Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 07-02-2011, 08:40 PM   #1
kurtfish

Family on the Fourth

While I am fishing for Striped Bass with my father in-law in New Hampshire over this national holiday weekend I hope you all are not nailing too many Yellowtail with the sun finally shining in San Diego. I enjoyed some very nice waves while bodysurfing solo at Boomer on Friday afternoon so I certainly am not complaining about being away from La Jolla this weekend.

Over the past year I have had the privilege of experiencing our incredible freedoms with my children on our local waters. It is sad to think that our ventures may soon be limited by the implementation of the MLPA. This past Tuesday morning my son and I launched from La Jolla Shores at 3:30am and Lucas landed the below pictured WSB by 5:30am.
Name:  Lucas'WSBJune11 (2).JPG
Views: 907
Size:  135.2 KB

This was our second early morning trip in the month of June and Lucas was on a roll with a very nice Calico hooked and landed on his own during our previous La Jolla venture.
Name:  LucCaliJune2011 (4).jpg
Views: 911
Size:  66.0 KB

Lucas and I have shared numerous fishing related experiences together over the past year including testifying at several MLPA meetings last year. But I have to say pulling a 40 pound WSB into Lucas’ lap at dawn on that morning after he was begging me not to fish for Macs at the pier because he was quite afraid from the waves we had just splashed through at the launch is right on the top of list.
Name:  LucasKJune 2011 (2).jpg
Views: 914
Size:  71.5 KB

I wish all BWE members a very happy Independence Day especially our veterans and current service members who provide us the opportunity to celebrate our freedom every day in this incredible country. I would also like to wish my colleague, Robert Fletcher all the best with his ongoing efforts to fight the implementation of the MLPA on our behave. Please continue to support his tireless efforts at Keep America Fishing.org. Bob & I look forward to seeing many of you and your families at the Bill Poole Memorial Tournement BBQ and silent auction on July 31st at www.hswri.org.

Last edited by kurtfish; 07-02-2011 at 09:04 PM.
kurtfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:15 PM   #2
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

That's awesome Kurt! You will both remember that day forever. I'm sure my nephew will remember the day I strapped him on the back of the yak for a quick spin around LJ. And I can't wait till my daughter is big enough to make it out with me. TL, Eric
Old 07-02-2011, 09:54 PM   #3
GBF

It's great you guys are getting the family out. Those are memories that will last a lifetime!!

GBF
Old 07-03-2011, 08:59 AM   #4
WahooUSMA

Enjoy it while you can and don't blink. They will be gone before you know it!

I had a long, sad good-bye this morning as my son left for his first assignment: 1-ID/2nd Infantry Div-Ft Lewis. Brand new 2nd Lt!

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:54 PM   #5
kurtfish

Stripers stayed home but family experiences enjoyed

We only caught few Macs and found no Stripers to feed them to. Pictures from a couple years ago will have to do.

Name:  IMG_2888.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  165.5 KB

Last edited by kurtfish; 07-04-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:07 PM   #6
mtnbykr2

bravo Kurt,

enjoy the heck out of that, it will be gone in a heartbeat, awesome post...
very well done, happy INDEPENDENCE day, to all, thank you to all of the troops, hangin in for our A$$E$ here at home.
be safe out there evereyone...peace out .....b
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:37 AM   #7
kurtfish

No Fish but I did catch a few NH waves

We are getting down to a few weeks before the big event in San Diego area fishing this season. No the Tuna Challange is still over a month out. I am of course talking about the Bill Poole Memorial where we all have many chances to participate.

Kayak, spearfishing and various boating divisions all compete for what now looks like the incredible carved wood circle hook trophies and the piece of mind knowing you helped put WSB back inot our local waters. This year's post fishing day BBQ and silent auction look to be even better than the larger Tuna Challange. Bob Fletcher has collected numerous rod and reel combos and a 5-day Spirit of Adventure trip for the auction. Carl and Rick have collected some great trip certificates and tackle as well. We will be featuring a Malibu kayak from OEX with a couple of Fletcher Rods as our silent auction grand prize. We are also close to securing a SUP which you may have compete against me and Hubbs Scientist Mike Shane on the bidding as I have been catching a few New Hampshire SUP waves this week and feeling it may finally be time to add a SUP board to my water craft collection.

Even if you have freinds that give you a hard time about fishing and "depleting" our fish stocks you can invite them to the Hubbs BBQ as the fish being served is auqaculture Sturgeon and the sushi is likely pen raised as well. All the proceeds for the auction and the $25 BBQ ticket price go right to supporting the WSB replenishment program so everyone should be able to be comfortable with that cause. Just suggest your enviro friends don't wear their blue "I LUV MPAs" t-shirts. That would not go over well and we are serving beer and maybe even wine this year so we don't want any bathroom brawls at Hubbs beautiful Mission Bay front location.

Please see the Hubbs website at www.hswri.org and click on the link to find the contest information and entry form. The virtual fishing contest should also be up and running next week where you can form a team of WSB supporters and compete for prizes and recognition as the dominators of the virtual universe.

See you on July 29th for the pre-fishing seminar hosted by Rock Cod Rick and Carl Schmidt. Name:  IMG_Sunset.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  38.0 KB

Kurtfish

Last edited by kurtfish; 07-06-2011 at 05:31 AM.