Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2022, 12:20 PM   #1
Pagzzz
Junior

Loading PA14 in shortbed truck

Looking at getting into Kayak fishing for the first time, and have never owned a big kayak. How does everyone deal with a 14' kayak and a 5' short bed truck? I have a 2013 F150 supercrew with the short bed. I also have a collapseable Thule Rack that I used for carrying my 40lb outrigger canoe ... but I am guessing it is impractical to carry a 100lb+ kayak up on those racks without wrecking my back getting it down/up.

Curious to see what the best solution is for transport
Pagzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 02:05 PM   #2
FoodGeekFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagzzz View Post
Looking at getting into Kayak fishing for the first time, and have never owned a big kayak. How does everyone deal with a 14' kayak and a 5' short bed truck? I have a 2013 F150 supercrew with the short bed. I also have a collapseable Thule Rack that I used for carrying my 40lb outrigger canoe ... but I am guessing it is impractical to carry a 100lb+ kayak up on those racks without wrecking my back getting it down/up.

Curious to see what the best solution is for transport
Hitch extenders (Boonedox, Yakima, Rhino Rack) are a common solution if rack loading doesn't make sense.
FoodGeekFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 04:30 PM   #3
Saba Slayer

Bed extender...

The extender works great on my Tacoma with a 6' bed...
I have a few friends and customers that have bought the 12' PA so that they don't have to use an extender...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2184.jpg (69.9 KB, 100 views)

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 04:41 PM   #4
Pagzzz
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
The extender works great on my Tacoma with a 6' bed...
I have a few friends and customers that have bought the 12' PA so that they don't have to use an extender...
I definitely need the PA14 since I am a BIG guy, but the extender looks like the trick. Just have to watch those tight turns I guess since it will swing wide, but I have towed 40' canoes, so probably OK.
Pagzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 07:19 PM   #5
LEEZO

the boondox groovy T-bone is game changer for my PA14. I disconnect it from the hitch and pop it inside my Tahoe when i head out to the water. if there is a way to cable lock or pad lock it to the hitch or truck bed i would recommend that to deter the methmaticians.
LEEZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 05:49 AM   #6
JohnMckroidJr

3x for the T-bar. Mine is a cheap one off eBay fortified with a towel tie-strapped onto the base to cushion the kayak and PVC with reflective tape added to the goalposts for increased visibility.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TacomaTbars.jpg (119.9 KB, 60 views)
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 06:46 AM   #7
tak100
Recruit

I put PVC pipe over the bar the kayak rests on and I have been very happy with the results.

Much better the pool noodles that just couldn't handle the weight.
tak100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 11:37 AM   #8
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tak100 View Post
I put PVC pipe over the bar the kayak rests on and I have been very happy with the results.

Much better the pool noodles that just couldn't handle the weight.
I started out with the pool noodles, but like you mentioned they don't handle the weight and created more friction. The folded-up towel is just now starting to break down, but it has been there for several years and provides a soft cushion to push the kayak along.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote