Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-28-2020, 09:16 PM   #1
bryan_oceanside
Junior

Suggestions for Offshore Radio/Other Safety Gear and Tips

Hi All!

I am new to kayak fishing, but have caught the bug for sure. I've been going offshore relatively often and I havent gone farther than about 1.5 miles off the coast. I am hoping to understand what it takes to go farther, what are the increased risks and how to mitigate these risks best as possible.

Does anyone has suggestions for a good offshore radio? Good price but good quality? Also I would appreciate any other safety tips when going offshore, whether it is strategy on weather forecasts or gadgets that decrease the risk of getting hurt.

Thank you!
bryan_oceanside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 09:29 PM   #2
FoodGeekFish

Safety tools:

A VHF radio - Standard Horizon and ICOM are the two major brands. SH is going to be less expensive, but less features. I run an SH HX100 - low end but gets the job done

A hand powered bilge pump

A whistle/air horn/noisemaker

A good type 2 rated PFD

A fishing buddy so you're not flying solo
FoodGeekFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 11:08 PM   #3
Udine219
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoodGeekFish View Post
Safety tools:

A VHF radio - Standard Horizon and ICOM are the two major brands. SH is going to be less expensive, but less features. I run an SH HX100 - low end but gets the job done

A hand powered bilge pump

A whistle/air horn/noisemaker

A good type 2 rated PFD

A fishing buddy so you're not flying solo
+1

Udine219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 05:36 AM   #4
BenCantrell

Everything mentioned above, plus I'll add a few thoughts:

Some sort of redundancy with your paddle / pedal drive.
1) paddle + leash
2) paddle + spare paddle
3) pedal drive + paddle

Practice self rescuing. If you haven't done this, you shouldn't be further from shore than you can swim.

High vis flag, plus a CG approved light if you're going to launch before sunrise.

Dive knife on your PFD, in case you fall overboard and get tangled up in fishing line.

Dressed for immersion. When you practice self rescue, take note of how cold you get. Being in the water for 20+ mins shouldn't be life and death.

First aid kit.

Food and water, bring one more water bottle than you think you'll need.

A couple other items that might not be must haves: floating tow rope you could toss a boater or other kayaker, deck compass if a fog rolls in and your electronics fail, sponge to complement the bilge pump, CG approved distress light if you're really going to get out there.
BenCantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 05:41 AM   #5
BenCantrell

And for the weather, come up with go / no go criteria that you check the night before, and then when your alarm goes off in the morning check it again. It sucks having all your gear ready to go and have to call off your trip, but sometimes that's the right thing to do.
BenCantrell is offline   Reply With Quote