Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2010, 09:38 AM   #21
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805gregg View Post
Have you ever used that to hold you in place? It looks a little flimsy to me. I use a folding Grapnel anchor on my small boats, kayak and inflatable. A 1.5 lb is $12 at WM, takes up little space and weighs, you guessed it 1.5 lb. I could see the need of and good anchor in an emergency, in case of a big fish, injury or gear failure near large breaking waves, or other unseen occasion.
I know I already commented on this but I wanted to come back when I had time to actually say something.

First take a look at this picture.

Now those things in case you do not know it are not anchors. They are Irons, lures. Have you ever used one or hung one up and seen how they can hold you in place when fishing a kayak?

Those little hooks (even though they are not very big) when attached to something solid on the bottom are more then enough to keep a kayak from drifting in most conditions.

Now does that mean that you should attach ten feet of chain, and a hundred feet of 1/2 inch anchor rode to one of those jigs and deploy it to save your boat in the case of an emergency, injury, or gear failure near large breaking waves, or other unseen occasion? Of course not! That would just be stupid.

My little anchor just like those Irons is not a storm anchor, it's not for boats, it's not for boating emergencies, it's not heavy ground tackle that should be used with chain an rode, to protect you from drifting in a anchorage in high winds and breaking seas.

It's just just a fishing tool. Something that will grab the bottom quickly, and hold you in one place in normal fishing conditions.

Yes because it is flimsy by design it's something you can also easily pull it loose when it gets hung in the rocks, the tines will straighten under load and it will come free, and that is something your little 1.5 lb $12 at WM folding Grapnel anchor which is designed for boats can not do.

Have you ever used that 1.5 lb $12 at WM folding Grapnel anchor to hold your kayak in place? It'll grab and hold no doubt, but I quarentee you that if you use it from your kayak around rocks you will eventually hang it up, and then be unable to retrieve it from your kayak because you will not be able to put enough force on it from a kayak to pull it loose.

Then in the words of StinkyMatt: "Get a sharp knife....." ..because quite frankly you are not getting it back.

One more thing rather then depend on secure ground tackle to save you in the case of emergencies involving large breaking waves, or other unforeseen hurricane like difficulties, like you might have to do in a boat, my advice is simply to avoid such conditions by paddling in and getting off the water.

Kayaks are not yachts you don't anchor up and ride out the storms on anchor in a kayak.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:17 AM   #22
Jimmyz123

Very well said Jim. All I am mainly looking for is something that will maybe slow my drift down, Drift sock, I have one. I have also spoken to others who will sometimes throw out 2 in some conditions. When the current is moving one way and the wind is moving you a different way you have to use something to present the bait the right way.

I am not ashamed to say I will be using a drift sock, or maybe someday an anchor. I don't think I'll use an anchor in the Ocean, but in the Bay and lakes I may.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:04 PM   #23
maui jim

I have never seen a use in a kayak for an anchor, Tidal swings,fast currents and rough swell, good way to swamp yourself... my 2cents paddle or peddal away, Plus more crap to carry, clean, stow, and add to the yard sale items in the surf
Old 12-03-2010, 01:41 PM   #24
dorado50

don't know much about the ocean, but common sense tells me not to anchor a kayak to the pacific ocean floor! Any wind chop,ground swell,current,wind ........a 60# pc. of plastic secured to the ocean floor!!??!! good luck with that.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:52 PM   #25
Jimmyz123

Your common sense is correct. I don't see the point in anchoring in the ocean, like you I just don't have a good feeling about that. I can see the points behind everyones posts, that's why I have asked this very question.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:25 PM   #26
StinkyMatt

Sure, whatever works for you....if someone wants to anchor up, go ahead, just use some brains. Use whatever anchor you select, each of them has its pros and cons. No ONE answer applies all the time. If you pulled up to LJ with an anchor some may give you a weird look. However I fisheded places in which an anchor made the fishing more enjoyable and more productive. Sitting right below a nice little eddy on the Salt River and casting in the "magic" hole without having to worry about holding position...

Be smart, make sure you can cut yourself loose from an anchor in 2 seconds.

Tight lines. Matt
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 05:12 AM   #27
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
Sure, whatever works for you....if someone wants to anchor up, go ahead, just use some brains. Use whatever anchor you select, each of them has its pros and cons. No ONE answer applies all the time. If you pulled up to LJ with an anchor some may give you a weird look. However I fisheded places in which an anchor made the fishing more enjoyable and more productive. Sitting right below a nice little eddy on the Salt River and casting in the "magic" hole without having to worry about holding position...

Be smart, make sure you can cut yourself loose from an anchor in 2 seconds.

Tight lines. Matt
I have watched many Youtube videos on how people have made quick release tools for anchors. I agree with you 100% about keeping my brains with me.

I'm not a huge fan of anchoring period, but I do see where it can be a good thing if done right and done smart. When I saw your post about keeping a sharp knife with me, it answered a lot of questions.

Believe me my life is way more important than a stupid little anchor.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:24 PM   #28
cowboybill

Anchor opinion

I have used anchor in the bay, nice for working one area...To remove, I have ocasionally had to paddle updrift to pull out.

Also, side benefit, one night the wife and I were down watching the fireworks, and all these people around us were drifting around and had to concentrate on paddling in place...I just dropped anchor and we enjoyed the show!

I dont think I would use one in the ocean unless it was very calm.

My 2 cents
cowboybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:59 AM   #29
Jimmyz123

I just think in the Ocean there's way too much that can happen in a split second that could be very bad if you are anchored. It's that old Murphy's law thing.