Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2012, 08:39 AM   #1
Matar
I am just me.

Dana 7-1

Heading out of dana on 7-1 in the early AM. Was thinking of getting some deans and heading to the kelp. Anyone that wants to join is fine but can someone give me any tips on the right set up to use for the live bait as i have done 99.9% of my fishing has been with swim baits.
Thank you.
Matar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:46 PM   #2
DanaPT

Try dragging the bottom.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...hlight=halibut

You can always fly line or add an egg sinker/carolina rig to get the bait lower.

Good luck.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
mtnbykr2

Try a dropper loop...3-4 oz sinker #3 circle keep in touch with the bottom,
after about a 1-1 1/2 hr paddle north look for the sand bottom in 30-50 ft
Good luck out there be safe...I can't make it there this weekend or I would be right there with ya....
Old 07-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
Matar
I am just me.

Went out sunday morning with live bait and the jigs, headed up to the kelp beds (deep inside) found a nice spot where i could drift a long channel with kelp on both sides. Dropped a lively sardean to the bottom, while getting my swimbait rod out my live bait pole wend bendo and nothin. Reeled up to a sardean that looked like it had gone through a blender (at least the middle section, head and tail just fine). After that nothing by short bits the rest of the morning. Thanks for all the help.
Matar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #5
min-va

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matar View Post
Went out sunday morning with live bait and the jigs, headed up to the kelp beds (deep inside) found a nice spot where i could drift a long channel with kelp on both sides. Dropped a lively sardean to the bottom, while getting my swimbait rod out my live bait pole wend bendo and nothin. Reeled up to a sardean that looked like it had gone through a blender (at least the middle section, head and tail just fine). After that nothing by short bits the rest of the morning. Thanks for all the help.
That's why you need a trap rig