Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2016, 06:22 PM   #1
Orca Winfrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by maquinapescado View Post
If the conditions are so rough that said event could occur, maybe it isn't even safe enough to be in a boat. If your kayak filled with water in these "conditions" and you were tied to it, I believe you'd be safer in your PFD without your kayak.
The day started out as expected as far as the winds were concerned. Our return to the launch brought us outside of a protected area where the wind intensity suprized us and we would not have gone out had we known the winds would have been that much higher than the forecasts. We even checked the reports while on the water and they were reporting only 10mph winds. The lesson we learned was to be very aware of what we were actually feeling rather than going by the weather reports which can lag the current conditions. On the plus side, we learned more about our limits.
Orca Winfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 06:48 PM   #2
pingpangdang

Dafin

Less than 3 lbs. ..float and standard issue for many professional waterman...Hawaii, Australia and U.S. check out their website at dafin.com. Some even prefer them for free diving and less bulky. Just having a pair on me gives me comfort. Besides lifesaving usage body surfers use these even in the biggest surf and swim for hours.

Here is a copy paste from their site

DaFiN is used by thousands of lifeguards and water safety professionals in the United States and around the world. DaFiN is standard issue equipment for the Hawaiian Lifeguard Association. In 2006 DaFiN was endorsed as the ‘Official Swim Fin’ of the United States Lifesaving Association, the premier professional association of beach lifeguards and open water rescuers in the United States. DaFiN has earned its reputation with strong endorsements by the world’s best watermen and was recently featured prominently in the critically acclaimed bodysurfing film ‘Come Hell or High Water’. DaFiN is the #1 choice of lifeguards, bodysurfers, and watermen around the world.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshots_2016-04-10-19-35-21.jpg (35.9 KB, 307 views)
File Type: jpg HSBJG_USLA.jpg (74.2 KB, 321 views)
pingpangdang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:07 PM   #3
Orca Winfrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingpangdang View Post
Less than 3 lbs. ..float and standard issue for many professional waterman...Hawaii, Australia and U.S. check out their website at dafin.com. Some even prefer them for free diving and less bulky. Just having a pair on me gives me comfort. Besides lifesaving usage body surfers use these even in the biggest surf and swim for hours.

Here is a copy paste from their site

DaFiN is used by thousands of lifeguards and water safety professionals in the United States and around the world. DaFiN is standard issue equipment for the Hawaiian Lifeguard Association. In 2006 DaFiN was endorsed as the ‘Official Swim Fin’ of the United States Lifesaving Association, the premier professional association of beach lifeguards and open water rescuers in the United States. DaFiN has earned its reputation with strong endorsements by the world’s best watermen and was recently featured prominently in the critically acclaimed bodysurfing film ‘Come Hell or High Water’. DaFiN is the #1 choice of lifeguards, bodysurfers, and watermen around the world.
Interesting. Definitely will look into this. Thanks.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:24 AM   #4
FullFlavorPike

I would tie off to my boat if I was jumping in on paddies offshore. Otherwise sounds like a bad idea that could become a terrible idea pretty quickly.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:34 AM   #5
Orca Winfrey

Sounds like the consensus is that leashing yourself to your yak could cause the captain to go down with his ship. But isn't that what a true captain is supposed to do?
Old 04-11-2016, 07:41 AM   #6
DanaPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Winfrey View Post
Sounds like the consensus is that leashing yourself to your yak could cause the captain to go down with his ship. But isn't that what a true captain is supposed to do?
it's all replaceable stuff that you can find discounted on craigslist if your patient enough. Not worth going under over.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:08 AM   #7
Orca Winfrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
it's all replaceable stuff that you can find discounted on craigslist if your patient enough. Not worth going under over.
Not worried about losing equipment . All my stuff is from CL, thrift stores, and pawn shops. Worried about me bobbing around in cold water waiting for rescue while drunk boaters zoom around.