Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 09-16-2020, 03:24 PM   #1
TCS

Let’s talk hooping

I’m going to pick up some hoop nets and give it a try. I’m thinking I’ll get promar ambush hoops. I’m interested in learning from your experience. I’d prefer to eat bugs from the ocean, although I can see how hooping in a bay would be easier.

Your thoughts on:
Gear?
Ocean vs bay?
Depth in early season?
Optimal time?
Tides?
Any other tips?

If you have some gear to sell I’m interested.

Thanks!
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 06:13 PM   #2
TJones

depends what you are riding

if you have a PA I would get the promar 36" xls because they weigh 14 lbs each. This will greatly reduce your nets swimming off when a dog grabs your bait tube. He will drag them off to deeper water and they will be gone in a blink of an eye. On the other hand, if you are on a narrow kayak choose the smaller version or lighter setups. 32 "/ 5 lb or 36"/ 6 lb. Grab the promar pvc bait tubes if budget permits. the metal bait cages are worthless if dogs are around. Tons of guys will jump in and give advice. Good luck.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 05:06 AM   #3
DanaPT

Promar conical or nothing.
There are a couple of cool bait cage hacks.
Build a hoop net rack for traps so they stack and stow securely. Though most guys in PAs have lots of room.
A light, waders to stay warm, gloves, beanie, a rod to catch bait in between pulls, an extra beer or two to shar with a nice kayaker/boater hooping near you. Snacks. Lobster gauge, your harvest report card and pen.

Go when you can go. I like 25 ft of water and rough dark conditions solo. So I've started at sunset, after 9 pm, before sunrise at 4 am etc. Turns out lobsters aren't that smart.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:02 AM   #4
Mahigeer

Be sure to have you lobster card filled with all the information (less number of catch) before dropping the net.

To add to other recommendations:

A headlamp with spare is an important gear.
The gauge with leash to be worn around the neck.
I do not recommend the heavy nets. Special lead weights can be added later if need be.
Ahi chemical light to be set in the float.
The fishing license number marked on the float. License and lobster card in a safe waterproof case.
No beer if you are prone to frequent urination like me.
Gloves, bait cutting knife.
Bonito or mackerel for bait.
Bait tubes tied to net with clips. Saves on zip-ties.

Lobsters hide during daylight hours. The sunset is their breakfast. They crawl less as time goes by. There are always exceptions.

Tide not important if not at the pier. IMHO

Location....sandy area close to rocky area. Early in season shallow, later deep.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:12 AM   #5
TCS

All good info. Thanks
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:15 AM   #6
Harry Hill

I went the first time last year with a friend, his experience made for a successful night. I got the rudder tangled with the pull rope and he got me free. Also showed me the proper way to handle the lobster without getting hurt, who knew they could bite you? Also the best way to free stingrays with came up with almost every pull. Get the bugs out and leave the ray in the trap, it will swim free once back in the water and you wont get stung freeing it. I bought the older model Promar with the arms that pull free so it lays flat when not in use. Got a good deal from a guy who bought them then started diving for bugs instead of netting. I had a lot of fun but recommend you go out with someone the first time to shorten the learning curve.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:12 AM   #7
Mahigeer

The various nets have each pros and cons.
Old style flat net ---Pro [cheaper than others/can be used to land fish from a pier/easier to transport due to flatness/light weight]

Con [ok for crabs, not so good for catching lobsters/must be pulled fast the first 5 feet to insure the lobster stays in the net/should use a special bait cage to keep the bait in the center of the net/usually the rope that come with it is too small in diameter]

Folding conical nets called Eclipse -----Pro [folds flat for transportation/as conical net, it is great for catching lobsters/bait cage can be clipped to stay in the center of the net/needs to be set properly before use]

Con [more expensive than the flat net, but it is worth it/no need to pull it fast/may requires purchase of bridle/not useful for pulling fish up on a pier]

Ambush net (has welded support) ----Pro [same as Eclipse/no need to pull fast]
Con [although it may cost more than Eclipse and definitely more than flat net, again, it is worth it/it does not require setup/more space required for transport]

Lastly a pointer about the Eclipse nets ----In opposition to the Ahi company’s recommendation, do not attach the bridle clips to the upper ring. Always to the lower ring. If there is a lot weight in the net (fish, kelp, lobsters) the supporting rods could come off the net.

Lastly ----To empty the net from undesirables, simply turn it over!!
If there is kelp in the net, do not put your hand in the net looking for lobsters. Eels, scorpion fish could be hiding in the kelp. Use a gaff to stir the kelp to see if there is anything there. If not just turn the net over.
Lobster will be relaxed on top of your flat (gloved) palm. Easier to gauge than putting on a hard surface.
I have never been bitten by one.

Last edited by Mahigeer; 09-17-2020 at 09:47 AM.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote