Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2010, 07:59 PM   #1
skiffman

San Diego Bay MLPA

Another beauty here. Close San Diego Bay to protect the Seahorse.
http://www.capwiz.com/mbayaq/issues/...242886&type=SW >>
Old 04-08-2010, 08:49 PM   #2
Dan

yes, seahorse fishing pressure is the biggest challenge the Bay is facing.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:00 PM   #3
stairman

Angry se horsy

if the sea horse has survived all the stuff going on in San Diego bay since WWII then I would have to say the evidence is in and they will survive with out this protection....radical environmentalists will NEVER be satisfied!!!!!
stairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:40 PM   #4
blitzburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by stairman View Post
if the sea horse has survived all the stuff going on in San Diego bay since WWII then I would have to say the evidence is in and they will survive with out this protection
That's for sure! There has been some fookin' gnarly stuff in that bay!
blitzburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:56 AM   #5
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Here's an idea. Let's start a MLPA movement to protect a species that lots of people really care about... the recreational fisherman. It is clear to me that without some sort of protection, this species is doomed.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:24 AM   #6
rastrev

I'm sure fishing has such a huge impact on Sea horses. Maybe they should focus on the real problem, like, I don't know, maybe POLLUTION...
Old 04-09-2010, 08:01 AM   #7
old_rookie

I hate it when I'm trying to make bait in the bay and keep pulling up those seahorses. One time I thought I was hooked on some weeds, ended up with a seahorse on the hook - what a pain.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:22 AM   #8
Ed
Fringe Head

They should promote fishing and encourage harvest in the bay to reduce fish predation on juvenile seahorses and pipefish. Save the seahorse.....
Old 04-09-2010, 09:36 AM   #9
Aquahunter
Crazy Deaf Cuban Redneck

It makes me sick to my stomach seeing these people closing off areas piece by piece that we work hard to put food on the table for our families. I have been supporting with the Spearboard and Bloodydecks against the closures of the MLPA. Sure we can protect the seahorses but fishing for them? We don't fish seahorses or use them for bait.
Aquahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:04 AM   #10
GregAndrew

It just goes to show exactly the tactics of the other side on the MLPA issue. They completely fabricate dire circumstances, that need immediate attention, to get the average Joe fired up enough to at least send a petition. I can't tell you how many times I talked to somebody, on the other side, at a MLPA meeting that argued points that don't still or never took place on our coast.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:44 PM   #11
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

So I'm guessing the new McDonalds Seahorse Sandwich is not going to happen?

Seriously, SD Bay is so polluted, it's testimony to the power of nature that anything can survive. I would never eat anything that came out of the bay and I would sure hate to see what the bottom looks like. If it wasn't for the daily tidal flushing, there probably wouldn't be anything alive in there. To overlook years of massive pollution and blame any kind of fishing for the decline of marine life is a joke.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:41 PM   #12
Billy V

