Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2011, 03:52 AM   #1
MrPukaShell

Stealth or Fish N Dive?

Looking to get my first Kayak. Have narrowed it down to a Fish N Dive or the Stealth 14. Tipping the scales at 280. Would like to hear your opinions.
MrPukaShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 05:05 AM   #2
jorluivil

Buy a Hobie

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 05:47 AM   #3
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPukaShell View Post
Looking to get my first Kayak. Have narrowed it down to a Fish N Dive or the Stealth 14. Tipping the scales at 280. Would like to hear your opinions.
If your 6ft or taller go with the stealth. Since its a longer yak but since ur 280 u can Also throw in the x- factor kayak
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:47 PM   #4
ctrujillo

X2 ON THE X FACTOR
ctrujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 04:06 PM   #5
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

6'6" and 245 here and the X-Factor is pretty awesome. the stealth is pretty much the same thing just has different compartments and if you dont plumb the bait well its just as easy to add one to the rear of the X.
lowprofile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:35 PM   #6
RK

stealth built in bait tank low center of gravity tracks like shit and just as slow as a fish and dive
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:45 AM   #7
Aaron&Julie

We still like our Fish n' Dives, because of their payload rated at 600lbs. Don't know about the other 'yaks payloads, but we figure that some of our trips with our body weight, gear weight, and catch weight, I've been close to 350lbs on 2 occasions, and her total payload has been close to 300lbs on 3 occasions. So we're still sitting comfortably high on the water.
Another feature, we think is the stability, but you do sacrifice some speed. It does give you confidence to have the stability, if you're not experienced and somewhat leary about being on the wide big ocean.
And there's lots of hatch space below for storing rods, fish, and accessories, which may be necessary if the surf is decent size when you land.
That being said, we will probably get peddlers when we turn 60. They look like they cover a lot of ground without much effort. We do know people rave about them, and we've seen people zip by pretty quickly.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:29 PM   #8
Kailolo

FnD Fan

Had a FnD for 6 years. 240Lb, 6'2". Loaded with bait tank, 2 batteries, 4-5 rods, etc. Loved it for La Jolla kelp beds for YT. Super stable, plenty of storage and hatch space, for ex. if you want to store rods or large fish on beach entry. Easy to troll, even if windy--tracked perfectly even in wind. Loved having a wide deck in front of me. Easy to surf in on beach landings. Easy to mod out. Easy to reach items anywhere on the yak. FF could be readily mounted within reach, out of the way of landing a fish and away from splash.

Just bought a Revo. Light weight which an old man like me needs now. Love the speed, and all the reasons others have mentioned. But hate the lack of deck space. Have yet to take it to La Jolla. Launch I can handle, but I'm nervous about beach landing, particularly with a big fish on board. Dealing with pedals and rudder and a paddle while negotiating surf does not thrill me--but will try it soon. Also worried about beating up by accident or by inexperience the rudder or the very expensive peddles on beach landing. FF mounting not ideal, as it will be mounted on a gunnel (cannot easily reach the mast mount location while peddling, and I want to easily access sonar and mark GPS locations, so need a gunnel mount) where it can be splashed, and could interfere with landing fish, and wih entry after a spill. Peddling is fine, but to be honest, the knee position for me at 6'2" with long legs makes it hard (essentially impossible) to set anything in your lap without holding it while peddling. Otherwise your moving knees/thighs knock it about. In contrast on the FnD I could lay a rod on my lap and under one thigh to troll with it. Same with setting a coffee cup or drink between your thighs--easy on the FnD, for me nearly impossible on the Revo. (Revo's drink holder is used as a lure/scent holder!)

Pluses and minuses.
Kailolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:41 AM   #9
maui jim

Cobras RULE.... I agree with Arron and Julie...Payload ..
Old 06-01-2011, 12:00 PM   #10
richard67b

I LOVE MY F N D 300 ME AND WITH A PACIFIC ANGLER SEAT AND ERGO TOUR T4 CARBON PADDLE ALL IS GOOD
richard67b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:12 PM   #11
yani

Hey that's me: 280lbs. I'm 6'4" and I've caught
lots of fish from my FnD. It's short, only 12.5ft,
but that's a good thing in the surf and for transport.
Plus I'm usually the fastest kayak on the water...
Let's see who says otherwise.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:55 AM   #12
wiseguy

FND or XFactor! I'd definitely stay away from the stealth, sweet looking kayak, dont get me wrong, but takes on too much water through those side little hatches. I'm talking from experience here, sold mine 2 months after fully rigging it up!

I would definitely go with the XFactor! 600lb rating!
wiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote