Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2014, 02:54 PM   #21
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunters Pa View Post
Point is, being a great swimmer will not save you if some jackass runs into you and knocks you out.

I have a wife and two kids that count on me coming home from the few trips I actually get to make. I wear my PFD from when I am launching until I am back on shore
That was exactly my point. He didn't know how to swim and he needed to be briefed on wearing that pfd the entire time.

I agree that everyone needs to wear the pfd at all times for safety.

The rental crew needs to enforce that.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:21 PM   #22
FISH11

The resort and the rental crew it seems are out of this picture, when an individual rents the kayak and then allows a bunch of other people to use it. In the end someone that is inexperienced suffers and you can't blame the resort or rental crew. I blame the person who rented the Kayak and then allowed a bunch of other people to use it. Because you know "It just a toy". The same stupid thinking is what happens everyday in all these places because people think Boat, Jet Skis, etc are just toys. Maybe someone will read about this tragedy and it will save someone next time. Just my $0.02. Personal Responsibility.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:32 PM   #23
GregAndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Why do we turn every thread into a pissing contest?

Because there are 10,000 expert risk managers on here that know exactly how you should run your life. Why do you ask?
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:49 PM   #24
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
Because there are 10,000 expert risk managers on here that know exactly how you should run your life. Why do you ask?
I was bored and that f-en popcorn is getting expensive.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:14 PM   #25
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
The resort and the rental crew it seems are out of this picture, when an individual rents the kayak and then allows a bunch of other people to use it. In the end someone that is inexperienced suffers and you can't blame the resort or rental crew. I blame the person who rented the Kayak and then allowed a bunch of other people to use it. Because you know "It just a toy". The same stupid thinking is what happens everyday in all these places because people think Boat, Jet Skis, etc are just toys. Maybe someone will read about this tragedy and it will save someone next time. Just my $0.02. Personal Responsibility.
I agree that the rental company is not liable most likely if someone allowed a bunch of other people to use it.

However I believe it should be the responsibility of the rental outfit to make sure that everyone that rents a kayak is briefed on wearing the pfd and make sure that it fits correctly. If the pfd is put on wrong it won't help you in case of an emergency.

Last edited by buddha; 08-25-2014 at 06:28 PM.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:19 PM   #26
johnnyblaze2009

Yeah I don't know how it works at resorts like this hosting a company party. I do think that whoever was in charge of that event should have had enough staff to make sure the safety equipment was made available and worn correctly. Im very sure this could have been prevented but it's too late now. I'm just glad I'm not the one to have to relay the bad news to his family back home. I wouldn't know how.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
johnnyblaze2009 is offline   Reply With Quote