Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2015, 09:07 AM   #1
Kardinal_84
Alaskan Lurker

Snowy King- Alaska update

An update from Alaska!

As every one waits for spring, winter finally arrives in Alaska. More snow in the first half of April than Feb and Match combined.

With my current streak of landing a king off my kayak for 7 consecutive months, Ya know I gotta try for month number 8.

One hour into fishing I have my April King. Green label herring behind a fish flash flasher and 5oz of weight in 25 ft of water.

Once you keep a king, you have to go a mile offshore to fish halibut. Weather was getting worse so I called it a day. 7 hours of driving to fish one hour. Maybe I am nuts...

I've called Alaska home since 1971 and Ya gotta love the flexibility of the kayaks! No way I'm towing a big boat around in snow storms like we had.

http://youtu.be/TYHU0_83PKQ

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
Guidesak.blogspot.com
My personal pages...I'm not a guide.
Kardinal_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:44 AM   #2
h2ofishfo

Man that background shot is sick !
Old 04-13-2015, 10:54 AM   #3
walrus

love it, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!
Old 04-13-2015, 02:05 PM   #4
spyakker

That's awesome!
spyakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 02:23 PM   #5
Lipripper92592

Beautiful and stunning.......how do you like that release reel?
Nice combo your fishing with.
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 02:46 PM   #6
blitzburgh

Nice!
Old 04-13-2015, 03:17 PM   #7
EastLosYaker

Wow. Now that's what's up. Wish that was a 7hr drive for me! One day...
EastLosYaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 03:19 PM   #8
StinkyMatt

Salmon, the most exciting fish to land on a rod and reel! You never know if they will dog you deep or start jumping in an attempt to throw a hook.

Great video, the mountain shot is frame worthy.

StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:58 PM   #9
FISH11

Great video and awesome fish, but how do you do it without wearing some gloves. Hands got to be numb. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:11 PM   #10
captnblood34

Thats it I'm going to Alaska!
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:17 PM   #11
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

An amazing place, one day...
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:31 PM   #12
lbsurf2ca

Yellowtail of the north!
Old 04-13-2015, 06:53 PM   #13
Kardinal_84
Alaskan Lurker

Thanks all. Appreciate you letting an "outsider" post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipripper92592 View Post
Beautiful and stunning.......how do you like that release reel?
Nice combo your fishing with.
Love the release reel. I doubt I ill ever use the 30lbs of drag. I used to run Avet SX reels. Loved those too except they require way too much maintenance. I abuse my gear. The avets, if you don't rinse them every single time, they will bind up. No good for a guy that lives out of his car and doesn't unload it during the work week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
Great video and awesome fish, but how do you do it without wearing some gloves. Hands got to be numb. Thanks for sharing.
LOL. I get that a lot. As a kid in Jr high through college, I ran a salmon processing facility. One of my main jobs was the caviar production. My boss was old school, so he would make me agitate the barely above freezing water with my hands for 20 minutes per load, 20 to 30 times a day. I'm not sure if I got used to it or deadened my nerve endings, but I now have an amazing tolerance for cold in my hands. I only wear gloves when air temp is below 15deg or so. Even ice fishing. Even then, I prefer simply latex gloves. You should see the pile of left hand gloves I have. I always take the right glove off to do something and lose it.

Well for any of you coming up to Alaska, its so much easier when you actually know someone. Now you do!!! C'mon up! Let's fish!!!!
Old 04-13-2015, 07:24 PM   #14
momo fish

Looks like your on vacation.. Keep sharing as we are enjoying it all from down south..
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:18 PM   #15
CaliHalikiller

ROAD TRIP
CaliHalikiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:05 PM   #16
grey zone

You are not an "outsider".
grey zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:15 PM   #17
cell128
lizard king

That's a huge ass flasher! I'm gonna steal the stop sign around the corner and strap it on My line...maybe these yellows will bite.....nice fish!!
cell128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:47 PM   #18
Kardinal_84
Alaskan Lurker

Thanks grey zone. I appreciate that!

Cell128...Big flasher? You can see that its by a fraction of an inch, one of my smaller flashers in my lineup. It's my go to color of late. My other favorite is the top one. Traditional Les Davis (or is it Luhr Jensen?) 8" dodger. The large "Swarm" Flasher is typically run just off my down rigger ball. I can't say its upped my catch rate though I know charter captains that swear by them. Still in testing phase.

I will say that from years of watching fish react under the ice to my "dodger and jig" set up ( http://guidesak.blogspot.com/2014/01...e-fishing.html) I think that not only does it attract the fish, but once it gets near the jig, the fish thinks the dodger is a competing fish and will more aggressively attack the jig. I know a lot of folks that fish without one. But I do think its worth the extra drag. In this case, I believe more drag can be a good thing. More drag the flasher has I think it generally means the more water the flasher is moving. This translates into more vibrations being transmitted. So I don't shy away from heavy drag flashers...except that I am generally lazy. Argh...sorry about my flasher thesis...lol.

It probably doesn't even mater. But for me at least, its a huge part of the fun of fishing...the quest for the perfect set up. Crazy because if there is one thing my 4 decades of fishing has taught me, it is that there is likely no such thing. Haha.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:23 AM   #19
grey zone

Every trip to Soldotna I stop at all the local tackle stores and check out the dodger and hoochie selections. Last year I used a Fish Flash flasher for the first time on the Columbia River and the herring we used were beveled just behind their head which made them roll. The friend that took me fishing was very particular about the roll and if he did not like the action he changed the bait. Do you bevel the herring that you put behind the Fish Flash flasher and does the green label indicate the size of the herring.
grey zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:07 AM   #20
Kardinal_84
Alaskan Lurker

Snowy King- Alaska update

Green label does refer to size. We typically get red label smallest. Green blue purple and black and horse in increasing size.

I use whole herring. Cut plugs don't last long enuf for me since I'm too lazy to brine my bait.

Big discussion on spin roll or nothing for herring. All three have followers. Mine spins though I prefer a roll. But I've caught too many fish to switch. I close the mouth and insert hook point as close to the tip of snout from the side. Then re-insert hook point into the collar area. Trailer hook follows bait freely an inch to a foot behind. Closer if in fishing halibut. Longer if I'm strictly trolling.

If you cut plug baits. Try cutting the head off and attaching to a single hook like above. Herring head spinners outperform cut plugs for cohos at least. Great for mooching too.

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
Guidesak.blogspot.com
My personal pages...I'm not a guide.