Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-05-2018, 08:26 AM   #1
captwoody
Junior

I 11S input

Looking for input from I11s owners. I have a 2016 outback but I am currently hurt and cant lift to roof of my jeep. I feel the I11 is light enough to put in back of jeep and would make a good motorhome option once I get my surgery and am better. Pros? Cons? I have seen all the videos looking for real world input
captwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:52 AM   #2
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Outback: hull weight 80 lbs, rigged weight 100 lbs

Mirage i11s: hull weight 35 lbs, rigged weight 65 lbs

Bag dimensions: 36" x 25" x 12"

(just thinking out loud)
Old 04-05-2018, 10:18 AM   #3
Saba Slayer

i11s

CCA CAL and Hobie gave away 2 of the i11s Mirage Drive inflatables last year in our Battle of the Bays tournaments...so I got to play around with them a little and we also had a contest at the Hall shows to see who could inflate the kayak the fastest...57 seconds was the best time with most around 1 min. 15 sec...so... as you can see it's pretty easy to inflate and assemble. Andy had a brand new i11s out last Saturday at his Demo Day.
It's really fast with the Mirage Drive and I believe it comes with the new 180 drive...
It's a rigid inflatable flat bottom boat which also allows it to be stripped down of the Vantage seat and Mirage Drive and a fin attached to the bottom and it can then be used as an SUP.
There are a few cool aftermarket methods for adapting the under-seat area for a fish finder, transducer support, pole holders, and battery storage.
The fitted hull weight is 36lbs and the fully rigged weight is about 65lbs which is about the same weight when everything is in the wheeled storage bag.

Hashem is a new owner of an i11s so he might be a good source to PM on the boat.

Good Luck

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:04 AM   #4
NICKWORN

IPA's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
CCA CAL and Hobie gave away 2 of the i11s Mirage Drive inflatables last year in our Battle of the Bays tournaments...so I got to play around with them a little and we also had a contest at the Hall shows to see who could inflate the kayak the fastest...57 seconds was the best time with most around 1 min. 15 sec...so... as you can see it's pretty easy to inflate and assemble. Andy had a brand new i11s out last Saturday at his Demo Day.
It's really fast with the Mirage Drive and I believe it comes with the new 180 drive...
It's a rigid inflatable flat bottom boat which also allows it to be stripped down of the Vantage seat and Mirage Drive and a fin attached to the bottom and it can then be used as an SUP.
There are a few cool aftermarket methods for adapting the under-seat area for a fish finder, transducer support, pole holders, and battery storage.
The fitted hull weight is 36lbs and the fully rigged weight is about 65lbs which is about the same weight when everything is in the wheeled storage bag.

Hashem is a new owner of an i11s so he might be a good source to PM on the boat.

Good Luck

I was one of those contestants, but being slightly buzzed from the $12 IPA's kept me around the 90 second mark. LOL
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 01:22 PM   #5
Mahigeer

I love mine because I can take a kayak to Catalina via Catalina express.

Having said that and being an honest person here is my take on it. Time will tell if I am correct.
It is portable. After spending nearly $1100.00 on Thule Hullavator to lift my Outback on the roof of the new 4Runner, I am not satisfied with the unit. The Thule I mean.
The i11 will fit in the back of SUV.

The setup which is inflating and setting up took me about 2 hours in hot sun in Catalina the first time. Thus, I stayed overnight on the pier, so I could fish the next day. Then deflate, clean and packed next day for the return home. I am not fast or as young as others perhaps.

For now I have to store it deflated in the bag between trips. That concerns me if the bends will eventually crack. I was advised by Shane of Hobie to perhaps cover it when in Baja when not used to reduce the heat from sun rays.
Not too much can be added to the kayak to make it like the other fishing kayaks. The less is more applies here.

I bought about $3-4 hundred Dollars’ worth of raffle ticket at the two CCA events last year trying to win the first prize, which was the inflatable. However, some member here gave me the evil eye and I did not.

I did win bunch of other cool stuff including a rod, but not the kayak.
Thus, I bought a used one from Andy. It does come with the 180, reversible Mirage drive. I like it since I can use it in my Outback as well.

