Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2015, 09:15 PM   #1
Dave Legacy

Trolling Rods?

Hey all,

I was going through a bunch of my unsused fishing gear this evening and came accross a pair of 5'6" Fenwick Pacificstik Trolling Rods, with roller guides at the base and tip, rated 30-80#. These were given to me a while back and as a surf angler I've never had an application for them. I just got a kayak a couple weeks ago and was wondering if these are too heavy to be practical for trolling around Dana Point? Too heavy for YT, Ok for threshers is my guess...

I'm a novice to kayak fishing, so I'm just taking shots in the dark. If these are too heavy might someone recommend some rod specs for trolling around rapalas/hardbaits?

Best regards,

Dave
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:57 PM   #2
skrilla

When a fish takes you across the bow let us know how it goes.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:44 AM   #3
RobFish
Massive Member

Too short DL.
Like skrilla said, if a fish ran from L to R or vice-versa, you'd never be able to walk it around the nose of your kayak.
Here's a rough estimate of how long your rods should be. Since we sit roughly in the middle of our kayaks, take total length, divide by 2, and add 1. That number in feet is the shortest you should go on your rods…roughly.
Ex. PA12? 12 becomes 6, then 7. All my rods are 7', except my 8' jigstick for surface irons.
No need to rock a 30-80 rod either, as the fish tow us around, which is why we also don't need to run huge reels.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:31 AM   #4
taggermike

A few years ago I had most of my grat stollen. A Buddy loaned me a kencor Baja baby boomer with a 4/0 Penn senator on it to use while reassembled my quiver. The rod was like your troller. 30-80, super stiff, and only 5' I think. The shortest rod id used till that point was 6-6 and I was concerned about the length cause I was fishing out of 16' kayak. But the trouble I had with the rod came from it being so stiff and fast action. It was difficult from a kayak to pull hard enough to even bend the rod to its sweet spot. You may have the same issue with the rods you have. As for going around the bow, no way. Because of this stumpy rod I learned how to fight fish w/o ever moving the roddl around the bow. Instead of of moving the rod i put the rod tip a foot or so under water and the fish will drag the yak around and back over the fish. I now have 7' bait rods but still use the short rod tecnique.

The rods you have are definitely not ideal but they will work will you look for some thing else. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 03:58 PM   #5
Dave Legacy

Thanks for the advice, guys! Now that I know that short rods can be hazardous I'm gonna stick to my 7'+ rods and forget about the short trollers all together. After doing some more reading I'm not sure I want to deal with all the mess of multiple treble-equipped hardbaits either, so if I'm gonn troll around I'm gonna pull a Kroc or swimbait on a lighter rod; Maybe a bonito or something will take it.

I've got a lot to learn. Thanks for not letting me learn the short rod deal the hard way.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote