gaff btw?
Just the Bass on spinnerbait....Halibut was on a live sardine and yes I came with the gaff based on reading ahead of time. Now I guess I need a net as I'm not sure what I would have done if I wasn't sure it was a keeper LOL!
Old 04-08-2013, 07:15 PM   #9
Hookalrg1
Junior

Congrats on the hali! That's an awesome start for your first saltwater trip. It looks like you'll do just fine
Hookalrg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:27 PM   #10
steveooo

Nice first post and introduction Congrats on the nice halibut
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #11
min-va

First saltwater trip and you got a legal hali!! Good job!!

I have no idea how many hours i spend on saltwater fishing before i got my first legal hali........lol
Old 04-10-2013, 05:40 PM   #12
PE.rider

Congrats! Nice Halibut!
PE.rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #13
spottie slayer

Did you keep any of the bass?
spottie slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:53 AM   #14
mtnbykr2

welcome to the addiction, LMB are fun, but the possibilities are more fun in the saltwater...
Old 04-11-2013, 09:33 AM   #15
JrBasser

Congrats! Halibut on artificial lures are awesome. Crank bait and Spinnerbait fish cannot be beat when it comes to aggression attacking the lure.

There's not too many places you can lake fish around here in a kayak. And some places have added regulations (Sit inside only). You just gotta poke around until you find the lake you're after.

By the way, since you said you don't know what you would have done if it wasn't legal, I't is a law that you carry a net onboard your kayak. OEX has a great pro mar net that folds up. It's a really nice thin mesh so it doesn't damage the fish. Especialy with halibut, the tails are notorious for splitting inside a net and will, generally, become a big infection and eventually kill the fish. They also fold up super conveniently and are easy to stash away so you got it if you need it, but it doesn't take up any room and you don't find yourself snagging your lures on it. Here's to hoping you use your gaff more often, though Let's go fishin!
JrBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:47 PM   #16
Fishngolf70

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottie slayer View Post
Did you keep any of the bass?
No I didn't, I'm so used to catch and release I just threw them back. Don't think they were legal ones though...I'll start measuring next time.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:49 PM   #17
Fishngolf70

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrBasser View Post
Congrats! Halibut on artificial lures are awesome. Crank bait and Spinnerbait fish cannot be beat when it comes to aggression attacking the lure.

There's not too many places you can lake fish around here in a kayak. And some places have added regulations (Sit inside only). You just gotta poke around until you find the lake you're after.

By the way, since you said you don't know what you would have done if it wasn't legal, I't is a law that you carry a net onboard your kayak. OEX has a great pro mar net that folds up. It's a really nice thin mesh so it doesn't damage the fish. Especialy with halibut, the tails are notorious for splitting inside a net and will, generally, become a big infection and eventually kill the fish. They also fold up super conveniently and are easy to stash away so you got it if you need it, but it doesn't take up any room and you don't find yourself snagging your lures on it. Here's to hoping you use your gaff more often, though Let's go fishin!
Thanks for the info on the net...I will check it out and get one thx!