Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2014, 08:22 AM   #21
PapaDave

I took the motor out for a spin at DP, worked fairly well but was not as fast as the 4 mph the guy got in his outback. My average with a fully loaded PA14 was 2.5. I used a regular deep cycle battery with 110 AH, a bit on the heavier side but in theory would last all day.

Took a little getting used to, didn't know what to do with my feet. And while it improves the turn radius and tracking on the PA, when in close to the kelp it was a pain in the arse. So I think that I will use the motor to get to an area as well as for trolling but switch over to the drive when I get there.

Okay, so all was going well until I snag a kelp strand with the motor in reverse. The retaining nut must have come loose or the prop broke, or something, as I lost the prop (Good thing I brought the peddles along eh?).

Now the real disappointment, I have been unable to find anyone who sells the prop for that brand of motor. Bummer, I was able to find one that was close enough that I could modify to work so next time out we will see what happens.

I have found another source for a motor for Mirage drive kayaks. Check these out, some even have a remote control.

http://www.islandhopperoutboards.com...for-hobie.html