Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #1
Carp
(⌐■_■)--︻╦╤─ - - -

noob checking in

Wanted to say nice forum and I have already learned a lot. I grew up freshwater fishing in: ME,OH,MI I'm currently looking for my first kayak and it's tough. I'm a bigger guy 6'2 230# and I'm looking for stability and comfort w/ a budget of 1k$ I really like the Jackson cuda 14 but a little outta my budget.

Some questions for you guys: (Saltwater is foreign to me)

What tackle is needed for a typical day of fishing in Point Loma or La Jolla

Rod, reel, etc. ? line?

I have went on guided charters in Cabo, Miami, and Maine the deckhands pretty much did everything while we drank beer and reeled in fish.

Thanks in Advanced

My background is Navy (Hull Tech) then I became an armorer/gunsmith if you have any questions about firearms or hunting (Deer/turkey/coyote) feel free to shoot me a PM.
Carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:01 PM   #2
raffman55

Welcome. I'd recommend you check out OEX, pick their brains, (it's their business!) test paddle a few til you find one you like. Ask to buddy up on your first times out, a lotta' people willing to help here, they won't steer you wrong. If you ever want to hit up SD Bay, drop me a line, haven't got my LJ gear back up to snuff yet. Good luck.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
Yakly

I just went through the same though I'm not 6'2 but 240. OEX recommended something like the x-factor or the Sealth by Malibu. There not as fast as some of the others but very stable especially for a 1st boat. Most of the others are a little narrower and not as stable initially until you get the hang of things.

I'd definitely take the advise of going down and talking to these guys. They've been doing this for a long time and have a great selection. I believe OEX SD has last years Sealth on special right now for something around $750.

Go check them out, it's a shopping mall!!!!!!!
Yakly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #4
Carp
(⌐■_■)--︻╦╤─ - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffman55 View Post
Welcome. I'd recommend you check out OEX, pick their brains, (it's their business!) test paddle a few til you find one you like. Ask to buddy up on your first times out, a lotta' people willing to help here, they won't steer you wrong. If you ever want to hit up SD Bay, drop me a line, haven't got my LJ gear back up to snuff yet. Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakly View Post
I just went through the same though I'm not 6'2 but 240. OEX recommended something like the x-factor or the Sealth by Malibu. There not as fast as some of the others but very stable especially for a 1st boat. Most of the others are a little narrower and not as stable initially until you get the hang of things.

I'd definitely take the advise of going down and talking to these guys. They've been doing this for a long time and have a great selection. I believe OEX SD has last years Sealth on special right now for something around $750.

Go check them out, it's a shopping mall!!!!!!!

Went to OEX today and they gave me the same recommendations x-factor,stealth and I recommended myself the cuda 14 the seat was really comfortable and I like the different heights.
I'm looking used for now.

I appreciate the replies I'm still looking for rod/reel recommendations

Last edited by Carp; 07-03-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:00 PM   #5
scotty1369

welcome

Welcome to the forum jeff. once we find you a kayak we will hit it hard.
scotty1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:50 AM   #6
Carp
(⌐■_■)--︻╦╤─ - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1369 View Post
Welcome to the forum jeff. once we find you a kayak we will hit it hard.
Indeed Scott I'm scouring the board and CL. I'm also going to buy a couple rods when I figure out what to get. I'm hoping to have one by next weekend.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:59 AM   #7
Hammerhead_77

Don't buy until you check out a Pro Angler!
Hammerhead_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:20 AM   #8
taggermike

There are plenty of good yaks to be had used. The maibu extreem and x-factor are big satble yaks and great to fish from. I have the xtream' I call it the SUV. As for tackle, most of your fresh water bass gear will work well in the bays. For LJ you'll need a set up to fish 30lb. And maybe some thing for 20. Might seam heavy but Don't get your ass kick right off the bat cause YT pull much harder and for longer than you think they can. Depending on your budget they could be penn 500s on big 5 sabers or trinidas on custom calstars. Start fishing and see how things work out and learn what you needand how you want your yak to be set up. If you're loving the yak fishing thing you can add set ups to fish calicos, yo-yo, and surface iron. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:59 AM   #9
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

welcome aboard!!!

