Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2016, 03:09 PM   #1
The pelican

East Cape Advice

A buddy and I are looking to take a trip to the east cape of Baja. We might go to Rancho Leonero which looks comfortable, inexpensive, meals included, and they have pro anglers which we fish here in Sd. We'd like to go in June, July, or August and spend 4-5 days. Goals are catching a rooster on the beach and yak fishing for billfish, tuna, and dorado. Anyone been down there to yak fish? If so, what do we need to know and what was your experience? Did you use one of the guide services like Jim Sammons outfit? Any intel is appreciated.
The pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 03:46 PM   #2
Zed
BANNED

Just go. Itll be hot by August. You can find pelagic fish off the dropoff beyond the moorings sometimes closer. I brought my seat w me. Keep the black skipjack/bonito for stripbait and troll for dodos. Livebait isnt really necessary but you might be able to get some either made or bought from a bait panguero.

You shouldnt have to paddle far but dont get hung out when the wind blows. Its less technical than a lj day. Just go fish. Same jigs and more chrome. Dont get needlefished. Theyre huge and airborne.

Theres TRs on here from leonero and colorada.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:44 PM   #3
Dannowar

Like zed said. Strip bait. Drop it over rocky reefs and buckle your drag as tight as it wil go. Then some more. As soon as you get hit pump and horse in your big nasty cabrilla. Give him nothing or you'll lose it.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:57 PM   #4
TCS

I've been to rancho leonero. It's really nice. Used the PAs one day. Rudder handle wasn't tight enough and came off my son's kayak so that was a pain. Check them over carefully before you launch. We actually had more fun skiff fishing.
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:47 AM   #5
ROSSOLY

I just booked a room at Rancho for this Oct, my first visit. There is a surf fishing thread for the East Cape on B D, Baja section (sorry, not plugging that site just providing info).
ROSSOLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 01:58 PM   #6
cabojohn
PROBATION

Bring Squid with you.
Fill a plastic bottle with squirts and freeze it solid. Its worth the price of admission.

Also, a foldable cooler is priceless. Stop at the first agency and get yourself some cerveza and ice. The trip from the airport to the east cape is about a 3-4 beer ride.
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 06:23 PM   #7
The pelican

Good advice Cabo John. Dannowar, A mean Cabrilla sounds fun but I am really looking to land one of the other guys. I'm surprised I haven't heard more chatter on the site about one of the places like Colorado or Leonero. Has anyone on the site gone down there and killed a big tuna, dodo, or landed a billfish or big Rooster??? Just trying to understand the best month to get a good shot at one. The website for Rancho Leonero has a chart for optimal seasons for the various species but I'm wondering if/how El Nino changes that. If I'm planning a trip, I want the best possible shot.

Also considering going back to do some more offshore fishing with this guy in Florida - http://www.tckayakfishing.com/. We went out last year for Sailfish and blanked on them but we did get into a bunch of blackfin tuna on knife jigs and had a blast. We barely peddled the hobies the whole day. Just beach launch and drift 20 miles, land, and he takes a taxi back to his truck.
The pelican is offline   Reply With Quote