Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 09-15-2021, 09:21 PM   #1
Dwight Schrute
Junior

San Diego Harbor Kayak Fishing Tips

Although a native Arizonan, I grew up fishing Crystal Pier, LaJolla kelp and Coronado Islands because my grandparents lived in Pacific Beach. My brother now owns a boat slipped at Marriott Marina; I want to take advantage of that with some kayak fishing in the harbor. I would greatly appreciate any tips regarding kayak fishing the harbor. Thus far, I've been using my techniques from boat and pier fishing (except no live bait) without much luck. I've also tried freshwater bass fishing techniques using lures imitating squid and anchovy in addition to cut bait on the bottom in rocky areas. Even if I don't catch much, I love watching the aircraft from North Island NAS (I'm a USAF vet).
BTW, I release everything I catch.
Thanks,
"Dwight"
Dwight Schrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 04:40 AM   #2
JohnMckroidJr

Sounds like you had some fun times visiting your grandparents as a kid. Welcome to the forum.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 06:41 PM   #3
FoodGeekFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Schrute View Post
Although a native Arizonan, I grew up fishing Crystal Pier, LaJolla kelp and Coronado Islands because my grandparents lived in Pacific Beach. My brother now owns a boat slipped at Marriott Marina; I want to take advantage of that with some kayak fishing in the harbor. I would greatly appreciate any tips regarding kayak fishing the harbor. Thus far, I've been using my techniques from boat and pier fishing (except no live bait) without much luck. I've also tried freshwater bass fishing techniques using lures imitating squid and anchovy in addition to cut bait on the bottom in rocky areas. Even if I don't catch much, I love watching the aircraft from North Island NAS (I'm a USAF vet).
BTW, I release everything I catch.
Thanks,
"Dwight"
Swimbaits, tube baits, and dropshot grubs or Gulp mullet are all effective methods. Location may be more of a factor than methods - what areas of the bay are you typically fishing in?
FoodGeekFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 05:57 AM   #4
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Gulp 3in shrimp bait

Works good, motor oil single tail grubs
And all of the above he said.
Just go with the tide in or out and scrape the bottom two poles paddling slow with the tide. I got a 32in halibut with a red lead head twin tail chartreuse sitting in a pole holder on my back pole in the elbow of the bay. What's most important is a big movement of water in the tide because the clams on the bottom open up to feed and the fish eat them. I have caught big fat spotty pooping in my lap and spitting out clams. When the tide was going out I would launch at tidelands and go all the way to the midway ship and cross over the bay and come back the other side with the incoming tide. Always check the tide and go with it. If you launch at shelter island go out to Zuniga jetty with the tide and come in with the tide. Good luck tight lines is no joke.Some guys like to drop shot on fish I always like covering alot of Water and sight seeing just watch it in the channel keep your head on a swivel for ships. Had the hellacopter come down one time and help push me out of the way, if ships have nuclear on board get way back. You will be greeted by the navy security if you get to close to somewhere your not supposed to be.

Last edited by MITCHELL; 09-17-2021 at 06:51 PM.
MITCHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 06:45 AM   #5
SoCalEDC

Drop shot and 1/4-1/2oz lead heads with white gulp grubs have been winners for me in the bay.

Corvina can be had using top water baits and lipped trolling baits like rapalas etc.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 11:37 AM   #6
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
I would avoid using squid in the channel

You don't want to hook a big batray in the shipping lanes.
Old 09-17-2021, 02:09 PM   #7
Dwight Schrute
Junior

Thanks for the welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
Sounds like you had some fun times visiting your grandparents as a kid. Welcome to the forum.
It's amazing how seemingly minor events with the right people and at the right time can have such a lasting impact.
Old 09-17-2021, 03:22 PM   #8
Dwight Schrute
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoodGeekFish View Post
Swimbaits, tube baits, and dropshot grubs or Gulp mullet are all effective methods. Location may be more of a factor than methods - what areas of the bay are you typically fishing in?
Embarcadero Park North to Midway (also in Tuna Harbor) and south to Coronado Bridge. Thanks for the tips.
Old 09-17-2021, 03:37 PM   #9
Dwight Schrute
Junior

A lot of information!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHELL View Post
Works good, motor oil single tail grubs
And all of the above he said.
Just go with the tide in or out and scrape the bottom two poles paddling slow with the tide. I got a 32in halibut with a lead head twin tail chartreuse sitting in a pole holder on my back pole in the elbow of the bay. What's most important is a big movement of water 💧in the tide because the clams on the bottom open up to feed and the fish eat them. I have caught big fat spotty pooping 💩 in my lap and spitting out clams. When the tide was going out I would launch at tidelands and go all the way to the midway ship and cross over the bay and come back the other side with the incoming tide. Always check the tide and go with it. If you launch at shelter island go out to Zuniga jetty with the tide and come in with the tide. Good luck tight lines is no joke.Some guys like to drop shot on fish I always like covering alot of Water and sight seeing just watch it in the channel keep your head on a swivel for ships. Had the hellacopter come down one time and help push me out of the way, if ships have nuclear on board get way back. You will be greeted by the navy security if you get to close to somewhere your not supposed to be.
Being an Arizonan, I have a lot to learn about water movement and tides.
Thank you very much for the insight.
Old 09-17-2021, 03:40 PM   #10
FoodGeekFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Schrute View Post
Embarcadero Park North to Midway (also in Tuna Harbor) and south to Coronado Bridge. Thanks for the tips.
I'd try launching from Chula Vista Bayfront/J St and fishing the back bay, and launching at Tidelands in Coronado and fishing the moorings, out to the channel and up to the bridge.

Alternately, a launch from Shelter Island or Kellogg Beach and head out to fish around the bait barges (watch for traffic, and they have clamped down on how close you can be in a kayak), or time the tides and ride the outgoing to Zuniga, throw swimbaits and tubes for calico bass, and then ride the tide back in.
FoodGeekFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 03:50 PM   #11
Dwight Schrute
Junior

I'll try more white color; I've been using blue, green, metal flake silver (essentially trying to imitate anchovie). Thank you.
Old 09-20-2021, 04:09 PM   #12
Harry Hill

White fluke or Zman baits. The fluke work good but get torn up quickly, the Zman hold up to everything. I think the white looks like the belly of baitfish so it gets bit best for me.