Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2017, 10:49 AM   #1
Iceman
Administrator

Scotty Transducer Mount

Pretty cool option $25.49

Old 03-16-2017, 04:55 AM   #2
FreddoFly
Junior

How's it working for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Pretty cool option $25.49
Hi - Have you been out with it? My Garmin transducer is not to small and I'm currently looking for how I'm going to mount it. I'm looking at RAM Mounts and Railblaza's too...

Hope this works well for you!

"Something's wrong... My kayak isn't under me!"
FreddoFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 06:00 AM   #3
Amish Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddoFly View Post
Hi - Have you been out with it? My Garmin transducer is not to small and I'm currently looking for how I'm going to mount it. I'm looking at RAM Mounts and Railblaza's too...

Hope this works well for you!
Don't forget Mad Frog Gear What kind of yak do you have?
Old 03-16-2017, 06:16 AM   #4
FreddoFly
Junior

Tetra 10

Hi Ed,

I purchased an Ocean Kayak Tetra 10 (not the angler model though) to save $$ up front and rig it my way. I picked up a Garmin 53cv and need to figure out how I'm deploying the thing. I'm leaning more and more toward an "in the water" (i.e., over the side) transducer solution and mounting the FF on the battery box which will be strapped onto the console. This will make the unit more portable too! I'm on the east coast and don't ocean fish. Lake and ponds mainly.

Old 03-16-2017, 06:19 AM   #5
goldenglory18

Hey Ed, have you mounted a FF to your Ride yet?

I picked up the last Midnight 135 that Andy had, and now I'm playing with ideas for the transducer. The way I had mine mounted on previous Ride's (keel mount) wont work this time as I'm going to put a rudder on this one.
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:07 AM   #6
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post

I picked up the last Midnight 135 that Andy had, and now I'm playing with ideas for the transducer. The way I had mine mounted on previous Ride's (keel mount) wont work this time as I'm going to put a rudder on this one.
I made a mount for the stern of my P2T that s.
wings up out of the way if it hits anything or when I'm launching out of copper pipe. It works pretty good but I haven't been in heavy kelp yet to see if it hangs up. So far it hasn't been a debris catcher. I would post a picture but for some reason my new computer won't accept bluetooth files from my phone.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:16 AM   #7
YakHanded
Thread Killer - sorry

Quote:

Not sure if this will help much but I have used the RAM version of this scotty transducer mount on my OK prowler for years.

IMO this one looks better, it stays tighter to the hull and will create less drag when paddling. The RAM trans arm definitely collects debris that I have to clear every so often, but it does fold up and is easy to get at.

I mounted mine just in front of the foot pegs, which makes it an easy connection to the actual FF head unit. Also easy to remove everything and store for transport.

Also nice to be able to turn off sonar and get transducer out of the way when launching/landing in the surf.

I always got better returns from the transducer directly in the water than through the hull so any hassle it causes was always worth it to me....

my 2 cents!
YakHanded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:43 AM   #8
FreddoFly
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakHanded View Post
Not sure if this will help much but.... my 2 cents!
Thanks for this post. I'm looking for what "works" / "worked". You post told me what I wanted to hear. Portability, the transducer can be lifted out easily, and what I find I'm hearing a lot is it's always better is having the transducer "in" the water. Mine reads water temps and I want that accuracy.

Being new to kayak fishing I splurged on my FF but I was able to afford it and plan on using it a lot. I hate being on a lake and "wondering" if I'm over/near fish or not. I'll even be able to chart depths/drop offs, structure, etc. which can only be a plus.

There are many side mounting options available so I'll keep looking and reading what experienced guys have to offer. Thanks!!

Old 03-16-2017, 10:03 AM   #9
Amish Ed

Quote:

Yes, I'm using a MFG Micro Liberator w/TDA for the Transducer. On the Trident I had it mounted to a Yakattack gear track, so it fits the Ride no problem. My back is jacked up at the moment, I'll try to take pictures tomorrow.

What happened with the Thresher?

Freddofly, transducer in the water is definitely the way to go. Sounds like you have the FF/battery mounting decided, you just need to decide on the transducer mount. I would venture to say that the space needed for the mount will determine which one you choose.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:21 AM   #10
FreddoFly
Junior

GArmin Transducer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
Freddofly, transducer in the water is definitely the way to go. Sounds like you have the FF/battery mounting decided, you just need to decide on the transducer mount. I would venture to say that the space needed for the mount will determine which one you choose.
Thanks Ed... I'm not 100% of the FF/battery but leaning that way (portability!).

