Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2016, 02:24 PM   #1
TheBoyScout

Okay noob question here...yellowtail...

So this summer I got a hobie mirage and have rigged it out to fish. I usually go out on PBs and am pretty new to kayak fishing for yellowtail. Ive caught these beautiful fish on boats but kayaking seems to be a different story....

I am wondering how I can catch a yellowtail without a fish finder?

I have a live bait tank and everything else you would need to catch a fish but how do you find them? lol, I just dont know if I have enough room for a fish finder on my yak and am on a budget. Anyone have any tips or tricks on how to find the yellowtail right now? During the summer I would just slow troll around hoping for a hit. Any help is appreciated! Thanks
TheBoyScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:37 PM   #2
bolocop

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoyScout View Post
So this summer I got a hobie mirage and have rigged it out to fish. I usually go out on PBs and am pretty new to kayak fishing for yellowtail. Ive caught these beautiful fish on boats but kayaking seems to be a different story....

I have a live bait tank and everything else you would need to catch a fish but how do you find them? lol, I just dont know if I have enough room for a fish finder on my yak and am on a budget. Anyone have any tips or tricks on how to find the yellowtail right now? During the summer I would just slow troll around hoping for a hit. Any help is appreciated! Thanks
You can have my Lowrance X-4 Pro for $40 if you want it. It's just sitting in my garage. A FF is pretty useful for finding bait and depth. I don't think I've ever caught a fish that was on my screen. I'm not that talented though... Also helps for avoiding or finding the kelp or kelp line.
bolocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:43 PM   #3
ful-rac
Emperor

Good question!

For yellowtail....I suggest you scan BWE pick out the best fisherman and secretly follow them around....try not to get too close, you might give yourself away. When somebody looks like their hooked up...that's your time to move in and Poach the spot!!!

As far as bait goes, find greg...there is a continuous bait school swimming underneath his kayak at all times. How close do you get? Make sure you can at least read his fishfinder....

Keep trying you'll get one...
Old 02-09-2016, 03:26 PM   #4
kayakfisherman

Don't mind Tony!! He lives for set-up questions like yours...

Briefly, here's the low down. FF are a definite plus, and personally I won't
fish without one. Why? Because it's another tool to help you put together
the total picture of what's happening that day.

So now, the next question is, what other tools are required?
Experience, to know what to do when certain conditions present themselves.
Knowledge, to know where and how to fish for the season.
Circle of friends, to have your finger on the pulse.

Save money and get a good FF, then be prepared to go thru a learning curve.

Tip: The longer you just troll around waiting to get an occasional bite, the longer you're putting off learning to be a successful kayak fisherman.
kayakfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:31 PM   #5
ful-rac
Emperor

Psssst...follow kayakfisherman around (aka Yani)(aka Yanni).

Hell of a nice guy! Really!
Old 02-09-2016, 03:48 PM   #6
tacmik

For a busy bee sandwich. Ful-rac will not only guide you around but will also paddle your yak for you.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:58 PM   #7
Cbad Mike

I agree with both Tony and Yanni...
Whatever method works for you.
A ff is really going to help you find bait but you can always cozy up to someone who's catching macks. I've never seen anyone get pissed and I don't see the harm in asking someone to tell you if there is bait around. When you start making bait keep more than you will use (explained later)
The friendliness seems to dwindle a little bit when your actually going for the game fish tho.
Don't get to close but stay near where you think some guys are marking fish. Most guys won't mind especially if you introduce yourself. Ask if their on BWE. Make conversation. Ask if they need a few macks and give them a couple (refer to catching bait).
After owning a ff I'd personally never fish without one.
Once your dialed in you can see the fish.... Sometimes. It is not a guarantee that they will bite tho.
Don't skimp on a unit. Do your homework and buy a quality model.
Good luck.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:42 PM   #8
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoyScout View Post

So, if I'm correct you have been kayak fishing for less than a year and you're concerned because you haven't caught a fish...............ooooh boy, you are in for a rude awakening.

