Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2006, 09:01 PM   #21
splitty

OLE! Classic report Adi!!!
splitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 06:53 AM   #22
MKNOTT

I didnt take one pic w/ my camera on the trip because Adi and Andy were on it so hard. Thanks for putting so much time and money into the documetation of this sport guys. I think everyone has pimped pictures from Andy over the years, I know my favorite ones have. Looking fwd to this sat for some BWE tourney big fish jackpot style yakfishing and weigh in bbq fellowship. What will take it this year??? MKNOTT

When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea, <O
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman.
MKNOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 06:03 PM   #23
kurt

Great report, Adi. What about day 2?
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:55 PM   #24
lamb

:lol:

I typed it all up yesterday... it only took me only something like 6 hours. :roll: I uploaded too many pictures, messed up the links... I tried to sort it out, then got frustrated and gave up...

I was busy today...

Day 2 coming up in...
Old 10-05-2006, 08:57 PM   #25
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
Having all 8 or so of us plus the driver stacked up in that caravan while laughing my ass off trying to keep my neck intact since we were doing 50mph on that bumpy road in a beat up car – priceless… The whole time, I felt like I was 18 years old again.
Sterotypical south of the border cab, the sulferous stench of Pemex and the squealing fanbelt and the windows that would not roll down........glad I called shotgun :lol: :lol:

Com'on Adi that should have been in Day 2
Old 10-05-2006, 09:54 PM   #26
T-Rex

Great reports and pics. Sounds like a great mothership adventure!
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:01 PM   #27
lamb

Day 2

We woke up to find Mike snagging some bait size fish… Brent went down for a dive. A steady 7-8 knots South-ish wind was blowing. It wasn’t as nice as the day before, but not too bad. The boat pulled up tight to SW corner of the Island. We launched our kayaks to work the West side, while drifting North. San Pedro Island is awesome.

Uninhabited, untouched natural beauty. Every ridge, every cove was something to see. The drop off in front side of the island was pretty steep, but there was no waves crashing. I was paddling a few feet from the rocks. I kept casting swim bait tight to the rocks, retrieving while letting it sink following the bottom.

All sorts of intriguing structure on the fishfinder, with marks on it. That place is just loaded with fish. They were hitting squid strips, swimbaits, grubs… pretty much anything you dropped down. We almost had a non-stop action.

We caught nothing too big, but I’m sure there were some big’ns lurking down on the bottom We released majority of the fish we caught. We kept a couple of bigger models that Alex later turned into the best ceviche I ever had.

At one point, the birds started working maybe ½ miles out. Andy was closer and paddled towards them. Having caught my dosage of bottom fish, I was eager to venture out. Another pile of birds formed up closer to me, so I charged their way. With no protection from the island, the wind chop was nasty. The birds kept moving; I never really caught up to them. I kept working the area where I thought they hang out first, dragging rapala and the dead squid. The clicker where I had the squid soon went off. I set the hook and lil’ dorado started jumping. Sweet, there were some at the Island as well!

As I brought him under the kayak, I saw another follower. I popped my camera out and tried to get the lil’ guy on my line to go airborne for a Kodak picture moment. He was worn out. He finally charged bhind me and almost jumped in my kayak, hitting the side and falling back in the water. I cut him out of his misery and put him on the stringer.

I went back in tighter to the Island. I skipped breakfast; I was starving. El Duque was anchored at the NW corner - time for me to get back in.

I borrowed snorkeling mask to check out how it looked underneath. I saw big schools of fish of all sorts of shapes and colors… Amazing.

We started heading back to San Carlos in the PMs. We were going to spend the night on the boat anchored in the slip, and head back home early in the morning.

We slow trolled, drifted, made stops to jump in the water. We even had a casting contest going on! Like kids - having pure fun and loving every minute of it.

Sunset over the San Pedro Island.

Boyz were back in town… Not much of a town, and not too many people as the season down there is just starting. A couple of places to eat & drink along the bay, thatz it. OK, there’s a strip club too but we didn’t feel like stripping that night :lol:

That’s where the 9 people in the beat up cab episode took place… We couldn’t even fit in the picture, let alone the cab.

Some more carne asada tacos and beer…

I will definitely go back, there is no doubt about that.

Fishing is just great down there; the exotic stuff that we crave so much around here seems very much available this time of the year. Going there with a group of friends will etch it in your mind forever.

Big time thanks to Brent and OEX crew for inviting me over. Sorry that severely outnumbered Bad Lamb Team kicked OEX team butt… :twisted: Hey, we didn’t get that team name for nothing… Sorry for constantly rubbing it in… OK OK, we’ll cut you some slack since one of your top guns unfortunately couldn’t make the trip… :lol:

Just unforgetablambelievable!

Long drive back home… After such a trip – piece of cake.

Awesome pic Andy!!!

Old 10-06-2006, 07:04 PM   #28
aguachico

Great job guys. Getting out of LJ is good for ya.
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote