Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 01-25-2016, 04:07 PM   #1
Mike scales

Anyone fishing La Jolla tomorrow?

Weather looks nice, waves look small.
Who's in?

Last edited by Mike scales; 01-25-2016 at 04:41 PM.
Mike scales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 04:44 PM   #2
YakDout
Brandon

Must be nice, I am in the weekend warrior club though.

Confucius say:

Man who fish during week, catch 90% of fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 04:55 PM   #3
momo fish

Good luck Mike !! Keep to the bottom with that fly of yours 😊

momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 05:03 PM   #4
Geno Machino
"Relax"

Can't tomorrow...Wednesday and Thursday looking good though.

Good Luck!!!

Geno
Old 01-25-2016, 06:02 PM   #5
Mike scales

Thanks Geno! Momo, I will definitely work the bottom! Sounds like a few will be out there tomorrow. I was talking with Yakdout last Sunday in La Jolla and joking with him about how the scene looked like a tarpon tournament in La Jolla that day. In my mind, I'm thinking, pretty certain these yellows and White Sea bass are annoyed with all this boat noise and it probably makes them have lock jaw. So my theory is less noise, more bites. Looking back at the times I have been successful, it was predominantly during the week. So, we'll see tomorrow if mid week brings the sweet smell of victory or the good ol skunko. Fingers crossed! Cheers!

Last edited by Mike scales; 01-25-2016 at 06:08 PM.
Mike scales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:58 PM   #6
Delbrugge4
Junior

Let us know how the bite is!

Delbrugge4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:44 PM   #7
FISH11

See you tomorrow Mike. The reports show great weather and small surf. First nice window in a while and it works out, because I am going to scatter my Dad's ashes out the tomorrow. He passed on the 7th and was cremated and planned on beings scattered at sea like my Mom was, so I thought I can help out in that way and maybe he will in turn give me some extra fish JuJu. When I was young he used to take me fishing all along the coast in La Jolla, so I though it would be real fitting to scatter him with the view of all the areas we used to fish.

Last edited by FISH11; 01-25-2016 at 08:35 PM.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:28 PM   #8
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
See you tomorrow Mike. The reports show great weather and small surf. First nice window in a while and it works out, because I am going to scatter my Dad's ashes out the tomorrow. He passes on the 7th and was cremated and planned on beings scattered like my Mom was, so I thought I can help out in that way and maybe he will in turn give me some extra fish JuJu. When I was young he used to take me fishing all along the coast in La Jolla, so I though it would be real fitting to scatter him with the view of all the areas we used to fish.
You're a good son. When I go I just want to be ground up and used for chum, give back to all those fish I ate.
Harry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 03:16 AM   #9
Mike scales

Quote:
See you tomorrow Mike. The reports show great weather and small surf. First nice window in a while and it works out, because I am going to scatter my Dad's ashes out the tomorrow. He passed on the 7th and was cremated and planned on beings scattered at sea like my Mom was, so I thought I can help out in that way and maybe he will in turn give me some extra fish JuJu. When I was young he used to take me fishing all along the coast in La Jolla, so I though it would be real fitting to scatter him with the view of all the areas we used to fish.
Mark, my deepest condolences my friend. I couldn't think of a better place than LJ. Sounds like you had some wonderful memories with your father. Looking forward to seeing you out there, been a while. May we all have tight lines with the right kind tomorrow and honor your father with a great day of fishing!
Old 01-26-2016, 07:39 AM   #10
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Please accept my condolences on your dad's passing.

Just a thought, if you have not scattered all his ashes. What I want done with my ashes when I eventually pass is to drill out an iron, have a pinch of my ashes put in and then fill it back in. That way I will still be fishing after I am gone. Could also just mix a little in with some paint and paint the jig.

Just a thought. That way you and your dad will still be fishing together.

I have a small amount of my dad's ashes in what was his old freshwater tacklebox. Whenever I use it he is there with me.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 12:08 PM   #11
Mike scales

Update- Zero fish out there. Conditions were nice, plenty of bait, but no action.
Slight parking lot out there, never saw anyone hook up. Back on land by 11:30.
Maybe PM bite? Oh well. Next time.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:35 PM   #12
surfisher

Check the 150-180 mark. We found a few nice schools swimming around on friday and sunday out that way.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:35 PM   #13
Mike scales

Will do, thanks!
Old 01-26-2016, 03:12 PM   #14
Murray

Nice meeting you Mike. Same here......no fishies. Beautiful day on the water with lots of whales. Macs went crazy around noon but nothing on the iron. Probably sea lions had them breezing.
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:21 PM   #15
FISH11

Looks like we all had the same kind of luck. It was nice to see so many greenbacks. Hadn't made that many or that quality in a long time. Too bad nothing wanted then except those Frickin sea lions. The frozen squid was about the same had bites from small rock fish but only landed a very large greenback mack on the bottom with the squid. All in all it was a beautiful day weather wise and was able to unload and load on the street just past the torn up street and use the side walk next to the Beach and Tennis Club to get it to the sand. Got to scatter Dad's ashes just outside the kelp and had a visit from several whales that came close. Stayed out till 3pm. Beats any day at work. Sorry I didn't see you out on the water Mike. It was nice to meet some other guys (Murray, CTF Chris, and Chris138) Hope to see a lot of you guys out there often. Tight Lines, Mark. Thank you all for your thoughts.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:53 AM   #16
Mike scales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray View Post
Nice meeting you Mike. Same here......no fishies. Beautiful day on the water with lots of whales. Macs went crazy around noon but nothing on the iron. Probably sea lions had them breezing.
Nice meeting you too, Murray! Mark, I too caught a few crazy large macs off the bottom with squid, and that's it! See you guys out on the water soon! Cheers!
Old 01-28-2016, 07:29 AM   #17
TJones

Super Slowwwww

I saw only two fish caught. One of them weighed out to be just shy of 30 lb. with the game clip hanging out of his mouth and bled. . I'm on the board with my first trip of the season under my belt. I got off the water a little early so I could shoot by Fastlane for some parts. Live bait on the bottom. Tight lines.

Last edited by TJones; 01-28-2016 at 01:02 PM.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:01 AM   #18
Mike scales

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
I saw only two fish caught. One of them weighed out to be just shy of 30 lb. with the game clip hanging out of his mouth and bled. . I'm on the board with my first trip of the season under my belt. I got off the water a little early so I could shoot by Fastlane for some parts. Live bait on the bottom. Tight lines.
That's awesome! I hope to get one soon!