Anyway, if you want a proven way to catch fish, any fish, here's how to do it................................................ .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..................................................TIME ON THE WATER, THAT'S ALL YOU NEED

I guarantee that NO ONE will deny this method

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer

Last edited by jorluivil; 02-09-2016 at 04:44 PM. Reason: because sumtimes i kant spel
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:49 PM   #9
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

If you don't have a fish finder, fish without one. A FF is just another tool. It's not what makes you a fisherman. There is tons of information and ideas on Internet to help you catch fish.

When the sun comes up, there are already many boats out there in a cluster. that's a good place to start. If you leave while it's still dark, just head for the lights. In this beautiful weather, it's as clear as a bell.

Lately, bait is very plentiful. Drag a sabiki behind you at sunrise and you'll get hammered with mackerels. I finally cut off my old broken sabiki today because it was down to two dull hooks. My next drop with a fresh sabiki brought up 6 mackerels. If you see lots of birds on the water, try there.

You can get nautical charts and fishing maps from a tackle shop or by surfing around online. Plot your course or target zones from there. Dana Landing has laminated maps that are outstanding. Learn dead reckoning. It's a very useful skill to have. I used to do it in my airplane all the time for fun, as a challenge, and to improve my situational awareness. When you drive a car, it's better to look out the window than to stare at the instruments all the time, right?

Navionics has a free chart-plotting app for your smartphone. Figure out your target zones at home, then set up way points on a Navionics route planner. You can get a waterproof phone bag for about $8. Marine West has them. The Hobie Center has them. Probably OEX too, but I haven't looked there.

Before I had a fish finder, when I wanted to know the depth I dropped a mason's line with a heavy weight and a knot tied every 5'. It worked just fine. That helped confirm my position relative to my charts. If you want to be more cool, tie the knots in fathoms and drink absinthe mixed with champagne (it's called "Death In The Afternoon").

You can avoid the kelp and know your distance from the kelp by following depth contours.

I caught this yellowtail yesterday. He was exactly where I was fishing without a fish finder.
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=28218

Today I got raked by a halibut but he didn't stick, damit. He ate everything south of my trap hook and sent the rest back as a mackerel zombie. Halibut don't show up on a FF anyway.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 02-09-2016 at 05:32 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:16 PM   #10
TheBoyScout

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
So, if I'm correct you have been kayak fishing for less than a year and you're concerned because you haven't caught a fish...............ooooh boy, you are in for a rude awakening.

Anyway, if you want a proven way to catch fish, any fish, here's how to do it................................................ .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..............................TIME ON THE WATER, THAT'S ALL YOU NEED

I guarantee that NO ONE will deny this method
Hey sorry I wasnt clear, I upgraded my kayak from a malibu stealth to a hobie. Ive been kayak fishing for about 2.5 years now but just started targeting bigger fish this last year. Thanks for the tip!
Old 02-09-2016, 05:21 PM   #11
TheBoyScout

Awesome!

Wow thanks you guys! This is really helpful and I am going to invest in a fish finder since it seems to be an invaluable tool. I need to just get out there more often put in the time. . I'm fairly young (22) so thanks for all of your patience and help with the young pup . I'm tall mexican and usually shirtless out there and have a white hobie outback so hopefully i can see you guys out there! I think I'm heading out this Sunday!
Old 02-10-2016, 06:59 AM   #12
jorluivil

Awwwww come-on Mr Niceguy, he wants to know how to catch yellowtail off a kayak and not how to sail across the Pacific Ocean on the Santa Maria

Old 02-10-2016, 07:18 AM   #13
Chuck D

I fished for my first 3 years with no fish finder on a Malibu Extreme, caught plenty of YT. As for bait just troll around a sabiki in about 15-20 ft of water, get some macks and you are good to go. In the warmer months troll a mack on the surface and in the colder months drop one down to the bottom, simple as that. You'll hook up as long as you put the work in... Good luck.
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:24 AM   #14
maquinapescado

If you have a helmet and bullet proof vest, head to La Jolla and fish around the obvious clutter of boats and kayaks.

I'd say the topic was pretty well covered. In my opinion, I think if you were to target yellowtail anywhere except La Jolla, I think it would be really difficult without out a fish finder, especially in winter.