Good investment I would say overall. The high seat keeps the angler dry too.

Hashem
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 04:17 PM   #6
captwoody
Junior

Thanks for the replies, I wanted to go to demo day but I ended up buying a house in Escondido and could not make it. Good news I go from 70 minutes to beach to 25 minutes. I am originally from SD so glad to be moving back.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:59 PM   #7
cris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
I love mine because I can take a kayak to Catalina via Catalina express.

Having said that and being an honest person here is my take on it. Time will tell if I am correct.
It is portable. After spending nearly $1100.00 on Thule Hullavator to lift my Outback on the roof of the new 4Runner, I am not satisfied with the unit. The Thule I mean.
The i11 will fit in the back of SUV.

The setup which is inflating and setting up took me about 2 hours in hot sun in Catalina the first time. Thus, I stayed overnight on the pier, so I could fish the next day. Then deflate, clean and packed next day for the return home. I am not fast or as young as others perhaps.

For now I have to store it deflated in the bag between trips. That concerns me if the bends will eventually crack. I was advised by Shane of Hobie to perhaps cover it when in Baja when not used to reduce the heat from sun rays.
Not too much can be added to the kayak to make it like the other fishing kayaks. The less is more applies here.

I bought about $3-4 hundred Dollars’ worth of raffle ticket at the two CCA events last year trying to win the first prize, which was the inflatable. However, some member here gave me the evil eye and I did not.

I did win bunch of other cool stuff including a rod, but not the kayak.
Thus, I bought a used one from Andy. It does come with the 180, reversible Mirage drive. I like it since I can use it in my Outback as well.

Good investment I would say overall. The high seat keeps the angler dry too.

Hashem
I'd love to hear more about your catalina trip with the i11s Hashem!
cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:08 PM   #8
Mahigeer

Well,
Ever since the Mole was closed to hooping for lobsters due to MLPA, I wanted to find a way to hoop around the Avalon with kayak.

The Catalina Express does not allow kayaks on their ferries. The kayak rentals are not available at night. The boat rental is closed during winter months.
Even in summer they are available at night.
Sending a kayak to Avalon is costly and not practical.

I therefore bought a kayak (and found this site), so I could go hooping on the mainland. So far I have not done so due to safety concerns.

However, when I saw the i11S I had a new way to fish the Avalon. I have rented kayak at Avalon one time. It was paddling a cast iron tub with an anchor dragging behind it. Very heavy kayak. It was a very bad experience.

So far I have been to Avalon once with the i11S and plan to go back very soon. I wanted to post some pictures today, but had trouble uploading pictures again.

I will try to post a report when I come back.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:44 AM   #9
monstahfish

These are great boats and I have taken them to florida, aruba and a few other places. I've actually had one out in 25kt winds and 3ft chop with no problems. That part of the benefit of the flat open deck is the water washes right off. Another really cool feature is how shallow it can go I pedaled across a 8in deep flat while others had to walk their kayaks across in florida, but that doesn't really register around here.
You don't have to worry about it cracking while folded, it's made for that. The biggest concern is warping the well or blowing a seam which are easily preventable. This can happen with leaving the pressure very high for long periods of time in high heat or putting too much pressure in. One example would be keeping it inflated at full pressure then strap it to the roof(adding even more pressure) of their car under heavy tension, then leave it in 90+ degree heat in direct sunlight. It specifically states in the manual not to do this. I would also put the mirage well plug in when not using it just for an extra factor of safety. You can leave it out in the sun during trips but it's not meant to be left out for weeks at a time. I would recommend reducing the pressure when not using it then just give it a quick top off when you're ready to go.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 10:00 AM   #10
Saba Slayer

great advice...!

