Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2013, 05:37 AM   #1
Matar
I am just me.

GoPro Settings

OK to help out a new Gopro user, i would like to ask a couple of questions.

1. What are your settings that you like to use while filming video.
1080, 960, 720 and fps.
MB useage for your setting.

2. Editing Program for both video and pictures

3. Any tips to help save that learning curve desaster of filming a great video.
I.E. Nice picture/video bad quaility.

Thanks for your help.
Matar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:38 AM   #2
Dannowar

The record setting works best for me. My go pro isn't even hd : (
Old 02-07-2013, 07:11 AM   #3
jorluivil

1. What are your settings that you like to use while filming video.
1080, 960, 720 and fps.
MB useage for your setting.

I was using the 1080 setting for a while but it was taking up to much space to fast on my 16g card, I recently switched it to 960 but I don't remember what the FPS is set at.

2. Editing Program for both video and pictures

I use GoPro Cineform and Windows Movie Maker

3. Any tips to help save that learning curve desaster of filming a great video.
I.E. Nice picture/video bad quaility.

If you have a camera with the wifi feature set it up to view on your phone while your at home or before you get on the water, setup the camera so that you get the right angle and you're good to go.

The only other thing to remember is to make sure you clear the memory before you go out again, I can't tell you how many times I've turned it on just to find out that the memory is full. One of the worst features on the Hero3 is that once the card is full it will not let you get into the setting to delete anything, you have to connect it to a laptop/pc to clear the memory.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer

Last edited by jorluivil; 02-07-2013 at 03:58 PM.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:55 PM   #4
GregAndrew

If you do not intend to change formats during your session, set your camera for "one button on" mode. It saves time and confusion.

If you want to capture action video, you should try an option that allows for faster frame rate. It makes for better freeze frame too.

For yak mounts, point your camera downward more than you think. Capturing video yakside will be much more important than anything more than 20 feet away.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:39 AM   #5
fishing-kayak
Junior

I'm using the 1080 setting, it's the best possible quality, but the downside is that it takes too much space for the videos.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:34 AM   #6
Matar
I am just me.

I started a test last night.
Setting 720 with the fastest frame rate.
Got 1-1/2 hours with 6 gigs.
At that point my battery died. I had a full charge when I started.
What kink of life do you get?
Old 02-08-2013, 01:54 PM   #7
Cbad Mike

First..... There are plenty of videos on YouTube that answer your questions...
Second..... I watched them and got more confused because I'm not a camera guy or I have ADD.
Before taking my GoPro on the water I customized my monopod mount and then placed it in all of the rod holders and took pictures so I could see the view and range of view that each mount would produce. This is important because the fish eyes lens means that the camera doesn't have to be pointed directly at you for you to be in the frame.
The only permanent mount that I have is one that I adhered to my FF that enables me to film straight on me at a lower level than the monopod offers. I can also spin the camera for a low center view off the front of the kayak from the FF mount.
As for settings... I use a 32 gig card and try to download files to my computer often to keep the card clear.
The first few times I took the camera out with me I used the LCD back to help me get used to it. It helped but ate the battery up.
Now what I do is shoot everything in the highest quality video mode. This way I can have the highest quality videos that enables me to grab individual frames for photos. To reiterate, I never use the camera mode only the video mode even while "taking pictures" of friends. This way I can go through the video frame by frame for the perfect picture.
One thing I ALWAYS do is to make sure my camera is leashed.... Sounds like a no brainer but there are a lot of GoPros on the ocean floor.
As for battery usage.... I'm on the water 10 hours at a time. I film sea life when I'm bored and turn the camera on when I get hooked up. I've never run out of battery when I don't use the LCD attachment.

SORRY THIS IS LONG WINDED BUT IM PASSING THE TIME AT THE DMV.

I hope this helps a little.

Mike
Cbad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:59 PM   #8
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matar View Post
I started a test last night.
Setting 720 with the fastest frame rate.
Got 1-1/2 hours with 6 gigs.
At that point my battery died. I had a full charge when I started.
What kink of life do you get?
Here are my results:

Full battery charge
Empty SD card
1080P
30FPS

I ended up with just over 14g on the card before the battery went dead at about 2hours

Old 02-08-2013, 06:59 PM   #9
Matar
I am just me.

Everything helps. I have the iPhone app so I am using that to sight in my camera but I thought the battery was supposed to last 2-1/2 hours of recording time.
The info on YouTube is confusing.
That's why I always ask to pros, BWE Junkies.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:10 PM   #10
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matar View Post
Everything helps. I have the iPhone app so I am using that to sight in my camera but I thought the battery was supposed to last 2-1/2 hours of recording time.
The info on YouTube is confusing.
That's why I always ask to pros, BWE Junkies.
When you have the wifi on it drains the battery pretty fast, use it to setup your camera but turn it off once you're done.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:54 PM   #11
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
I have one and am planning to b another. Just buying two and place one when the battery dies and I carry 3-32gb SD cards not to mention another in my waterproof point'n'shoot I can use in an emergency. I'm thinking about carrying a couple of extra charged batteries as the do seem to die quickly if you want the best video quality. Just have to make sure they stay secure in my dry bag!
I think 16gb SD cards are pretty cheap on eBay, I picked up all 4 of my 32gb SD cards for about $30 a pair.
FFY

Last edited by FlyFishinYakr; 02-10-2013 at 06:36 PM.
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:49 PM   #12
Matar
I am just me.

I have used the camera in both 720 and 1080 now just for testing. File size are close to the same. But one thing I noticed is that after the recording reaches 2gigs it starts a new file. So if I have a video that I have recorded for 45 mins I have two mp4 files. Do you guys get this to? After that am I to mend them together on the computer?
Old 02-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #13
GregAndrew

Yes, when you edit the videos you can put them back together. And yes also on all their cameras splitting up large files. In 1440p on the Black GoPro 3 the files are only about 15 minutes each.

The problem with carrying multiple batteries is that you need to reset your date/time each time you remove the battery. That can be a hassle on the water. Also, I believe that the file numbers reset each time you remove the battery (you start over at GoPro001).
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote