Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 07-25-2012, 03:29 PM   #1
caddisx
caddisx

Newbie looking for Newport Harbor halibut

I have been lurking around BWE for months being new to kayak fishing. My expertise lie in rocky mountain trout so although I know how to fish this whole fishing in the ocean from a kayak has been a bit of a learning curve for me. I go out into Newport harbor as much as I possiblly can and have become pretty good at catching the spotted bay bass. I eventually want to wander out of the harbor to go for some bigger quary and maybe a crab/bug or two but that will need to wait till next year when I build up a bit more skill. What has completely eluded me inside the harbor is halibut. I have asked other kayakers and some others and I mostly get use live bait around bait barge. I got into kayaking because I inherited an old ocean kayak scupper pro. I couldn't get a bait tank on it even if I wanted to. My question is what is my best chance to get a halibut using plastic? I will try a lot and am very open to suggestions or help. I am planning on going out again this Fri. morning so all and any info will be used soon.
caddisx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:23 PM   #2
JohnnyCope
The Four-Finger discount

Since you can't fit a bait tank ever think about a bait motel ?you could hold about 6 in one and cost around 15 bucks .
JohnnyCope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
caddisx
caddisx

I've played around with the idea of a bait tube but was hoping someone would give me some info or tips on using plastics in the harbor for halibut
Old 07-25-2012, 06:43 PM   #4
mtnbykr2

Halibut in the bay is absolutely productive, on plastic, they tend to like a scented version, ok I use Gulp shrimp, in "ghost" or "nuclear chicken" which by the way is a hard color to find, works real well down south, like DP and NPH...on a C rig...go get um..
Old 07-26-2012, 05:32 AM   #5
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

I will be there this Sat. 6:00am coast guard station, heading out to the open water in search of fish. your more then welcomed to join me look for the blue revo with a guy wearing a raiden hat.
ps I have a bait tank so bring your sabiki.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:31 AM   #6
GR6RR
Lucky Fisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
I will be there this Sat. 6:00am coast guard station, heading out to the open water in search of fish. you're more then welcomed to join me look for the blue revo with a guy wearing a raiden hat.
hA. good chance to get you back But it's all good, we have all done it.
back to the story.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:33 AM   #7
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR6RR View Post
hA. good chance to get you back But it's all good, we have all done it.
back to the story.
Its ok I did it to see if your paying attention

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #8
Photoxic
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
I will be there this Sat. 6:00am coast guard station, heading out to the open water in search of fish. your more then welcomed to join me look for the blue revo with a guy wearing a raiden hat.

I will be out there as well but not until about 9am. I will be in an ivory outback.
Photoxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:16 PM   #9
caddisx
caddisx

Wish I could get out there on Saturday, I am going out tomorrow morning. I will be out at 6am at that little park near the wedge In a red scupper pro. I will take tips from anyone.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #10
caddisx
caddisx

Couldnt figure out how to copy and post
"Halibut in the bay is absolutely productive, on plastic, they tend to like a scented version, ok I use Gulp shrimp, in "ghost" or "nuclear chicken" which by the way is a hard color to find, works real well down south, like DP and NPH...on a C rig"

Thanks tor the tip, I will try it tomorrow. All I have is natural color but let's see:reeling
Old 07-26-2012, 03:28 PM   #11
mtnbykr2

Natural should do it if you find them, "copper penny" is another good color,
I met a guy on a center console last time there he picked up and farmed what he said was the biggest halibut he ever caught, I didn't see the fish before he lost it but it was on ghost shrimp, so they do work...good luck...
Old 07-27-2012, 02:12 PM   #12
Poxy Boggards

Dropshot a small Zoom Fluke, Bass Tricks, Curly Tail Grub. They can and will take plstics if presented correctly. I would also recomend fishing lite line for the Butts 8 or 10 pound max. You might get owned by a big one, but you will increase your bite ratio big time. GL out there!
Poxy Boggards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:37 PM   #13
caddisx
caddisx

Just wanted to thank all the BWE guys that came by to give me tips this morn on the halibut... Didn't hook one yet but I am not giving up. Going to try to get to yak fest next week to get as many tips as I can pick up.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:11 PM   #14
Amish Ed

My best tip is for your retrieve. Wind three times, let it sink back to the bottom, and repeat. Look for little ticks or jumps in the line. A lot of times that's the only bite you'll see.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:26 AM   #15
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

keep it moving. keep it bouncing off the bottom. remember.. halibut have eyes on top of their head. if something is dragging on the bottom... he wont care for it.