Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2006, 08:41 PM   #1
blackcloud9
Kayaker

LJ 4/1 Ling Opener

Fished 100-115 feet of water off Marine Street area for a couple of hours 8 -10 am before the seminar at Fastlane Kayaks in Mission Bay (a Hobie Fishing Workshop).

Found good bait marks deep. Caught 2 lingcod and a nice red on white plactics, big ling went 31", and I released a 23 incher too. Also managed two calicos on the way in, on plastics too.

No foolin' here ..... a huge school of yellows crashed around on bait for 5 minutes just 200 yards north of me, about 100' of water but I couldn't get there in time before they'd sunk out.

Cool breezy South wind 10-15kts - almost didn't launch but super glad I did! Get 'em!!

blackcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 03:55 AM   #2
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

nice fish....great album....looking to pick up a kayak soon...maybe ill see ya out there..good luck
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 07:44 AM   #3
MKNOTT

Nice lunch meat Larry. Good to hear about the yellows. MKNOTT

When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea, <O
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman.
MKNOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 08:10 AM   #4
Iceman
Administrator

Larry, glad to see you getting on the water. Nice ling and good to hear the YT are around. I launched from your neck of the woods for a (too) short PM session. Here is my report.

Work was very slow for a Saturday, so I took a chance on fishing 4-sunset. first time launching at Big Rock. I ended up having to go back to work before sunset, but managed one calico on a 5"MC smelt pattern and a trophy sculpin on a dead grunion. There were a handful of freedivers out. Water looked really clean. seeing the bottom in 15-20 feet. Winds were around 10-15 kts from the NW. Surf was cake as I launched and landed at intervals where there was no surf. Even the small shorepound made me nervous. I did have to scramble to get out and pull the yak up before it got hit and went sideways. I plan to fish this spot alot. 3-4 pound calicos are common, just not enough time today. I just entered the West Coast Bassers on www.sdkayakfishing.com I had a little trouble with my scale, so I may have the smallest bass nailed for my first WCB submission.

Old 04-02-2006, 09:29 AM   #5
blackcloud9
Kayaker

Andy you must be mistaken as there are no bass anywhere near this launch site. btw, Whats that funny checkerboard-lookin' thing you are holdin' up? :roll: :lol:

And on summer evenings I always get skunked here.

(If you do launch at Winamar, be sure to put a lock on your wheels if you leave them by the stairs - I used to be a little too trusting! :shock: )
blackcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 06:46 PM   #6
cabojohn
PROBATION

Is that a kayak or soap box racer?
Sure looks like a fun way to launch!
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote