Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 07-14-2012, 08:09 PM   #1
icelogger

Starter rod and reel

What is the best starter rod and reel that is decent for everything?
I'm looking at buying two rods and reels.

Thanks
icelogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:17 PM   #2
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by icelogger View Post
What is the best starter rod and reel that is decent for everything?

Thanks
This question has a lot of variables. What is your budget? What type of fishing are you planning to do?

Decent for everything can't happen, but you can usually get by with just two set ups if you really needed to, which will cover almost everything.

The biggest problem is having to have a stick to throw irons long distances or a lighter setup for small plastic swimmers. If you take that element out you can get by with one rod used for making baits, live lining bait, dropper looping squid strips for stuff and maybe yoyo.

A used Sealine will get you by and you get get them for <$100, a decent stick for everything would be something like a

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/rod...-boat-rod.html

Walmart has some Penn combos which aren't bad for the money.

If you're planning to throw plastics for Sand bass or Calicos, you can get a cheap bass combo for under $75
Old 07-14-2012, 10:14 PM   #3
icelogger

Thanks for the beta. I currently have two medium action spinning sticks set up for northern pike and walleyes, right now. For fish up to 15ibs.

I see that alot of guys use bait casting rods and reels for kayak fishing the ocean. These bait casters are not the typical large mouth bass bait casters I'm use to using on lakes. They're huge!

I'd like to get two saltwater bait casting sticks for yak fishing. I plan to go after the biggest fish I can catch from the kayak.

One for casting long distance yo yo irons and surface irons. And another one I'm still figuring out. Any suggestions would be great.

I plan to do all types of kayak fishing.

Budget is around $300 for two set ups
Old 07-14-2012, 11:56 PM   #4
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by icelogger View Post
Thanks for the beta. I currently have two medium action spinning sticks set up for northern pike and walleyes, right now. For fish up to 15ibs.

I see that alot of guys use bait casting rods and reels for kayak fishing the ocean. These bait casters are not the typical large mouth bass bait casters I'm use to using on lakes. They're huge!

I'd like to get two saltwater bait casting sticks for yak fishing. I plan to go after the biggest fish I can catch from the kayak.

One for casting long distance yo yo irons and surface irons. And another one I'm still figuring out. Any suggestions would be great.

I plan to do all types of kayak fishing.

Budget is around $300 for two set ups
Yoyo irons are jigged vertically, you don't cast them out.

If you do a search you'll find A LOT of threads on this topic.

For $300 pick up two used Daiwa Sealine 30 or 40's. Probably the most valued kayak reel there is. You can get the pair for around $100-$140 depending on if you can find a deal.

Next you'll need the rods. You'll want a longer rod for surface irons. Something in the 8'-9' range. Something affordable might be the 8' Shimano Teremar. They range from $80-$110
A good affordable yoyo/bait rod can be found for around $80-$100. You'll want something like a 25-40 or 30-(40)-50

You have A TON of options when it comes to those, they're much easier to come by than the surface throwers.

Next, consider line. it will cost you around $20-$28 to spool a reel with 220 yds of 65# spectra, and for the surface iron set up, you can go with #40.
If you fill a chunk of the spool with mono backing you'll save some money on the spectra.

Now, irons. They run about $8-$12 each

Don't forget Flouro leader. A 25yd spool of good 30lb Seagaur or Hi-Seas will run you $10-$17

Hooks, oh yeah. a 6pack of 2/0 Ringed owners fly liners are $7. Some non ringed Mutu Circles are about $4. You'll need a bunch of those.

A gaff? Glad you asked. I'm assuming you don't have one since you fish for smaller fish. You're looking at around $20-$50 depending if you make your own or not.

A bait tank, almost forgot. You're fishing for local big game right? Gotcha. Need a way to keep your bait alive! A bait tank can run you $80-$300 depending on your level of craftsmanship. However bait tubes are a common cost effective way to keep bait alive. They run about $14 to make yourself.