for a bigger guy with a budget, i'd have to say the malibu kayaks are a real good choice. (mainly the malibu x-factor)

for la jolla.. you'll need at least 2 different types of setups. 1 can be from your freshwater bass arsenel (something to use a sabiki and catch lots of bait)

for yt, wsb, calicos, cudas, and (if you are very lucky to not get broken off) sharks.... i'd stick with a 6'0" - 7'6" rod. something that would cover 15-30#

reels... daiwa sealine is a very cash-friendly option. spooled with lots of spectra and some mono/fluoro topshot. fluoro is my go-to for most fish (except sharks) because of its invisibility factor and low-stretch.

hooks: you'll need lots of hooks. from size 1 to 3/0. live bait hooks and ringed hooks

plastics: i know the freshwater bass guys love using plastics. and BIG HAMMER is my go-to plastic i have 4" and 5" plastics in lots of colors. for la jolla kelp.. use weedless heads by War Baits (1/2oz to 1oz).

travel light on your first few trips and always "assume" you'll flip so tie your stuff down or store it in the hatches. it's a hassle at first because leashes are all over the place but its a safety measure. once you get used to wind, waves, and boat wakes.. you can pack more gear. goodluck!
Old 07-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #10
Yakly

Check out the link below, the Stealth is a good yak and sounds like its in your budget. Getrdone so we can hit the water.......

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...nce/Categories
Yakly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:59 PM   #11
Carp
(⌐■_■)--︻╦╤─ - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
There are plenty of good yaks to be had used. The maibu extreem and x-factor are big satble yaks and great to fish from. I have the xtream' I call it the SUV. As for tackle, most of your fresh water bass gear will work well in the bays. For LJ you'll need a set up to fish 30lb. And maybe some thing for 20. Might seam heavy but Don't get your ass kick right off the bat cause YT pull much harder and for longer than you think they can. Depending on your budget they could be penn 500s on big 5 sabers or trinidas on custom calstars. Start fishing and see how things work out and learn what you needand how you want your yak to be set up. If you're loving the yak fishing thing you can add set ups to fish calicos, yo-yo, and surface iron. Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentek9 View Post
welcome aboard!!!

for a bigger guy with a budget, i'd have to say the malibu kayaks are a real good choice. (mainly the malibu x-factor)

for la jolla.. you'll need at least 2 different types of setups. 1 can be from your freshwater bass arsenel (something to use a sabiki and catch lots of bait)

for yt, wsb, calicos, cudas, and (if you are very lucky to not get broken off) sharks.... i'd stick with a 6'0" - 7'6" rod. something that would cover 15-30#

reels... daiwa sealine is a very cash-friendly option. spooled with lots of spectra and some mono/fluoro topshot. fluoro is my go-to for most fish (except sharks) because of its invisibility factor and low-stretch.

hooks: you'll need lots of hooks. from size 1 to 3/0. live bait hooks and ringed hooks

plastics: i know the freshwater bass guys love using plastics. and BIG HAMMER is my go-to plastic i have 4" and 5" plastics in lots of colors. for la jolla kelp.. use weedless heads by War Baits (1/2oz to 1oz).

travel light on your first few trips and always "assume" you'll flip so tie your stuff down or store it in the hatches. it's a hassle at first because leashes are all over the place but its a safety measure. once you get used to wind, waves, and boat wakes.. you can pack more gear. goodluck!

Picked up a used x-factor from the board. Now to get a pfd gaff and maybe a longer paddle
Old 07-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #12
kiyo21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justjeff View Post
Picked up a used x-factor from the board. Now to get a pfd gaff and maybe a longer paddle
gaff = http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=17671

talk to tin slayer he makes custom gaffs for a great price and he puts quality work and craftsmanship in to each and every one highly recommend his gaffs

rods and reels- I use a calstar 100j w/ an avet mxj mc with 65# braid & 50yd. izor 20# topshot for my surface iron
and kelp cutter rig i use phenix m1 8' w/ avet sxj mc with 30# braid & 3'-5' leader izor 25#

good luck! and Keep you lines tight
kiyo21 is offline   Reply With Quote