Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2016, 12:47 PM   #1
Denis_Ruso

2016 Gonzaga Bay, Baja - Thanksgiving Weekend

In addition to SDRob's and CJLeon's report, I wanted to recap my experience of my first time in Gonzaga Bay, Mexico.

Wednesday Nov 23
CJLeon and I were packed, ready and on the road at 4:15 AM.

By about 8:30 AM we met Druko, Chris138 +3 in Calexico just before the border. By around 8:45 the caravan of 4 cars were across the border, double parked and getting our FMM visas.

Short stop in San Felipe for tequila and gas we arrived in Gonzaga Bay at the 134 Kilometer Marker around 2:30.

We met SD rob and dispersed across the camp. With not much sunlight left CJleon and I made our way to the rocks and fished from shore for a little for about 5 small spotted bay bass.

Thurs Nov 24
The weather was forecast to be windy and it did not disappoint. Winds roared and kept us off the water most of the day. We fished the shore a little more for a few more spotted bay bass. We also launched at Papa Fernandez just before sunset with nothing to show for it as the wind kept us in very shallow water. We used the time to explore the area and check out Alfonsinas further south. Many Cervesas and margaritas were has at the restaurant and we decided that this would be an ideal launch location for the next morning.

Friday, Nov 25

CJLeon and I wake up with the sunrise and are the only ones to leave camp this early. We pass the military checkpoint and have some trouble with the guards letting us to the Alfonsinas area this early as the restaurant was closed. CJLeon didn't take no for an answer and persuaded them to let us in.

We launch early in the morning and I get my first fish on the trolled rapala. A pesky trigger fish that bit my rapala while I was completely stopped talking to CJ.

Nearing around the first cove and a few triggerfish later, we see our first boil. I am able to land a 6 lb yellowtail in 15 ft of water by the island and loose it right at the kayak. I see the boil pop up and sink out a couple of times. We are able to get on it again and I land another small yellowtail. We find another boil where I am able to land a 1lb sierra.

The boils disappear and we see some birds working at outside point of the island. We paddle 2 more miles to the point and find this area loaded with yellowtail. I am able to put 3 more yellowtail from 7-12 lb onboard and CJ catches his 1st yellowtail ever.

As we get off the water around noon. The rest of the group shows up ready to fish. We give them our fish report and paddle back in. Back at the camp we clean fish and wait for the others to return.

Saturday, Nov 26

With the best weather forecast and a plan to return to yesterday's bite we woke up even earlier than the day before. We planned to paddle farther this day. As we gathered and got on our way we saw some coastal action and launch much closer to camp than planned. (Boil 20 Ft from the beach)

Chris and Druko planned to hit the island and Rob had work to be done on his place so Cj and I were on our own again. We launched in search of the school we saw earlier, it took us an hour but OH BOY did we find them!

We spent an hour being pestered by wide open spotted bay bass, trigger fish and baby grouper. Then finally the boils appear around the next point.

The yellowtail were pushed up against the rocks in 2-4 ft of water, with birds diving and boils everywhere. There was a ton of micro (half inch) bait in the water and everything was feasting. The grade was small but there were some bruisers mixed in. 6-20 lb grade.

We also encountered a small school of whiteseabass boiling and big sierra splashing on the outside of these boils in 10-15 ft a little deeper. Either way, the next few hours were wide open on a variety of fish. It was a sight to be seen and words just don't do it justice. So I will just leave you with this:

https://vimeo.com/193773557?ref=em-
Attached Images

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 01:19 PM   #2
octico

Great report thanks!
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 02:00 PM   #3
YakDout
Brandon

Nice report!

I think they didnt let you through checkpoint because of your hat...
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 02:27 PM   #4
taggermike

Looks like a great time. Those under water shots of the free swimmers are amazing.
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 03:15 PM   #5
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

Nice video Denis! It's giving me Baja withdrawals already.
Way to go on the release of some of the smaller YT to get bigger. Can't wait to do it again.

I'm telling ya, you have to keep these suckers on a game clip until just before you drop them in the frying pan.(Rossman)
SDROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 03:23 PM   #6
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Looked like a good trip. One question, were those your carcases we found on the beach? If so in the future borrow my quad and dump them in the desert, it helps keep our beaches clean. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDROB View Post
Nice video Denis! It's giving me Baja withdrawals already.
Way to go on the release of some of the smaller YT to get bigger. Can't wait to do it again.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 04:12 PM   #7
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
Looked like a good trip. One question, were those your carcases we found on the beach? If so in the future borrow my quad and dump them in the desert, it helps keep our beaches clean. Thanks.
Not sure what carcasses your talking about Bob. I left mine in the desert behind Lupe's house. It must of been somebody else.

I'm telling ya, you have to keep these suckers on a game clip until just before you drop them in the frying pan.(Rossman)
Old 11-30-2016, 04:27 PM   #8
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Not sure what carcasses your talking about Bob. I left mine in the desert behind Lupe's house. It must of been somebody else.
Nice work Rob, there were 7 small tail bodies on the beach when we got back. So I assumed again................See you soon.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 11-30-2016, 04:42 PM   #9
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

Now thinking about it I do remember seen JP's guys cleaning fish on shore on the beach and dumping the carcasses right in front of Ruben's house. They had the panga beached and were cleaning fish there in front of the big rock formation that used to be a palapa.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:48 PM   #10
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Now thinking about it I do remember seen JP's guys cleaning fish on shore on the beach and dumping the carcasses right in front of Ruben's house. They had the panga beached and were cleaning fish there in front of the big rock formation that used to be a palapa.
No problem,I am sure they did not know. Tight Lines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 11-30-2016, 05:04 PM   #11
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

JP as in Juan Pablo's guys. They definitely knew what they were doing.

Old 11-30-2016, 05:42 PM   #12
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
JP as in Juan Pablo's guys. They definitely knew what they were doing.
SHEET!!!!!!!

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 11-30-2016, 08:20 PM   #13
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
Looks like a great time. Those under water shots of the free swimmers are amazing.
One didn't look so free to me...nice shot with the iron hanging from it's mouth.
Sounds like a fun trip.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:29 AM   #14
2-Stix

awesome denis!
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 07:06 AM   #15
Druko

Great report Dennis! Great first trip for sure and more to come next year.
Druko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:14 PM   #16
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Nice report!

I think they didnt let you through checkpoint because of your hat...
It was less the military checkpoint, more the security at the gate to the Alfonsinas neighborhood. But I'm sure the hat didn't help either.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote