Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2012, 11:59 AM   #1
Yakin

BWE Amazing Kayak

Ever since I have become apart of this sight, I have seen many amazing reports and met the same amount of great salty people.
Well my question is:
How did you all come upon the sport of kayak fishing?
How did you find BWE?

AND

What is your PB off of your kayak?!

Me,
I came upon kayak fishing when I was on a half day fishing trip out of DP and saw some guy on a kayak being dragged by a big Thresher and then watched him bash its face in and kayak back into land with the biggest smile, I was hooked ever since.

I found BWE from a member I talked to over Youtube, echo1er.

My PB so far is a #42 flat head catfish out of the Mississippi River in 2005.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
dorado50

Kayak fishing has been around for many,many years. There are only a few original kayak guys that still contribute to this site; Iceman and Sammons come to mine.Sadly alot of really good kayak fisherman seldom contribute much anymore! (I wonder why?). LJ is my front yard how could I not kayak fish? Even though I mostly fish off boats,in different parts of US and Mex., I still get the hobie out when at home. Peace out bro...
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
TEAMFISH
Team Kayak Obesessions

I only started kayaking back in September, I guess what got me started was the need to fill spot between a float tube and my 25' Skipjack. I use to love getting my boat as close in to the kelp as possible without wrapping the props or plugging the water intake. It always seemed that the boat was to big to get to those fishy spots. Plus the fact that it's just a pure way of doing what I love.
P.B.? Well lets just say "I'm still working on it"

Last edited by TEAMFISH; 05-21-2012 at 12:26 PM. Reason: spelling
TEAMFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:09 PM   #4
jorluivil

I don't recall how I got started or how I even found out it existed but when I bought my kayak I still owned my boat, I would fish from my boat one week and the kayak the next week. When I got laid off in February 2009 it was bye-bye fishing boat and HELLLLLLLLLO kayaking!!!

How did you find BWE?

Don't recall but I think I found it through bloodydecks, did join a few other sites before I really stuck to this one.

Hali: 27lbs
WSB: 43lbs
Lizard Fish: 15inches

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:49 PM   #5
yakman619
HMFIC

For me, I grew up fishing; from the moment I could walk, I spent my weekends with the old man out on the water. When I joined the Army, I lost touch with my "fisherman side", the only time I would fish is when my brothers and I got together.

My younger brother passed away January of this year, and I needed something to "get away to", something where I could clear my head. I knew fishing was it. I remember my brother calling me at three o'clock in the morning from his kayak off shore from seattle to tell me he had just been dragged a mile out to sea by something and it was snowing, lol...Thinking back on that, I knew Kayak fishing was the way to go. It seemed simple, fun, and causes you to spend a hell of a lot more time on the water. I'm so glad I made the plunge!

I heard about BWE from the guy I bought my kayak from. As for personal best...I guess it would be a four pound large mouth bass I snagged on my maiden voyage (though I lost it when I went to lip him)...I'm hoping to snag somehting decent sometime soon.
yakman619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:52 PM   #6
mtnbykr2

I remember when...I traded a "downhill" mountain bike in 2007 for my first kayak, I hadn't been on the downhill bike after I wrecked pretty good and took out my back for umpteenth time, decided well, I have gotten rid of the big boat I had, then got out of a 24 foot Skipjack, then sold my bass boat and started fishing from an Xfactor, I was on Baytubers for a while then found BWE, addiction set in and the rest is history, I have met alot of great people here, learned alot and still learning. I have met alot of people on the water that I have been fishing with for several years now, and have become great friends with many, it is just a good bunch of guys,
and girls with a passion for fishing, but we do it out of a kayak!
I have been at this deal for about 6 years now and just this weekend I was fortunate enough to get my PB two times on one trip
Old 05-21-2012, 04:09 PM   #7
Baja_Traveler

I've been kayaking almost 40 years now (Damn I feel old!) Been fishing out of them off and on for about 35 years. I guess I was part of the original kayak fishing crew, but I never really socialized much, and still don't. Heck - I've only got 62 posts since 2005! - and most of those have been in the past year...

I guess my PB would be a 40lb Yellowtail that took the jackpot on the very first Mother Ship trip out to San Clemente. That was quite a few years ago...
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:17 PM   #8
KatFish

Well for the last six years or so my husband would rent boats on base at MCRD and its $50 bucks a pop. He was looking at buying some yaks before he deployed and when he got home he decide to buy himself one but the day before we went, he thought it might be fun to buy all of us one and save the $50 and just fish off the yaks. So he went online to do some research and found BWE and OEX and read and watch videos you all were posting. That's how we got here : ) So glad we did I love reading people's posts and looking at all the awesome pics! It's nice to know there is a yak family out there i.e. BWE peeps
KatFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:28 PM   #9
min-va

Having a boat has been my dream since i was kid, but having a boat is not as easy as i thought after i started to making money... For some reason, did a lot of research online about fishing 3 years ago , and found out about Kayak fishing, and been dreaming about if i can do kayak fishing, had a lot of concerns, like will i get shark attack?? what will happen if i flip? and can i really handle this kind of sport....?? and about Aug of 2011, i decided i should just give it a try, so bought a kayak....from then, i enjoy every single trip, no matter it was a skunk or i caught my PB hali...and i really like to paddle......and really, is not that easy to flip as i thought
And this is the only thing that make me wake up at 4AM in the morning.

How did you find BWE?

Google search "kayak fishing form"

26" Halibut ??lbs
Old 05-21-2012, 07:33 PM   #10
StinkyMatt

Wife and I went to Catalina for a romantic trip. I "accidentally" brought a rod.

We rented a tendem, she paddled in the front while I trolled a rapalla behind us. We got into 6 species of fish in 2 hours on 1 jig.

Years later after float tubing for a decade, Tim (tagyak) and I were in a canoe in NPH getting worked by bat rays. Saw some kayaks.

Thats all I think about now.

Kayak PB:

YT 19
Hali 21
WSB 43
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:15 AM   #11
Jimmyz123

Well back in 2003 some buddies of mine from another fishing wed site were getting Kayaks to fish from. I personally thought they were crazy. Then I kept hearing about Jim Sammons catching Marlin from kayaks and started seeing more out on the bay and ocean. Finally in 2009 a buddy picked one up and that got me thinking, why not. So my buddy sent me a link to a kayak that was listed here on BWE and that's how I found the web site, funny thing is I already had a hat that had BWE on it from the Fred Hall Show that I went to the year before. So Kayak fishing and BWE were kind of launched at the same time.

Personal best right now from a Kayak I would have to say is the Angel shark I caught this last weekend. Up until then I had caught plenty of bass, halibut, and other fish but nothing with the size and weight as the shark. This year I will be pulling some better fish over the side of he Kayak for sure. Pictures to follow.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:19 AM   #12
taggermike

Kayak fishing was sort of a natural progression for me. I grew up here in SD and always fished with my dad; bay, kelpbeds off shore, mexico. I made a float tube out of a car tire, an old pair of levis, and some rope. I fished off a short board in Baja, off a long board, off a paddle board, off a POS little row boat, off a crazy Huckleberry Fin log raft thing to fish the little gravel quary lake when I was kid. A kayak was like a dream come true to me, and after all my other wierd water craft felt like a real, almost, boat. I got my first kayak about 14 years ago and havent looked back. East Coast, West Coast, SD, Orange county, Baja, Salton Sea. It's all good. I guess I had a quick lerning curve from surfing since I was 12, fishing since I was 3, being on the ocean my whole life, and paddling and fishing so many not too fishing friendly "boats". Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #13
wildwing621
Fish Whhhisperer

I got into kayaking when i was twelve got my own boat when I was 15...It was a much easier way to get to the fish then getting a boat. I love it tho its my life the past 7 years have been amazing wouldnt trade them for the world....

