Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2012, 03:06 PM   #1
TJones

hobie live well help

one of batterys went dead for hobie live well. picked one up at frys for about 10 bucks less. 7 amp instead of 8 amp. i cut the connector off old battery and put it on new battery. when i charged it up with the standard hobie charger it i charged up very fast. to fast. why is this ? will this battery have a decent output time? the battery was sitting on metal shelf at frys which would decharge the battery given enough time? correct? which would mean the battery would be, or should be completly dead. in that situation the battery should take more the 5 hours to juice up . but it took only 3 or less. again it was a 6 volt 7amp . as oposed to 6 volt 8 amp. one amp should not make much differece, correct? is this gonna work for a reasonable amount of time. my other option is get heavy duty battery from hobie. i saw one on the kevins yak. does anyone know where to get one? it would come with a new live well cover to accomadate extra width. any advice would be appreciated. thanks.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:37 PM   #2
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

I was told the Hobie batteries come charged, but when I bought it a few weeks ago it took a couple of hours to juice it up. The newer/bigger battery fits under the stock cover. Hope this helps
Old 07-16-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
TJones

any info helps

thanks. i was under the general impression that most batterys are complety dead when new? i know i am not the first person to try this. the question is , will it work with reasonble success ? the amp difference should not make a terrible amount of difference? right? i still have one original hobie battery that i will use, and the modified battery as backup. i am not sure why i am even worried about it anymore , i can not even outlast the one battery on the water , these last few outtings. . it is nice to have a battery that you do not have to fudge with on the water should you decide to have an extended stay on the water. thanks again.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #4
TJones

i did locate

a heavy duty battery online. 10 amp 6 vlt. that should last a good 8 - 10 . sold with out cover. price was over 40 $ you think the original cover will saffice?
Old 07-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #5
mtnbykr2

I am about to get my third battery for my livewell, I got another 7amphr this
last one and I would like to bump it up to 8 or 10 amp hr I know the 10 is larger
I borrowed one on the Islander trip, but the cover does't fit, so I was thinking of
trying to fit a different box or modify the cover...anyway you need to check the stock charger and see if it is getting the 8-10 amp hr battery charged to max, as in checking the output of the charger, so i would be interested in what you find out as well...
Old 07-16-2012, 05:55 PM   #6
StinkyMatt

6volt charger will charge it regardless of it it's 6amp hrs or 10amp hrs. Amp hrs is the "amount" of juice you have.

The gray and blue batteries fit, but the cover does not sit down perfectly like the old battery.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:23 PM   #7
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 View Post
I know the 10 is larger
I borrowed one on the Islander trip, but the cover does't fit, so I was thinking of
trying to fit a different box or modify the cover...
The 10 I bought from OEX Oceanside fits perfectly in my stock Hobie livewell.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:43 AM   #8
gupppy

If you have a decent volt meter you can test it. Or run your livewell with the new battery for a few hours and then charge it again.
gupppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:03 AM   #9
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 467echo View Post
The 10 I bought from OEX Oceanside fits perfectly in my stock Hobie livewell.
thanks for the info, I will go that way....
Old 07-17-2012, 07:28 AM   #10
deepdvr

FYI. There is a 6V 12 AMP that comes in the same size casing as the 6V 10AMP.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:14 AM   #11
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepdvr View Post
FYI. There is a 6V 12 AMP that comes in the same size casing as the 6V 10AMP.
Even better...6v 12amphr...thanks
Old 07-17-2012, 03:59 PM   #12
TJones

went to shop today

had dealer call hobie. looks like they only carry one battery and one cover now . probably 10 amp and extra wide cover. is the molding on the battery recepticle of tank same on new ones? and the only difference cover? 10 or 12 should be more than enough for those long nites of sea bass fishing .
Old 07-17-2012, 04:13 PM   #13
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
had dealer call hobie. looks like they only carry one battery and one cover now . probably 10 amp and extra wide cover. is the molding on the battery recepticle of tank same on new ones? and the only difference cover? 10 or 12 should be more than enough for those long nites of sea bass fishing .
"Mcgyver" that's what I'm takin' bout...good info here right when I needed it thanks