Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2020, 10:44 AM   #1
Mahigeer

FYI

I thought I share it here the email I got today.
Several years ago I went a meeting about the same subject.

NOAA Fisheries Releases Proposed Rule for Marine Mammal Non-Lethal Deterrents
Today, NOAA Fisheries is soliciting input on a proposed regulation for safely deterring marine mammals from damaging fishing gear or catch, damaging personal or public property, or endangering personal safety. Marine Mammal Protection Act section 101(a)(4)(B) directs the Secretary of Commerce, through NOAA Fisheries, to publish guidelines for safely deterring marine mammals and recommend specific measures to non-lethally deter marine mammals listed as endangered or threatened under the Endangered Species Act. This is an opportunity for the public to provide input on these guidelines and recommended specific measures. NOAA Fisheries has included in the guidelines and recommended specific measures those deterrents that are unlikely to kill or seriously injure marine mammals; we have not evaluated the effectiveness of deterrents.

We are accepting comments on the proposed rule for 60 days through October 30, 2020. For more information, please visit our website.
West Coast Region, NMFS, NOAA | westcoast.recfish@noaa.gov | http://www.westcoast.fisheries.noaa.gov/
7600 Sand Point Way NE
Seattle, WA 98115
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 02:27 PM   #2
chris138
donkey roper

Nothing will kill a WSB bite faster than a light boat tossing salvos of seal bombs into their set. Probably many people on here haven't seen these things in action... it's super annoying. They literally throw explosives in the water to scare off the dogs and cetaceans. Probably better than wrapping a bunch of mammals up to die in the purse seine though, I dunno.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 07:03 PM   #3
skrilla

Take sea lions off the endangered species list. Employ lethal measures for deterrence such as hunt and harvest permit for repeat offenders. Seals are cool they get a stern warning. After that paintballs and .177.