Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2012, 08:04 PM   #1
Joker619
Junior

Trident 13 Rudder and Anchor Trolley

Should I get the rudder and anchor trolley installed on my new kayak?? Is it useful or unnecessary. Don't mind adding it but dont want to waste money if it wont be used. Plan on fishing San Diego. I dont pick it up for a week or two so I think I could call them and tell them to add it now. Thanks!!
Joker619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
CheapPelican

I recommend one

Having a rudder helps cut down on the extra strokes you have to take on either side inorder to keep tracking straight. You are able to apply more of your effort to forward motion rather than using some of it to compensate for wind and waves. "All those extra strokes add up at the end of the day."

Also cuts down on your turning radius and gives you hands free control of your drift.

One drawback is that it may make transporting of your kayak more complicated. When I have to transport mine in the bed of a truck I like to remove the rudder from its bracket so that the flatter stern is against the bed wall instead of the pointed bow. Also sand from a bad surf launch can interfere with rudder deployment and function of the foot controls.

An anchor trolley is nice but just becomes one more thing to attend to. Several casts then you decide to move on. Draw back your trolley, pull your anchor or chute then you move. After you relocate you drop anchor and have to reposition your trolley again. I think its easier just to drop anchor and swing your legs overboard to get in the position you want to be facing. You'll get used to casting in awkward directions and positions.
CheapPelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:13 PM   #3
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker619 View Post
Should I get the rudder and anchor trolley installed on my new kayak?? Is it useful or unnecessary. Don't mind adding it but dont want to waste money if it wont be used. Plan on fishing San Diego. I dont pick it up for a week or two so I think I could call them and tell them to add it now. Thanks!!
My current Kayak has a rudder on it and I thought about taking it off when I bought it. Now I would not take it off at all. It really helps when the wind is blowing and like has been mentioned it cuts down on the strokes.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:03 AM   #4
tacmik

For a quick and easy anchor trolley. I just ran a line from the bow to stern tying it to the handles. A little slack in it so it hangs partway on the side of yak. When using anchor, just let out the anchor, loop a carbiner to the anchor rope, clip to the line running bow to stern, can anchor bow or stern. leave enough tag line from anchor so you can pull the carbiner back from the bow or stern.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:50 AM   #5
TEAMFISH
Team Kayak Obesessions

Iv'e done pretty well on my T-13 without a rudder so far. You sometimes need to change up the left, right, left, right paddle rhythm. But as soon as I come up with the extra cash I won't be opposed to putting one on, unless I get a peddler before then.
TEAMFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:32 PM   #6
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacmik View Post
For a quick and easy anchor trolley. I just ran a line from the bow to stern tying it to the handles. A little slack in it so it hangs partway on the side of yak. When using anchor, just let out the anchor, loop a carbiner to the anchor rope, clip to the line running bow to stern, can anchor bow or stern. leave enough tag line from anchor so you can pull the carbiner back from the bow or stern.
I installed one of these on my Malibu but never tried it. I sold the Malibu a couple of days after installing it. There's no need to buy the expensive ones, do a youtube search for Kayak Anchor Trolleys and there are some great ideas on there.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:09 PM   #7
taggermike

I don't know what kind of fishing you plan on doing, but I fish the ocean and bay and I very rarely anchor. Abou the only time I put the anchor down is when I bait fish in South SD Bay. The rest of the time I am trifting or paddling. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:12 PM   #8
mtnbykr2

yeah I have a brand new unused anchor, I always have it in the truck with me, but it has yet to get wet, I have had it for 6 years...
Old 07-27-2012, 06:05 PM   #9
Joker619
Junior

Cool.... Thanks for the input. I guess I'll add the rudder and just chill without the anchor. If anything maybe I can use one of those drift chutes or something if I ever feel I need it. Anyone use one of those? Or do you guys have them but not really get much use out of them much also. I plan on fishing the SD bay, mission bay, point Loma kelp, and LJ. Plan on fishing Bass, Hali, Yellowtail, whites sea bass....whatever's biting!!
Joker619 is offline   Reply With Quote