Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 08-11-2019, 12:55 PM   #1
Beer Me
Take two

Leo Carrillo 8/11

Met up with Roscoe and Cronus, quick introductions and then a lesson for me on how to read the sets and swell from an elevation. This was my first beach launch and I needed all the help I could get. The ideal launch spot was located and the march began.

Surf was a little higher than expected but our launch spot was perfect. After following the cues, I was paddling that yacht and only crested one wave (the last) and was in the clear. Dropped in the drive and headed out in search of kelp. Water was green but clear and 63 degrees.

First cast was hit before it reached the bottom. Barred sand Bass. This is going to be great!

Second cast on a drift was hit within 2 minutes and brought up a calico. Rinse and repeat. I switched to a double rig after one calico came up with only the weight and hook in its mouth with the tube body nowhere to be found.

Lots of bites and I landed five, so I consider this a success. We headed back about 9:30.

As for landing, I followed the cues and paddled like a madman. I was told to hold back but I was comfortable with the swell behind me. I rode it in and was pulled in with a little help from a friend.

The walk back was daunting with my skinny wheels. If I had those grey ballon tires, it would be a vast improvement. Back at the truck by 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beer Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 12:47 AM   #2
fourtogo

Sand tires

I have a set cn be used on ether Hobie dolly big axle or small . I have custom billet axle bushings .
fourtogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 05:19 AM   #3
Cronus
Cheat to win

Great pics, once on the water I can never get my hands dry enough for my phone to work at all. I hit all Calico and most were in close by the rocks. Was a good day.
Attached Images

Cronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:36 AM   #4
Roscoe

Glad you made it out.
You handle yourself coming in like a pro.
When I get my fish finder up and running on the new kayak we should all try and find deep hole (depot).
Roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:35 AM   #5
Beer Me
Take two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
Glad you made it out.

You handle yourself coming in like a pro.

When I get my fish finder up and running on the new kayak we should all try and find deep hole (depot).

Thanks. Your help was immeasurable. From the wave/set timing lesson, the visual cues, and the push through the sand on the way back.

I’m so stoked I was able to get out there and fish. I think I’ll have a dropper rig for halibut while drifting next time. I already had the pole rigged and ready for bait, but the endless bite took my mind off of it. That’s a good thing. Maybe Ricardo “Fisheye” can do us a solid...

Let’s hit it!

Old 08-12-2019, 10:45 AM   #6
Cronus
Cheat to win

And when we landed a beachgoer said he found a rod holder and gave it to me. If you lost your rod holder at Leo let me know. Was just the insert part not the base.
Cronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:09 AM   #7
FullFlavorPike

This is rad.

A few weeks back you are thinking about quitting fishing, selling your boat, and for all we know eating frozen basa swai from Vons for the rest of your life whenever you want to get near a fish. Now you're hooked on the hot bass bite. Way better turn of events.

Whoever helped put you on the fish did you a real mitvah. I don't know those guys, but they clearly helped.

My kayak fishing sensei showed me a lot when I was first figuring it out. I'm forever grateful for all that guidance.

This post cheers me up.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:54 PM   #8
Beer Me
Take two

It cheered me up too

Old 08-30-2019, 07:44 AM   #9
DCMosley
Hi to all!

Awesome pics