That should get you started! Good luck, welcome to the money pit!

ps. You can tell I spend a lot of time in the tackle shops =/
They need to stop hiring cute girls to work the counters
Old 07-15-2012, 07:13 AM   #5
tacmik

Try squidco. Let them know what you are fishing for and how and let them know how much you have to spend. They will set you up. Most knowledgeable and best prices.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:09 AM   #6
DanaPT

I think I've read somewhere on this site that some guys use this type of gear. . .

Search the site. Pick your weapon based on your game.

snoopy kills!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail.aspx.jpg (4.0 KB, 175 views)
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:09 AM   #7
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

get in touch with John aka fishaholic.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ght=fishaholic

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:56 AM   #8
taggermike

Good call about contacting Fishoholic, that guy has a tackel shop in his garage. Going with used gear can be a good idea. Most of my stuff is second hand and it kills fish just find. The rods you have should work fine in the bay and for bass inshore. 2 rods for our bigger fish might be a 7 foot bait stick rate 20-40. Daiwa sealines, Newells, or Penn jigmasters would be a cheap way to start. This out fish could be a yo-yo iron stick. If you want a surface jig stick some thing 8-9 feet with a sealine 40 would be a good choice. Many anglers in So Cal like the Calstar and Seeker rods cause they're great rods and made in So Cal. They are a bit pricey but good. There are many good choices though; Saber, Pacifica, even Ugly Stick Tigers kill fish damn well. Iron fishing isn't a finesse style so go ahead and use the 40lb. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:02 PM   #9
icelogger

Thumbs up

Thanks guys.

Drake, I read somewhere that a good technique for yo yoing is to cast your iron as far as you can, let it drop to the bottom, and start cranking and slashing. A long cast will cover more area to trigger strikes. That makes sense to me. However, i am a newbie and haven't tried irons. Plus I like casting a country mile. Thanks for the list of gear to consider buying. First thing I need to buy is a boat. Ive been researching a ton of boats and narrowed my search to a stealth 12 or a ultra trident. I want a boat I can paddle with a built in live well/bait well. I saw a nice combo with gaff and accessories for $79 on kayak fishing supplies. com

Takmik, I'll check out squidco.

DanaPT, lol...Snoopy rods rock. They are pig slayers!

Buskid, yeah I've seen fishoholics traveling store on here. That sound perfect to get some used gear. I'm gonna try and get to one of his swaps.

Mike, those calstar 's look nice. I like the idea of getting an ugly stick. Cheap and they will hold up to a lot of abuse as I learn limitations of gear

Last edited by icelogger; 07-15-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:17 AM   #10
Chief Gunner

I would agree with taggermike's post & recommend two Penn 500HS Jigmasters (with aluminum spools) matched to Ugly stick Tiger rods (they are rated for 20-50lb test).

The 500's have been around forever and are used by all the cattle boats (charters) as rentals here in san diego for good reason....

They are not that expensive, they are dependable, simple to use and rugged (just think about how often they get used as rentals). Once you get proffeceint with them there is a ton of upgrades available for them (drags, frames,spools, gears etc).

The Shakespeare Ugly Stick tigers are reasonably priced and they are damn tough rods, I have one and use it regularly with my Shimano TLD 20/40S. With a line range frrom 20-50lb your options and style of fishing are almost limitless.

I have some high dollar Shimano and AVET reels but still keep a few 500's in my arsenal as back ups because I have used them for years and I know from personal experience that they can get the job done for just about anything you will catch here in SOCAL.

Just my humble opinion, you should be able to find two New set up's (500's & tiger sticks) for right around $300 if you don't want to buy used. You can even get extra spools later and then have 20, 30 and 40lb spools with you so you can swap them out quickly to match what the conditions are.

Treat them right and they will last you for years.

Last edited by Chief Gunner; 07-16-2012 at 02:38 AM.
Chief Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote