Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2020, 01:49 PM   #1
UpNorth65
Junior

Inflatable for Baja?

Hello,
New to forum, and currently planning an escape from the North to Baja (Sea of Cortez) for a few weeks starting in Feb. I've fished up here in my Sea Eagle 435 PS in many conditions, am comfortable in it, and want to bring it down. It's very stable and tough for an inflatable, and I think I would stick largely to sheltered bays (Gonzaga for instance). With my swivel seat I sit pretty high and too much wind can of course be an issue.
I've caught some large, toothy fish (Muskie and Northern Pike) in it, but wondering if an inflatable is just asking for trouble.

I have a 2.5hp Suzuki I can use, but wonder if that would be more work
than it's worth having to flush motor, etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7ruepxmpKE
Not my video, but generally my set up.

It's the rig I've got, and I'm very comfortable on it, but any thoughts as I begin planning this trip would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
UpNorth65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:31 AM   #2
Mahigeer

First of all, I wish you a safe trip and great fishing. If you can take a motorizes vessel, you can fish much better and safer.

Now to the not so positive part.
Are you aware what it takes to fish Baja? The cost of car insurance, the cost of fishing license? Visa?
Where to stay? Gonzaga Bay has a great hotel. Not cheap, but convenient.

There are a lot more to discuss here. It all depends how much experience you have going to Baja.
For example; you can not take a filled spare gas can across the border. You can take an empty one, and you can fill it in Mexico. Same as firewood!

If you do not have Sentri card, the return line at the boarder will be long. Perhaps even longer with Covid issue.

Like I said before, I can go on and on, but I will stop now.

Last edited by Mahigeer; 10-30-2020 at 04:24 PM.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 03:15 PM   #3
jruiz
Large Member

I'd be concerned with not being able to get back to shore if the motor was to go out under the heavy wind they tend to get there. Hard to do with a pedal kayak, nearly impossible with a paddle. With an inflatable, might as well head for mainland Mexico

Last edited by jruiz; 10-30-2020 at 07:56 PM.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 04:23 PM   #4
Mahigeer

Winds can be strong there.

During one trip, I got to fish 3 hours out a week!!!

I did not want to leave by myself, so I stayed for the caravan.

Then caravan left without me at San Filipe.
Old 10-30-2020, 09:59 PM   #5
TCS

It’s a good idea to be careful, keep an eye on the weather and think things through like you’re doing. Then go for it. I’ve made about 20 surf or fishing road trips to Baja and have had a few mishaps, but the adventures and memories make it all worthwhile. I’ve never regretted going on a road trip but I’ve often regretted not going.

I’d take the motor and stay close to shore.
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 03:21 AM   #6
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post

Now to the not so positive part.
Are you aware what it takes to fish Baja? The cost of car insurance, the cost of fishing license? Visa?
Where to stay? Gonzaga Bay has a great hotel. Not cheap, but convenient.

There are a lot more to discuss here. It all depends how much experience you have going to Baja.
For example; you can not take a filled spare gas can across the border. You can take an empty one, and you can fill it in Mexico. Same as firewood!

If you do not have Sentri card, the return line at the boarder will be long. Perhaps even longer with Covid issue.

Like I said before, I can go on and on, but I will stop now.
Wow, sad how regulated it has become. In the late 80's, just fill out a tourist card and go. Never got hassled about spare gas, firewood, or anything else we brought with us.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 05:07 AM   #7
Mahigeer

Times are a changing. As the song says.

I personally rather travel/fish in US anymore.

For many reasons like language, money, security, insurance, etc., etc., etc.

I did my bit in Baja, and it was not what I had hoped for.

Cost me a lot of money to be prepared for those trips. But that was my choice.
Old 11-01-2020, 09:26 AM   #8
UpNorth65
Junior

Thanks for insightful replies. My experience is really just a stay down in Cabo Pulmo on a couple of occassions. Interesting thoughts on motor. My thoughts generally were to leave it at home, fish only in acceptable weather and stay close in. Thanks again.
UpNorth65 is offline   Reply With Quote