GREAT ADVICE...
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstahfish View Post
These are great boats and I have taken them to florida, aruba and a few other places. I've actually had one out in 25kt winds and 3ft chop with no problems. That part of the benefit of the flat open deck is the water washes right off. Another really cool feature is how shallow it can go I pedaled across a 8in deep flat while others had to walk their kayaks across in florida, but that doesn't really register around here.
You don't have to worry about it cracking while folded, it's made for that. The biggest concern is warping the well or blowing a seam which are easily preventable. This can happen with leaving the pressure very high for long periods of time in high heat or putting too much pressure in. One example would be keeping it inflated at full pressure then strap it to the roof(adding even more pressure) of their car under heavy tension, then leave it in 90+ degree heat in direct sunlight. It specifically states in the manual not to do this. I would also put the mirage well plug in when not using it just for an extra factor of safety. You can leave it out in the sun during trips but it's not meant to be left out for weeks at a time. I would recommend reducing the pressure when not using it then just give it a quick top off when you're ready to go.

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 06:24 PM   #11
captwoody
Junior

Thanks for those pointers, I plan on using in high heat areas so the let out air tip, and use the plug make sense.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:24 AM   #12
captwoody
Junior

Well picked up my I11S from Fastlane Thursday afternoon. Took I out for trial run Friday morning out of tidelands for couple of hours. Took about 10 minutes to set up. So I was pleased how fast it went. I transport it a little different to set up area. I have a neck/back injury so cant lift much so I take wheels and mirage drive in second trip so I don't have to lift all the weight out of jeep. When I first took off it was squirrely , but dropped rudder and fixed problem. there was a 10-15 mph wind at first but boat tracked well under power. Brought rod for bonefish which has spectra to cut eel grass so only got a few bites and caught one sbb before ending test ride. Normally fish 4lb Flouroclear which allow jigs to sink faster and gets way more bites than straight spectra but hey no skunk. Beached boat then had to move to deeper water to get wheels underneath. And hard wheels don't climb curbs very well, but that was about it for snags. Hayden showed me some tricks for putting in bag by folding it in which worked out well. Took 15 minutes to deflate, wipe down and put in bag. Both set up and take down times will decrease with practice for first time I was very pleased. The light weight will allow me to get back on the water and give me some sanity back. Overall great boat for people with physical limitations or storage issues
Attached Images
File Type: jpg i11.jpg (61.9 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg bass.jpg (48.0 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by captwoody; 04-21-2018 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:03 PM   #13
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Nice report Capt Woody. Was thinking about one for me. But will wait until I get my fake leg. Thank you for taking the time to wtire this up. You too Mahigeer. Tight Lines all.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 04:43 PM   #14
Mahigeer

Best wishes for the future trips.

As I was reading your post I realized that I posted "it took 2 hours for me to setup".

To be clear; this time included rigging up travel rods, figuring out how to tie everything down and packing my other gear to be put in storage.

Not just to inflate the kayak.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:26 PM   #15
captwoody
Junior

I assumed that's what you meant , also thought you hoofed it back to hotel with storage bag before launch.
Makobob you are an inspiration to me. I was starting to have a pity party for myself Cause I could not lift my kayak to the roof of my jeep since my neck injury. Had not fished since October because of injury. You so well pointed out these are just challenges to overcome. and I began to look at other ways. and I found the I11s. Thank you for all your positivity it is contagious- Woody
Old 04-22-2018, 02:16 PM   #16
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Captwoody, pity parties we do not need. I was really worried that I would NOT be able to climp up into my Dodge Ram 2500. It scarred my silly. Was even moore worried about getting out of said truck. I even had it up for trade.

It was all for naught. Yes I fell last Saturday getting into the truck at the Mission Bay Classic. STUPID as I tried getting in a different way and it was a disaster. SHAME on me. Picked myself up did it the right way.

Yep we just need to change the way we accomplish a task. We can usually figure it out. It is ALL just the way we look at the problem. Usually the is another way to get it done. Glad you were able to work it out and share.

Tight Lines amigo. Hope to sea YOU in paradise one day soon.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 04:52 PM   #17
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by captwoody View Post
I assumed that's what you meant, also thought you hoofed it back to hotel with storage bag before launch.
- Woody
I checked the carry bag with my backpack at the storage store on the Mole. Whatever fit in the lockers were put there.

I spent the night on the Green Pleasure pier, so I would not have to take down the kayak.

I fished early next day and in the afternoon did cleaning and packing on the Mole.

Then it was matter of relaxing until boarding time.