Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
tacklebox
I got gas!

How long do you typically stay out fishing?

I was just wondering -
How long do you tend to stay out fishing? Sometimes I lose track of time and its been 9 hours and the sun has gone down long ago but Im still watching my poles like a hawk eagerly awaiting that *tap tap tap.
So, in a kayak or not, whats the average for you guys?
Old 02-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
GregAndrew

Until the fish cry "Uncle", or the back does.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
dorado50

On the kayak a great day is 45mins. to an hour with a fish or two. Normal day 4-5hrs with a fish or two. Six hours with no fish I feel like I'm beating a dead horse. On the boat I plan to stay out a minimum of two days,normally a three to four day trip. After sunset we will tuck in on leeside of an island or if no land in sight put out the chute and alternate watches at the helm.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:42 PM   #4
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

As long as it takes for one of the following to happen:
  • I have to return the rental boat
  • The park/lake is closing
  • I run out of daylight
  • I run out of food/snacks
  • I run out of ideas
  • I run out of fishing buddies who are as dedicated (they call it crazy) as me
  • I limit out (least likely to happen)
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:42 PM   #5
JarrodMc

till we catch all the fish, or we drink all the beer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJEsSgSW5DU
JarrodMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:49 PM   #6
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

As long as i can
Old 02-27-2013, 10:34 PM   #7
blitzburgh

It all depends on, you know...her.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:59 AM   #8
StinkyMatt

One TEXT from the wife........keep fishing

Two texts from the wife......keep fishing

Three texts from the wife.......keep fishing (closer to the shoreline)

Four texts from the wife.......reply that you are already loaded up and on the freeway (while you keep fishing)

Five or more texts from the wife.......Screw it, you are already in the dog house, tell her to clean the house, make your dinner and you don't know when you will be getting home!
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:55 AM   #9
taggermike

If I don't have an imposed time limit (family stuff, work, yadda yadda) my general rule is I'll stay out till I'm not having fun any more. I try not to let yakking feel like work or like some kind of dutie. If the conditions are still good and I'm still feeling optimistic I'll stay out. If it looks dead but I'm exploring new areas or there is a some thing cool to see I'll stay out. Maybe others can second this but since I started fishing a hobie I stay out much much longer than I ever did on my paddle kayaks. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:08 AM   #10
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
One TEXT from the wife........keep fishing

Two texts from the wife......keep fishing

Three texts from the wife.......keep fishing (closer to the shoreline)

Four texts from the wife.......reply that you are already loaded up and on the freeway (while you keep fishing)

Five or more texts from the wife.......Screw it, you are already in the dog house, tell her to clean the house, make your dinner and you don't know when you will be getting home!
that's pretty funny though and true
Old 02-28-2013, 09:01 AM   #11
jorluivil

I fish until the bait starts playing dead

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:27 AM   #12
TEAMFISH
Team Kayak Obesessions

I don't like to make any other plans the day when I'm set to Yak. If the other half doesn't have the list for me that day (not a word Brett) I'll stay six to eight hours, depending on the conditions.
TEAMFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:33 AM   #13
Jimmyz123

I learned a long time ago that when you are going out to have a plan, so I do. I plan all the gear that I'm going to take and need, and then some extras to prepare for any situations that may come up. If I'm out on the water for more than 2 hours and none of the things I'm using for the first plan are getting results, then I start doing other things, and then if I have done everything and nothing's happening, I usually will call it a day, but I like to be on the water for at least 6 hours before I call it quits for the day.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:43 AM   #14
raffman55

Usually plan on being out a minimum of 3-4 hours, generally 6-8. Longest runs have been over 10 hours, did 2 days of 8 hours each on MB a few years ago but my ass was flat for quite awhile. Now it just depends on if the wind picks up, or if I take on water, otherwise I'll keep fishing...
Old 02-28-2013, 10:26 AM   #15
sasha

Damn first off I'm way ahead of all you married guys :the_finge r: .
I stay out till I'm too tired and my butt hurts. Thats the most common reason about 4-6 hours.
right behind that reason is that I'm soooo sea sick and really don't care about fishing kayaking or the next world war. I jsut want to be home and away from the ocean kayaking and everyone else.. Leave me alone can't you see I'm sea sick. Say one more word and I bite you, I got sea sick so bad a couple of times that I were willing to jump in the ocean and have a shark put me out of my missery.
I need to get back on the water, Been too busy lately.
sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #16
tacklebox
I got gas!

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who stays out over 6-8 hrs. (Sometimes longer )
My other half is usually pretty understanding and can keep herself busy, most of the time. But sometimes its like , Jesus woman.... Let me fish ! My phone is in a waterproof bag and it is a pain to get to with a pole in one hand and a cervesa in the other!
Old 02-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #17
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha View Post
Damn first off I'm way ahead of all you married guys :the_finge r: .
I stay out till I'm too tired and my butt hurts. Thats the most common reason about 4-6 hours.
right behind that reason is that I'm soooo sea sick and really don't care about fishing kayaking or the next world war. I jsut want to be home and away from the ocean kayaking and everyone else.. Leave me alone can't you see I'm sea sick. Say one more word and I bite you, I got sea sick so bad a couple of times that I were willing to jump in the ocean and have a shark put me out of my missery.
I need to get back on the water, Been too busy lately.
For your sea sickness issue go to your doctor and ask for the pill form of scopace. Take it before you go out on your kayak and you will not be sea sick again. Don't mess with the patch, although it works, that one you have to put on the night before you go out. The pill works even if you are on the water. My dad was sick and the guy we were fishing with gave him a pill of scopace and in 10 minutes he was already feeling better, and was right as rain the rest of the day. Trust me it works you'll be able to stay out longer.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:11 PM   #18
JeffB

As long as the wife will let me! Or until whom ever fishes with me is crying to go home! Went out last night at 3:30ish didn't get home till 6 this morning.

Last edited by JeffB; 02-28-2013 at 04:06 PM.
JeffB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:16 PM   #19
old_rookie

wow - I see I'm not alone on the conditions that determine how long you are on the water..... wife/her/other half/texts/honey-do-list. I really thought I was the only one.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:38 PM   #20
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
For your sea sickness issue go to your doctor and ask for the pill form of scopace. Take it before you go out on your kayak and you will not be sea sick again. Don't mess with the patch, although it works, that one you have to put on the night before you go out. The pill works even if you are on the water. My dad was sick and the guy we were fishing with gave him a pill of scopace and in 10 minutes he was already feeling better, and was right as rain the rest of the day. Trust me it works you'll be able to stay out longer.
Those pills were called Scopace, and they worked awesome. Unfortunately they were discontinued by the mfgr about a year ago and you can no longer get them. I stocked up prepper style

I like to stay out on the water about an hour, sometimes less.
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote