Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 06-23-2011, 09:28 AM   #1
kurtfish

Good Karma Finally Paid-off & 3 for 1 matching

I launched just after 3 am on the 15th trying to catch-up to a crew of three yaks that got off the beach while I was packing my PA. My new Hydro Glow light created a glow all around my yak and I saw several school of squirts running around my light but not wanting to eat my rigs. I finally snagged a squirts on the bottom where my floating light had no impact. I lost my two beautiful baits to the rock critters and thought my chances of finding an elusive WSB were sunk.

My confidence spiked when Wade shared some intel about a private boater nailing WSB around 7am near the kelp. I tied to a good stringer and sent a lively Greenback out off the edge of the kelp and dropped one down below my yak. My fly lined Mac swam nicely away from my boat then began to sing after soaking for 10 mins. The below pictured pup fought better than my 50 & 60 pounders from last year. I pulled him up three times and he took me back to bottom each time. Once I finally got him tied out he cam up in a mass of kelp and I had to gaff in the dark so even though my circle hook did a great job staying the in corner of his mouth I did not have the option of letting him off the hook to gain a few more pounds. With all the work I have been doing to secure silent auction and cash donations for the Bill Poole Memorial Angling Tourney to benefit Hubbs WSB replenishment program I don't think I would have let him go as I have been looking forward to enjoying my favorite fish to bbq after a good olive oil bath and bread crumb roll.

I hope to head out tomorrow am and try my Hydro Glow Light once again as the CEO of HG has committed to donating a couple of his new HG354s that are perfect for kayaks. Wade did a great job on the below pic with getting the Hydro Glow visible in this shot but the CEO asked for a shot with the Hydro Glow light up below my yak so if you see me out there with my light come by and snag a few squirts while snapping a pic or two to send to HG. Be sure to attend the Hubbs BP Tourney Banquet to bid on the Hydro Glow lights and all the other great rods, reels, fishing trip and dinning certificates. We will even have a case of extra virgin olive oil for WeOlive and our feature auction item will be a Malibu Kayak from OEX with a couple rods form local tackle shops and other great items to complete the package.

Hubbs SeaWorld Research Institute does more than collect WSB heads and put 2 million fingerling WSB back into our local waters. Their scientists have ongoing projects in aquiculture, mammal behavior and marine ecology with a mission statement of "To return to the sea some measure of the benefits derived from it." The foundation's fiscal year ends on June 30th with a 3 to 1 donation matching program currently in place. Every dollar donated before June 30th is matched 3 to 1 so please take a look at the link to their site and consider a donation at this time. 100% of the Bill Poole Memorial entry fee and silent auction proceeds goes to the WSB hatchery program but the other great projects at Hubbs deserve your consideration as well. http://www.hswri.org/Donate_Now.php

HubbsEndOfFiscal2011DonorForm.pdf

Name:  WSB61410.jpg
Views: 1173
Size:  52.3 KB

Last edited by kurtfish; 06-23-2011 at 09:59 AM.
kurtfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:42 AM   #2
T Bone

Good Job Kurt!

How much did the Hydroglow set you back?

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:49 AM   #3
RK

Well done beautiful fish
just food for thought when trying to acquire donations from a company and getting the money shot with perfect product placement, may not be a bad idea to leave the bit about how you caught the fish on a greeny and squirts on a 4 dollar jig.
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:03 AM   #4
kurtfish

Big Hydro Tube apx. $200

The new HG354s have LCDs instead of long flourescent tube so they are worth looking for at www.hydroglow.com

Come out on 7/31 and bid on the HG354s and the money goes to WSB stockings.

Take Care, Kurtfish
kurtfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
Billy V

Nice fish Kurt..
You definitely earned it. Thank You for all the Hubbs support, I know its not easy to gather donated items from vendors in this market -

Hopefully everyone here on BWE will show their support by entering in the Hubbs WSB Tournament this year Especially the New Guys. Its a great way to meet some of the long time BWE members who you see posting online.

I have to say it is a well organized, and family oriented event. The food, prizes, and silent auctions were all 1 st. class.

Fish hard on tournament day - then clean up for an awesome BBQ. and waterfront awards ceremony the next day.

Its a good deal from people who have Our Best Interests at Heart.

---------------------------------
These are the New LED Hydro Glows. I have two of the 1 ft. models. They are so bright that you can barely look at them outside of the water!
-You Only need 1 of these units to get the job done, any more will cook the bait.

They only draw a 1/2 amp per hour, and you can literally run them over with a truck (as Hydro Glow did) These are the most powerful lights you can buy.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:03 AM   #6
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

JORGE!!!!!

WE NEED A HYDROGLOW LIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:00 PM   #7
theluckypig

theluckypig is offline   Reply With Quote