For the transducer, it's about 6" long and I need a tough mount (I imagine)...

Old 03-16-2017, 11:36 AM   #11
Amish Ed

Do you have a pic of the transducer w/the mounting bracket on it?
Old 03-16-2017, 11:51 AM   #12
goldenglory18

Quote:
Yes, I'm using a MFG Micro Liberator w/TDA for the Transducer. On the Trident I had it mounted to a Yakattack gear track, so it fits the Ride no problem...What happened with the Thresher?
Good call. I totally forgot about that company.

Thresher had a twisted hull. No one is really sure how/why it happened, but of course Andy took care of me and got me into the Ride instead. I liked the Thresher, but I LOVE the Ride (and I better considering it's my fourth Ride I've owned now.... LOL)
Old 03-16-2017, 12:11 PM   #13
Amish Ed

Quote:
Good call. I totally forgot about that company.

Thresher had a twisted hull. No one is really sure how/why it happened, but of course Andy took care of me and got me into the Ride instead. I liked the Thresher, but I LOVE the Ride (and I better considering it's my fourth Ride I've owned now.... LOL)
That's weird that the hull was twisted. Glad you got into something you love though. I'm loving mine too.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:41 PM   #14
goldenglory18

Quote:
That's weird that the hull was twisted. Glad you got into something you love though. I'm loving mine too.
Yeah, super odd and one situation even Wilderness had actually never even seen before. Again, I'm so happy to be back with Wilderness and their service. Malibu was great, but Wilderness is home.

The Ride is such a great platform, I'm glad to see it recreated into the Radar for future use. I'm very comfortable and confident in the Ride. I'm just somewhat concerned about talking it BTB...
Old 03-16-2017, 02:34 PM   #15
Amish Ed

Yeah. I think it would launch fine, but I wouldn't want to try and land one in any kind of surf.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:29 AM   #16
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
I would have bought this had I seem it earlier.....

I ended up using a ram mount and flat aluminum bar on my cobra hope there's no interference with metal....on a hook 5
Old 03-20-2017, 07:39 AM   #17
FreddoFly
Junior

Will Get Mount Attached

Quote:
Hi Ed...
Nope not yet. I could toss it together for another picture or two tough so maybe tonight I'll get that done.
Thanks!

Old 03-20-2017, 08:40 AM   #18
Dave Legacy

I almost didn't get an over-the-side transducer mount, because of a lot of negative feedback from the various forums. Ultimately I'm glad I took a chance on it, because I haven't found the negatives to be that serious. It does pick up some debris that I will periodically need to clear, but I left my transducer arm a little long and the debris has a tendency to move up toward the surface and clear away from the transducer.

I bent the rod in such a way to allow it to sit very tightly to the hull, and I don't really notice much drag. Since I'm paddling (not gracefully either!), not pedaling, I don't really notice the water noise that some complain about. I also swing it up on deck when I'm getting from point-A to point-B. This works well for traveling on the water, but I undoubtly miss out on noticing stuff I might not want to miss! Obviously one wouldn't want to choose this method of transducer mounting over a hull that has a designated recessed mounting point, but it's a good alternative for those of us who don't have that luxury.

I think the Scotty might have an advantage over the RAM arm if it doesn't have slop/flex in it. My ram mount wants to rotate a bit when underway. It's fine because it rotates into the hull, but the spline system on the Scotty I'd imagine really holds it in place well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHELL View Post
I ended up using a ram mount and flat aluminum bar on my cobra hope there's no interference with metal....on a hook 5
A genuine RAM transducer arm is nothing more than an aluminum stock rod with a corrugated plastic cable conduit over it, so I doubt you should have any issue.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:59 AM   #19
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Nice

Can't wait to try it out
Old 03-20-2017, 11:06 AM   #20
FreddoFly
Junior

Transducer with Bracket

Quote:
Hi Ed (All),

Here's the image Ed. I didn't attach the transom mount on this because I think I'll be making a couple of bushings and getting a long SS bolt to go through the whole assembly and onto the end of an over-the-side mount. The bracket isn't heavy at all. SS hardware adds up though... Thoughts?

BTW - The extra threaded inserts in the transducer are for the trolling motor mount option....

@ Dave L: You mentioned "debris" ... Are you referring to the transducer picking up stuff in the water like weeds or debris on the sonar (bad signals or something along those lines)?

Thanks all for your help as I sort this out.