Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2017, 05:35 PM   #41
Harry Hill

this is my first attempt at the sabiki stick, the hard part is tying the sabiki hooks to the swivels. The hooks are snelled onto the leader and don't have eyes. The next one I make I will use small gold hooks and some fly material on the hook so I can tie off to the swivel and have enough leader to work with. Sorry the pictures are sideways, not sure how to fix that
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-03-29 18.20.02.jpg (90.0 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg 2017-03-29 18.20.18.jpg (89.7 KB, 111 views)
Old 03-29-2017, 08:56 PM   #42
Dingokevin

Looks good

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Dingokevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:01 PM   #43
Harry Hill

I was just messing about while paddling out to the pipe so I hung a jig off the bottom instead of a weight but it wasn't heavy enough and with the resistance of the rod and the light jig it trailed almost straight out behind the kayak. I think it would have worked okay in the bay rigged like that but in open water a heavier weight is needed. I like the carbon fiber rod though, the leader goes right through it and I epoxied the beads on to hold the swivels in place. Hanging straight down the hooks don't get tangled.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:42 PM   #44
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

I hate that!!!
tunaseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:57 AM   #45
philbro
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
I got the first two make. The easy part is running 40lb flourocarbon down the tube for the swivels. Putting beads on the tube wasn't bad, I bought a bag of what is called pony beads, about 100 for $3, the carbon fiber tube was about $4, swivels $2 and $5 for the sacrificial sabiki. The hard part is putting the sabikis on the swivels. They are on short leaders and they are snelled onto the leaders so you can't replace the leader. You want them short enough to not get tangled with each other but about 4" long to hold them off the rod. I tied them on this time but I think a crimp will also work. I will let you know how it works when I get out next week.

Nice work. Sounds exactly like my prototype version 1.0. You're so right about putting the sabikis onto the swivels. The dropper lines were too short to allow a good uni knot. Well no, you could tie a knot but then the dropper was way too short, so then I got a sabiki manufacturer to custom make them for me. They are now called mini-traces.

philbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:15 AM   #46
philbro
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDave View Post
So roughly $25 to $30 in US currency. Not bad.

Do you have an estimate on when they would become available?

Hi PapaDave,
The Kickstarter Project is running now. If you make a pledge you can get one (or two) as reward.

I don't think we're allowed to post links. It should come up top if you Google:
Blackbow The Easy Sabiki

cheers.
philbro is offline   Reply With Quote