Typically, yellowtail like to hangout around that 90'-150' of water area. It is nice to know where you are and where your bait is in the water column.

My first trip to La Jolla, I met Summers in Kuwait (Todd) and he found good success without a fish finder. He would use a GPS app on his phone with coordinates he would put in. You can acquire coordinates from previous catches, where other people are hooked up and from friends.

Maybe that would be a cheap start for you????? I'm not sure what app he uses.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:56 AM   #15
jorluivil

One a serious note:

Just buy yourself a fish finder, we all have them for a reason. If you can't afford or fit an HDS7 on your deck get something smaller like the Elite 4. I started off with an Eagle Cuda 150 and now have the HDS 7 touch, its my 4th unit in 7 years. 99.99% of the kayakers and boaters have them for a reason and the 'cool factor' is not the reason. Will dropping a mason's line with a heavy weight and a knot tied every 5' help you determine what depth you're in? Of course it will will but do you really want to do that?

If this thread was about whether or not you should buy a car with gauges that are not working everyone would tell you not to do it, right? How are you going to know if you're low on gas or if you're doing 35mph in a 25mph zone or if you're oil level is low?

Guys on this site are always upgrading, save up some dough and when the right unit comes along buy it. I'm sure you'll survive for now but I would strongly suggest you get one. Take the advise that Chuckie gave you, high in the summer and low in the winter.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:32 AM   #16
acorad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy View Post
You can avoid the kelp and know your distance from the kelp by following depth contours.
Mr. NG, can you explain this one? Is there a limit on how deep kelp will grow? Is there a benefit to knowing your distance from the kelp (and do you mean distance to the side of the kelp or vertical distance above the tops of the kelp?

Andy (YT noob as well)
acorad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:03 AM   #17
The pelican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck D View Post
I fished for my first 3 years with no fish finder on a Malibu Extreme, caught plenty of YT. As for bait just troll around a sabiki in about 15-20 ft of water, get some macks and you are good to go. In the warmer months troll a mack on the surface and in the colder months drop one down to the bottom, simple as that. You'll hook up as long as you put the work in... Good luck.
What he said. Fish finder is great for making bait and depth. In warm months, you won't typically use one to mark YT. In cooler months, it helps mark fish though.
The pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:24 AM   #18
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by acorad View Post
Mr. NG, can you explain this one? Is there a limit on how deep kelp will grow? Is there a benefit to knowing your distance from the kelp (and do you mean distance to the side of the kelp or vertical distance above the tops of the kelp?

Andy (YT noob as well)
Sure. The benefit to fishing close to the kelp is because that's often where fishing is better, but I don't want to be so close that I get tangled. Depending on tide, current and time of year, sometimes we can see the kelp line, sometimes not because it's under water. By using a map like this, I would be referring to the horizontal distance away from the boundary of the kelp jungle.

When I'm exploring unfamiliar territory I lay out my way points and target zones at home on my computer and with my Navionics iphone app.

I do this by studying various maps, google earth, and other information I find surfing around. I compile lots of notes and ideas to explore on various topics in my MSWord fishing files.

For example, look at the 80-100' depth contours on this map and how close they are to what parts of the kelp bed. Also look at the sandy areas from The Half down to the NW Corner compared to the rocky areas further to the north.

During the summer I was having better luck free-lining on the surface along the 30 fathom line. During this winter, I'm fishing in closer to the kelp along the bottom.

The free Navionics app makes following a pre-planned route exceedingly easy.

This is a cropped section of fishing map called "La Jolla to Point Loma" by Baja Directions, Inc www.bajadirections.com

You can also look through various detailed maps of other local areas at Dana Landing. They have the entire set. These maps contain a wealth of information for around $15 each.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 02-11-2016 at 06:59 AM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:36 AM   #19
acorad

Thanks Mr NG, fantastic stuff! Will order maps for my 'hood, Santa Monica Bay and Channel Islands!

Andy
acorad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 12:03 PM   #20
TheBoyScout

Good news guys! I got a fish finder lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk