Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 05-27-2020, 09:35 AM   #1
Corvina
Junior

LB Wall

What are the most convenient kayak launch spots for the LA wall? I have a Hobie Compass and live in Long Beach. I would not be looking at an open beach launch more somewhere like the bay side of the peninsula. Any advice much appreciated
Corvina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:41 PM   #2
tak100
Recruit

There are several launch spots to get to LB Harbor. If you want to launch from the peninsula but on the inside you can drive to the end of the peninsula and park in the neighborhood and drag your kayak through the ice plant and over the sand to the water or you can launch at horny corner were their is parking and small ramp. Using the ramp at horny corner will add about 15-20 mins of paddle time to get to the Los Alamitos Bay entrance. You can fish the various oil islands or paddle straight out to the break wall from there. Plenty of fish in the bay as well although they are usually smaller.

Cabrillo Beach is at the other end of the break wall. You can launch from the boat ramp around the corner or the beach on the inside if you don't want to deal with waves of any kind. Be warned that the wind in the afternoon blows from the beach across the harbor and you will be paddling up wind if you stay into the afternoon.
tak100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:07 PM   #3
tak100
Recruit

Link to discussion with Los Alamitos Bay Map:

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=35123

Link to discussion with Cabrillo Beach Map:

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=34753
tak100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:03 PM   #4
Tigermidge

Park at the end of the Peninsula and wheel your kayak right to the beach at 69th place. VERY easy. Then just go strait out the harbor.
Don't go if its foggy!

Mark
Tigermidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 07:06 PM   #5
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

for the southern LB portion, 69th street. you can either launch on the beach side, or the harbor side.

for northern cabrillo portion, cabrillo launch ramp. you can either launch at the launch ramp, on the sand (still in the harbor), or on the sand (the beach side, outside of the harbor).
Old 06-12-2020, 05:08 AM   #6
FleshandBlood

I've been fishing the LA Harbor/Wall the past few weekends and have bounced between launching at South Shores boat ramp and Cabrillo. Launching from South Shores is definitely the best place to launch. It's a little further to the wall but the wind in the atternoon blows at your back so no need to fight it on a 2 mile paddle back in. As you head to the middle wall from SS there are a ton of fishy spots you pass all of which I've been catching fish on as I head out. I've had better luck fishing the inner harbor the last 2 weekends then I did at the wall. I know of some killer spots only accesible to kayaks DM if you have any questions. Im still learning that place but Id love to share what ive learned so far.
FleshandBlood is offline   Reply With Quote