This was a Horse worth protecting.
- Secretariat -

Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:03 AM   #13
stairman

party of the environmentalists

November is coming up and what I have to say may piss some of you off....fine, your party then has been pissing me off for years.Keep in mind this is strictly about the radical environmentalists and what they are doing to America and particularly California.
While I am a hunter and fisherman and want to preserve the environment in its most beautiful and natural state,I also like to work to be able support myself and my family(not any more though...she wouldn't let me fish much and he supports himself now !!!!).
If you stop reading for a minute and look around the room do you see anything that was not grown or mined to get the raw materials for that product? Give it 2 seconds or search all day....you won't find anything(ok maybe some bugs but depending on your cleanliness you just might be farming them unintentionally.)There the environmentalist fails to realize his impact on the planet just buy living eating and breathing.He wants his stuff,computor ,car,books,home in laguna with an above average impact on farming or mining,and foods from all over the world to show how "diverse" they are.When it comes to your impact,in this case fishing ,suddenly or through guilt of their own consumption they find the eyes to see the destruction.
Which brings me to my point.The California economy and our budget are a mess.There is a party that has controlled the origin of all laws and budgets and whether they become final that has been solely in control of both the senate and assembly in this state for as long as I can remember.They continue to push every next environmental law ,rule ,and regulation no matter the cost.
The cost to the economy,the cost to the consumer ,and the cost to the participants in sports such as ours has been ignored.Humans have been eating,or collecting sseafood since there has been hunger. In good economic times everyone is for saving the lands and sea we have in a pristine state.The problem comes when ,after having stopped the slide of the environment with sensible rules virtually no one will disagree with, the clean up the majority of the polution and wasting of the environment ,they use the exact same standard to clean up the remaing pollution.Anyone that has tried to vacuum up every last grain of sand from your vehicule after a trip to la jolla knows that as the clean up progresses you spend more and more time for fewer and fewer grains of sand going up the tube.Some have a lower standard(me i like sand in the car...makes it feel like everyday is a day at the beach) to some that try to spend the time to get every grain of sand.

The cause of radical environmentalism is like the guy who would continue well past the point where the rest of us considered the car to be clean.
This is where i'm gonna piss some of you off....the democrats and their support of these radical environmentalist standard of preservation and cleanliness have our sacred LJ in their sights and if you vote for them in november for what ever reason you can come up with(i reaalllly don't want to hear why you love them or hate the other...its totally up to you)
you are shooting yourself in the foot with a 50 cal leaving your future as a fisherman with a bloddy stump where your foot used to be.

This radical environmentalist support is also driving businesses out of the state,causing huge budget problems,and running up the cost fo everything you buy in the state.We shipped our manufacturing to countries that have few if any environmental laws so the damage is not in sight of our pristine shores yet the damage to the planet as well as our economy is still there.
The democrats that regulate businesses til they pick up and leave see our cleaning air water and lands and boastfully say its working.I tried that as a kid when my dad told me to clean my room.Everything that could be stuffed in a drawer,under the bed.or under the rug was.Sure the room looked cleaner from the door but the mess was still there ,just out of sight.
We as a state,under the current power structure that includes democrats in controll of the assembly,senate,and a rino(especially in respect to our sacred kayaking waters) in the govenors office,can not afford all we want nor do we deserve the loss of freedom that comes as a price with every new environmental laws.No I don't support dirty air or water but at the present state of the economy the car is cleaned of enough of the sand.
stairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:39 AM   #14
Ohana

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastrev View Post
I'm sure fishing has such a huge impact on Sea horses. Maybe they should focus on the real problem, like, I don't know, maybe POLLUTION...
This, combined with over-development, is doing more damage then any recreational fishing. Most animals that have large numbers of offspring,such as fish, insects, and reptiles, cannot be detrimentally impacted by over collecting. As long as there is the right habitat for them to live in, then they can continue to survive and even increase in numbers. It is when this habitat is gone, such as paving over a field, filling in a stream, or draining a marsh, that the animals will quickly be eliminated.

Unfortunately, it is a lot easier to gain support for closing off an area that no one is going to build on versus trying to get people to stop polluting or to establish areas along the coast and inland to no new development.
Ohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:47 AM   #15
cioppino

Seahorses in San Diego Bay, thats a good one! We should set up a table down at the bay selling protect the Seahorse shirts to the tourists. Have a little saltwater aquarium with a few little cute ones in it. Shoot the T-shirt table at the Childrens, oh I mean SEALS pool, nets them about four hundred K a year!

MLPAs, illegal immigration, overcrowding, overpriced real estate, overpriced food, overpriced gasoline, undrefunded and worst schools in the nation, over taxed citizens(soon to be even worse), overpolluted waters, overpolluted air........etc...etc....etc...

All this crap for a few wsb, yt, halibut, and some sunshine. OVER it!
cioppino is offline   Reply With Quote