Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2014, 06:23 PM   #1
Mike scales

Lake Barrett trailer question.

Is it cool to trailer in two Hobie PA's? One is on top the other, small trailer.
Also, easier to launch at docs instead of pigs point? What's the launching situation?
Fished there several times on their tin boats but never out of my kayaks.
Thanks in advance.
Mike scales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:45 PM   #2
newportdogs

I was there two weeks ago. We have always launched from the Point. Because of the lake level they’ve carved the road further down to the launch area. There’s probably only room for 6 vehicles down there. I seriously doubt you could manage a trailer there. You could probably park up on the upper level where we used to park and carry the kayaks down.

However, I’m not sure you could make the turn off the main road onto the Pigs Point road. With a Suburban or truck and 16 ft kayaks on top I have to turn and back up once or twice to make the turn. I doubt a trailer would make it. Pretty interesting at 4:30 in the morning.

Might be safer to go the dock area and find a spot there. Worst case if you find nothing there turn around and go back to Pigs Point, there is no turn required coming from that direction. You only have to hope you don’t meet a car in the dark coming your way. There is no room to pass from the dock to Pigs Point, a couple of hundred yards. But I guess you know that having been there.

Google map it and drill down, it’s current. I think looking at the map you’ll know what you can handle.

Fishing was pretty slow but hitting the Alpine Brewery in Alpine for food and great beer always makes the trip worth it.

Good luck with the trip.

newportdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:51 AM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

With a trailer I would not try at Pig's Point, was crowded there when we went. Lots of tubers and kayaks! Go to the boat launch.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:19 PM   #4
Mike scales

Soo VERY thankful for the advice fellas! I ended up using L. Barrett tin boat special after reading your thoughts on the idea. The road to pigs would've definitely been a sketchy situation. Going to have to come up with a new plan to transport PA's to L. Barrett next time. Maybe stacked in the back of my truck, no trailer.

Quick Barrett report- water still very low. Bite in the early morning, slowed down around 11:30, bailed at about 2:30.
(Early departure due to fishing with the wifey. It was her first Barret adventure)
About 25 fish total. All mine on the fly rod.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:30 PM   #5
Mike scales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike scales View Post
Soo VERY thankful for the advice fellas! I ended up using L. Barrett tin boat special after reading your thoughts on the idea. The road to pigs would've definitely been a sketchy situation. Going to have to come up with a new plan to transport PA's to L. Barrett next time. Maybe stacked in the back of my truck, no trailer.

Quick Barrett report- water still very low. Bite in the early morning, slowed down around 11:30, bailed at about 2:30.
(Early departure due to fishing with the wifey. It was her first Barret adventure)
About 25 fish total. All mine on the fly rod.

Disclamer-catching bass on fly rod is not cooler or better, I just like it.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:34 PM   #6
YakDout
Brandon

Yellowtail would be cooler on the flyrod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:44 PM   #7
Mike scales

Haha! Already making plans to do so.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:17 PM   #8
tacmik

What would happen if you trailered them in as far as practicable then just threw them in the back of the truck for rest of the way. Just trying to think. (not easy at my age)
Old 06-18-2014, 05:02 PM   #9
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Pigs Point is pretty steep grade at the top and I could barely turn my Truck around at the top just to back down. Backing down was pretty exciting as there is a pretty steep hillside to the left as you're backing down. Backing a trailer down would be an adrenalin rush at 0430!! It's was an interesting back-down without a trailer at Mid-day! ...........

FILE0018.jpg

Good luck if you attempt it!! Post pictures!!
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote