Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2019, 12:56 PM   #1
Snags

MDR / Venice

Took advantage of the break in the weather this morning and decided to check out the MDR reefs to see what was around.

Launched at the boat ramp at sunrise but the fog was really thick. Visibility was only about 50 yards so I headed out to the breakwall to see how it looked. Paddled around the corner and to my surprise a small whale came up about 10 feet from my kayak. I've never been that close to one in the yak. It was in less than 20 ft of water in that little pocket north of the wall by the beach. Not sure what kind. Maybe a juvenile gray. Seemed to be feeding. There was loads of bait in that corner.
Anyway, I was stoked.

The fog was too thick to go offshore so I decided to have a few casts around the breakwall and see if it would clear up a bit. No fish. Lots of short bites.

Around 7:30 it cleared up so I headed out. Super calm out there with a very light breeze. Caught and released 3 Sandbass and 4 Calicos. All quality size. Fish caught on a white and red 3/4 oz. underspin and a red Warbaits jig with a red swimbait trailer.
Also 3/4 oz.

All by myself until some dick in a boat pushed up way too close. Guess he wanted to see what I was marking.

Anyway, back at the launch by 11:30. Great morning.
Attached Images

Snags is offline   Reply With Quote