Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-30-2020, 08:06 AM   #21
tak100
Recruit

Fish Finder Install

For those that have a Solo Skiff:

It looks like it is through hull installation for the transducer.

Is that true?

How is fish finder performance when under power?

Anyone have side scan working on one of these?

Last edited by tak100; 04-30-2020 at 08:12 AM.
tak100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 08:00 PM   #22
mrJB

Solo Skiff Transducer

I've run my transducer through the forward cooler/bait tank scupper using a rubber stopper to enable the cooler to be used as dry storage. Bait tank is old school with the pump located off the rear grab bar...

MySSkiff2.JPG

JB
Old 05-01-2020, 12:29 PM   #23
NICKWORN

Lowrance Hook 7 reveal came today. Cant wait to mess with new Genesis mapping feature.

https://www.genesismaps.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200501_124229_01.jpg (53.1 KB, 410 views)
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:12 PM   #24
NICKWORN

And this happened over the weekend, Solo Skiff cart. Adding plywood to bottom for added storage. Saw Cresent Kayak FB story showing a ton of solo skiffs, should be coming in a few weeks.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200503_152735_056.jpg (141.6 KB, 391 views)
Old 05-06-2020, 06:58 PM   #25
NICKWORN

Tohatsu 6hp 4 stroke short shaft w/ external tank.

She so pretttttttttae!

Oh yea these Malone wheels are legit. Each wheel is 13" tall while the cart is over 3' wide. 2 Tow straps secured to the frame and a kick stand.

Solo will glide across sand with these.

Two thumbs up on quality.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200506_192611.jpg (62.0 KB, 369 views)
File Type: jpg 20200506_192620.jpg (51.8 KB, 371 views)
File Type: jpg 20200506_173241.jpg (74.8 KB, 369 views)
Old 05-06-2020, 07:01 PM   #26
igotpron
Xcoastie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKWORN View Post
Tohatsu 6hp 4 stroke short shaft w/ external tank.

She so pretttttttttae!

Oh yea these Malone wheels are legit. Each wheel is 13" tall while the cart is over 3' wide. 2 Tow straps secured to the frame and a kick stand.

Solo will glide across sand with these.

Two thumbs up on quality.

Wheels look beastly!! Might wanna get a trash can full of water a 12 pack and break that motor in while you wait. Got the time to do it right might as well start playing with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
igotpron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:07 PM   #27
NICKWORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotpron View Post
Wheels look beastly!! Might wanna get a trash can full of water a 12 pack and break that motor in while you wait. Got the time to do it right might as well start playing with it.

That's my plan this weekend! Haha

Although I'm not that antsy with this red tide and all, the days are counting down! Hopefully 27th is still the date.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:26 PM   #28
cris

Nice! Those wheels are sick and the motor is pretty.
cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 10:36 PM   #29
FISH11

Smile

My Tohatsu 6 hp came today also and already added the oil and plan on starting it tomorrow, I'll be using a tall plastic kitchen trash can full of rain water that I used to used to rinse my reels. Have just about all the mounts and accessories to install once the Solo is in.
Old 05-08-2020, 10:24 AM   #30
NICKWORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
My Tohatsu 6 hp came today also and already added the oil and plan on starting it tomorrow, I'll be using a tall plastic kitchen trash can full of rain water that I used to used to rinse my reels. Have just about all the mounts and accessories to install once the Solo is in.
Its going to be a blast mashing out to the 9 with 5 or 6 of us. There's a group from Nor Cal that come down in Oct for a few days. They go out to the 9 as well. I saw MikeyLIkesIt smashed out last week and nailed some monster Bonitos in that dirty water. Cant wait for this summer, hell and this Bug season, new options to explore.
Old 05-11-2020, 11:28 AM   #31
IN2DEEP

Cool read guys
If you're going to run the OB's in a trash can for extended periods, keep an eye on the water temp. It will get warm. Too warm? Not sure but keep an eye on it.
Old 05-11-2020, 11:52 AM   #32
Harry Hill

if you are going to run the outboard you are better off getting the hose fitting for the intake and keep running cool water through the engine instead of using the trash can method, that was you keep cool fresh water running through the engine
Old 05-12-2020, 06:42 AM   #33
NICKWORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
if you are going to run the outboard you are better off getting the hose fitting for the intake and keep running cool water through the engine instead of using the trash can method, that was you keep cool fresh water running through the engine
It is my understanding that's only to flush the motor and the engine shouldn't be started per manual. I did however order the adapter so i can flush the engine after every use especially those late night buggin trips, im sure my neighbors will be happy.

