Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 05-27-2014, 10:52 PM   #1
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

heartbreaker Lj 5/27

Got a late launch at 1:30 for the afternoon bite. Spanish macs galore but I did find a school of greenies to fill the bait tank. Worked the kelp line out to the south west corner then moved out to deeper water and started my drift in 120'. Had one mac flyline straight mono and was getting ready to tie a butterfly jig in my new jigging setup when my bait rod goes off. Peeled half the spool off my avet sx before I got it in gear and started working him. Im thrilled at this point. I get straight up and down on top of him that's when I see Eric and give him a little war whoop announcing that I'm on the right kind. He then yells back that I need to get that fish in, there's a dog headed right for me. I've got my fish maybe 25 feet under me and closing then, WHAM! That knothead slams my fish and runs with it. The next half hour or so is spent keeping pressure on the fish hoping that dog let's go Long enough to reclaim my prize. Every time the dog surfaced I could see what looked to be about a 25# class fork tail gripped firmly in his jaws. At this time my reel clamp on the avet is coming loose and I'm having to hold it in place to keep it straight on the rod. After about 10 more minutes of tug o war were he actually let go of my fish several times only to snatch it back 10 feet from my yak, my clamp comes completely off and I'm now I'm holding the reel in my hand. That's when I decided to just cut my losses. I cut the line with hopes of getting back in the zone with the bite still active but no luck on a redeeming fish for me. Well maybe next time. I now understand the urgency of getting that fish landed in a hurry and will up the pressure a bit next time.

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:28 PM   #2
surf-bum

Dont know how it would be in Cali, but we have the same problem here in Hawaii. We have sharks that take your fish instead of dogs. Sometimes its better for us to just let the fish run when it wants to instead of locking um down and boosting it in. I think that when you boost it up, the fish doesnt have anywhere to run, making it easier for the shark/seal to grab. Just a thought.
surf-bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:37 AM   #3
dorado50

Oh the trials and tribulations of William! Good thought in above post, works when dog is in pursuit. My thought when in the "dog zone", once hooked up put your whole rod (except reel) in the water as to NOT attract attention. Works well too. The screaming of joy will also attract the dog, best to keep it on the down-low till fish is on the deck. Better luck next time.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:42 AM   #4
Deamon

Novot! Bummer story brotha, sorry. If I KNOW a dog is about to jump me, I go free spool w the fish...if I'm not so close to the kelp. Most of the time the seal is cruising in for a look and bails out soon after if it sees nothing. Keep some tension as the line is given out but it has worked well for me. Jim
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:13 AM   #5
Smthtnnr
Fishing Addict

Bummer man! Your time is coming, and its gonna be the best damn sashimi when it finally happens
Smthtnnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:28 AM   #6
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

trials and tribulations

I guess you could call it that. I just call it time on the water. I learn something new every time I fish lj. Yeah I'm bummed about losing the fish but it's also renewed my vigor where I was really starting to get discouraged. I at least know that I can find the fish and my knots will hold. I'll put one on deck this summer. My new years resolution wasn't to catch a yellowtail. It was to drive down at least twice a month and earn the time on the water until I get my fish. So far I've stuck to that resolution so it will happen.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:50 AM   #7
jorluivil

I had two similar situations last year when I was on the Islander trip. I hooked up on a yellow twice and each time there was a seal just waiting for the fish to come up. As soon as I saw the deal I left the each fish hanging in about the 50'-60' column, once I noticed that the seal scrammed I starting bringing the fish up.

As far as the reel goes; righty tighy lefty loosey

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:55 AM   #8
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I had two similar situations last year when I was on the Islander trip. I hooked up on a yellow twice and each time there was a seal just waiting for the fish to come up. As soon as I saw the deal I left the each fish hanging in about the 50'-60' column, once I noticed that the seal scrammed I starting bringing the fish up.

As far as the reel goes; righty tighy lefty loosey
Haha I think the rod out classes the reel. Or I need longer clamp hardware. I thought it would be fine but under real pressure, not so much

Old 05-28-2014, 07:12 AM   #9
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Novotny View Post
Haha I think the rod out classes the reel. Or I need longer clamp hardware. I thought it would be fine but under real pressure, not so much

It Happens....................................

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:20 AM   #10
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Novotny View Post

http://www.jigstop.com/tackle/jr-jon...el-clamps.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:30 AM   #11
blitzburgh

That sucks! But there are a ton of guys on this board that wish they at least had that problem

You'll get em'
Old 05-28-2014, 10:23 AM   #12
CKallday71

The Dog population out there seems to be going CRAZY and they're getting more and more bold all the time.

Hey Will, I'm going to be out on the 3rd! Hit me up and we'll try again. I'll cover your six while you reel, maybe Easyday will come too and cover the right flank.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:59 AM   #13
Raskal311

The YT i hooked last year ended very similar but not as dramatic, the dang thing ran in to the kelp and I spent half an hour breaking through the dang things. Before I could break the fish free we saw a dog headed straight down where the fish was and we knew it was over.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:03 AM   #14
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKallday71 View Post
The Dog population out there seems to be going CRAZY and they're getting more and more bold all the time.

Hey Will, I'm going to be out on the 3rd! Hit me up and we'll try again. I'll cover your six while you reel, maybe Easyday will come too and cover the right flank.
Lets just bring our guns and put a dent in the population

Old 05-28-2014, 02:46 PM   #15
FISH11

I guess you where right when yesterday you said "the day is not over yet". Congratulations on the hook up too bad you lost it. The Dogs there, are really a problem I'm with you on they need to control their population. They are not endangered and they have become lazy and don't work too hard for their meals. Some of the problem yesterday was the lack of cattle boats because they attract them and keep them off the Kayaks. It was good to meet you. We'll have better luck this Summer coming up. Thight Lines, Mark.