PB

Spotty-5 pound
Ray- Bat ray 150 pounds
Hali-24' 10 pounds

The Ocean is my home

GO DUCKS
wildwing621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:52 AM   #14
wildwing621
Fish Whhhisperer

Oh and I heard about BWE due to the fact that hear at my work (La Jolla Sea Cave Kayaks) we use the boat launch cam everyday lol

The Ocean is my home

GO DUCKS
Old 05-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #15
wildwing621
Fish Whhhisperer

not 24 feet 24"

The Ocean is my home

GO DUCKS
Old 05-22-2012, 11:04 PM   #16
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

We fished off longboards with milk crates bunjeed to the nose years before kayak fishing became popular. Did some diving for lobster on small reefs in North SD County. Eventually, we bought some swimming pool kayaks at a garage sale and used them instead. Did plenty of fishing in SD County and Baja without ever seeing anybody else. Then, like everything else that ten people did twenty years ago; thousands are doing it now.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:44 AM   #17
Baja_Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbo613 View Post
Did plenty of fishing in SD County and Baja without ever seeing anybody else. Then, like everything else that ten people did twenty years ago; thousands are doing it now.
Man - dont you know it! Remember when people used to point and stare at us paddling those wierd eskimo boats?
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:54 AM   #18
raffman55

Saw an article in the UT on Jim Sammons on a kayak hooked up to a marlin, looked like fun. Found BWE through him, personal best is a WSB @ 36 lbs.. Halibut @ 10 lbs. Still looking for my 1st Yellowtail, and my first Baja trip. Soon...
Old 05-25-2012, 09:10 AM   #19
Badtaste2k

I've been into fishing since I was a kid. I was lucky enough to get to go to Padre Island, TX every summer when I was young and go fishing with my Granddad. Living out here in So Cal, i would go out on the party boats whenever I could scrape enough money together. My parents didn't go fishing and I was that loner kid on the boat who would stick to himself. As I got older and married, and the one fishing buddy I had got married and moved away I fell out of the sport. I've always wanted to own a small powerboat but knew the wife would argue so I kind of moved on.

Last year when my second Daughter was born I felt like I needed a life change because I was grossly overweight. I started finding ways to exercise that I could enjoy and began renting a kayak for a couple hours once a week in Long Beach. I saw a couple guys fishing the harbor and Ding! I can fish off this thing! I made a plan to lose 100lbs and for every lb I lost I would put $15 into an envelope. This way I could get a nice set up and how could the wife argue with that?

50lbs later I picked up an OK Trident 13. another 25 later and I have the fish finder and some new gear. I'm sitting at 200 lbs now from the 275 I started at and loving fishing again. I haven' t hit the 100lb goal yet but It is just around the corner. I may have embellished the fund a little bit to pick up a few luxuries though like the GTS Expedition Seat

Now I have found a new love for the water and fishing and my 4 year old daughter can't wait to get on the water with me this summer. Maybe If i can get the girls into water sports and fishing i'll be able to convince the wife about picking up that powerboat after all
It amazed me how much fishing knowledge I had lost and the things I had to learn. I found BWE through google searching and I glad I did. Everyone here has always been very friendly and supportive. I still have yet to pull up a Hali on the kayak and I am always a little hessitant to meet up with others do to how green I am on the Kayak, but I guess one of these days I'll have to get over that and let one of you Cabrillo masters show me what I should be doing!

My personal best from the Kayak is nothing but a bunch of Bass from the PV kelp, a few nice size though I am happy to say!

I hope to fish with any and all of you one day!

Dan
Badtaste2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:55 AM   #20
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

i started float tubing when i was 12 or 13. fun times, but id always see kayaks out there too and they'd go further and quicker. during my last few months in okinawa i started researching about them and watching videos by Jciviche and threshers and YT being hauled up from the depths. thought it was amazing. went kayaking a few times in Oki to try it out and loved it. found an XFactor on CL a week before i came home, called the guy up and told him my story and he agreed to hold on to it and i went and picked it up the day i flew in. sore shoulders and bloody hulls ever since.