This is really the only safe way to do the initial 10min break-in. The additional break-in period will be done in the big bay with a bait tank full of chovies slow trolling for butts.

Old 05-12-2020, 06:54 AM   #34
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKWORN View Post
It is my understanding that's only to flush the motor and the engine shouldn't be started per manual. I did however order the adapter so i can flush the engine after every use especially those late night buggin trips, im sure my neighbors will be happy.

This is really the only safe way to do the initial 10min break-in. The additional break-in period will be done in the big bay with a bait tank full of chovies slow trolling for butts.

back in the day when I used to build engines we always went by the mantra of break it in as you drive it and how you drive it. In the old days engines did have to be broken in by certain standards but today most manufacturers test run engines before they send them out and run them long enough for the initial break in.
Old 05-12-2020, 07:59 AM   #35
FISH11

Smile

It takes way longer than the 10-15 minutes of mostly idling the engine to make the water temp in the trash can get high enough to worry about. When I ran mine I checked the water temp in the trash can which was mostly full of rain water as well as the water outlet on the engine. that allowed me to see how warm the engine temp was getting and was surprised it only got warm after a minutes of running. Those little 6hp 4 strokes sound so nice and at idle they are so quiet. It's going to be great to be able to slow troll at a fast idle and have the right kind of action on the jig and not be disturbed by a loud engine. So SWEET I can't wait. As soon as the Solo shipment comes in, I'll be busy for a few days rigging. I already have almost everything I intend to install combinations of the electronics I use on my Hobie Revo 13 and the Rocket Launcher Rod holder I love that have been used on several of my kayaks, my Lowrance 7TI downscan FF, plumb the live well and instal a couple extra hatches, gear tracks and rod holder mounts, rod holders, seat and the decking mat than I have to cut to the fit I want. I love this project and it going to be a blast to use when finished.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200507_150334.jpg (68.5 KB, 273 views)

Last edited by FISH11; 05-12-2020 at 08:05 AM.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 03:05 PM   #36
tak100
Recruit

How dependable are those Tohatsu outboards?

Anyone have one for any length of time?

One engine on a very small boat.

Paddling home from 10 miles out would suck or be impossible depending on the conditions.

Are you planning on getting a trailer?
tak100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 04:44 PM   #37
igotpron
Xcoastie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tak100 View Post
How dependable are those Tohatsu outboards?

Anyone have one for any length of time?

One engine on a very small boat.

Paddling home from 10 miles out would suck or be impossible depending on the conditions.

Are you planning on getting a trailer?

It’s really simple. You got a boat. You buy sea tow. Suck it up and do it. Just like AAA. Not as fast but one use will cover a few years of payments.

igotpron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 07:35 AM   #38
NICKWORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotpron View Post
It’s really simple. You got a boat. You buy sea tow. Suck it up and do it. Just like AAA. Not as fast but one use will cover a few years of payments.

Epirb and Tow assist for sure! But these little Tohatsu are as sold as it gets, as long as you're not slacking on your maintenance, such as flushing after every use, burning the fuel out of the carb, following break-in diagram correctly, etc.

Actually just installed this Tachometer which shows RPMs and tracks hours, super easy install, no fusing wires or any of that, simple 4x wraps around the spark plug wire and your done.

https://youtu.be/ICv3AeeSZ00

Last edited by NICKWORN; 05-18-2020 at 07:41 AM.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:37 AM   #39
NICKWORN

Also added this attachment to make the flushing easier after late nights of lobster hooping.

Attached Images
File Type: png Flush.png (130.7 KB, 207 views)
Old 05-18-2020, 07:40 AM   #40
NICKWORN

And cart is fully completed and 100% functional!

That's my buddies OB, newer model (rudder system sucks). I had to get out on the water somehow and he came through. Tons of Spottie action Sunday in the big bay but no Halibuts wanted to play.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cart.jpg (80.1 KB, 207 views)