Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
Mongo Johnson

What's your 'spare parts' quick list for a long vacation

To take the prudence of having a backup rudder pin handy under your hatch a tad further . . . What's a savvy collection of "parts" to order and bag in your boat for any "just in case" moments?

Let's say you're heading up the coast for a week of yakkin' fun. Lots of putins, a few surf launches, floats and sunsets.

But, you'll be far from any Hobie store or even a Walmart. What's a good bag of 'just in case' parts and tools to toss in your gear bag or boat?

I'm thinking things like an added pedal strap, another rudder pin, an extra set of flippers . . . durables you can buy and bag and use "someday."

Are there any particular tools to have handy on the list, stuff that's unique to having a Hobie yak as your patient?

I'm especially foggy on Mirgage drive parts, much less on tuning it.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
dorado50

Don't forget the duct tape.....
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:19 PM   #3
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

WD-40, Duct-Tape and a multi-tool (I use a leatherman) should take care of it all. We never flew a single mission in space without the duct tape!
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:19 PM   #4
mtnbykr2

I agree, your normal "run of the mill" survival $hit, but a rudder pin, might not be a bad idea, but I have been on plenty of trips like that, and I am more concern with tackle malfunction, breakage, or loss, not so much yak issues, but I have alot of faith in Hobie.
That being said, I did have a trip where the rudder control handle came off about four miles out, and having to use the paddle to stear, fun times, but that was my fault for not checking my gear, I wouldn't worry too much with the terminal Hobie...IMHO...
Old 07-25-2012, 08:59 PM   #5
yaksailor

Yeah, the thing about a Hobie is that it has more moving parts, which means more things to go wrong. Obviously, I don't realize this, since I own 2. Maybe for spare parts?

-Definitely carry a spare rudder pin. I had one break while using a large sail rudder while camping. Luckily, I had another Revo to swipe one from.

-On the same trip, the split ring on my Mirage drive fin pin broke, the pin came out, and I had to use paddle power for the rest of the day.

-I always carry scupper plugs, since I loosen them during launch and sometimes they get lost.

-I've broke 3 pairs of Hobie paddles, always during launch. It's not fun to land with half a paddle. Shoot, I only have Bending Branches now.

-Phillips screwdriver to replace a broken rudder, or change to a sail rudder. Also, to tighten up the steering braid. Pliers help.

-Steering cord, just in case. This would be a major pain to change at a campsite, let alone a garage with proper tools.

-Those little quarter-turn quick-release hubs on the Wheeleez Hobie-Trax 22cm wheels. They break if you look at them funny. Cool concept though. The whole cart breaks down and fits in under the deck.

-Spare Wheeleez tire, since they pop if you turn a corner too fast..

-Toothbrush and terminal cleaner

-Hex key to tighten the steering knob. Of course, if your steering stem gets so loose that it falls into the hull, it's too late!
yaksailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #6
tacmik

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaksailor View Post
Yeah, the thing about a Hobie is that it has more moving parts, which means more things to go wrong. Obviously, I don't realize this, since I own 2. Maybe for spare parts?

-Definitely carry a spare rudder pin. I had one break while using a large sail rudder while camping. Luckily, I had another Revo to swipe one from.

-On the same trip, the split ring on my Mirage drive fin pin broke, the pin came out, and I had to use paddle power for the rest of the day.

-I always carry scupper plugs, since I loosen them during launch and sometimes they get lost.

-I've broke 3 pairs of Hobie paddles, always during launch. It's not fun to land with half a paddle. Shoot, I only have Bending Branches now.

-Phillips screwdriver to replace a broken rudder, or change to a sail rudder. Also, to tighten up the steering braid. Pliers help.

-Steering cord, just in case. This would be a major pain to change at a campsite, let alone a garage with proper tools.

-Those little quarter-turn quick-release hubs on the Wheeleez Hobie-Trax 22cm wheels. They break if you look at them funny. Cool concept though. The whole cart breaks down and fits in under the deck.

-Hex key to tighten the steering knob. Of course, if your steering stem gets so loose that it falls into the hull, it's too late!
Damn. Leaves little room for fishing gear. Glad I paddle, less to carry and worry about.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:26 AM   #7
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaksailor View Post

Yeah been there done that...
Old 07-26-2012, 04:34 PM   #8
Mongo Johnson

From another yakker

Essentials to carry on the boat
-Spare fin mast
-Tools to repair the drive (my kit comprises spanner, pliers & swiss army knife)
-Spare sprocket chain cable & idler cable
-Spare split pins (need them for my fin masts - you may not need these depending on your drive)
-Spare nuts (for the drive - all too easy to drop them overboard/into long grass or sand)
-Knowledge of how to adjust/repair your drive (there are different models some more easy to adjust/repair than others and if you are making an extended trip you have a duty to be self-reliant)
-For a longer trip I carry a spare pedal (FWIW & IMHO the exercise-bike pedal straps are a complete waste of the world's natural resources but if a pedal shaft breaks - and this happened to me once - your ability to make progress will be severely reduced)
-Spare rudder pin clipped to underside of rear hatch lid (standard on all Hobies I believe)

Safety gear (minimum)
-PFD
-VHF
-Baler (I take a sponge)
-Light (Mine is a tiny LED bike light that is powered by a hearing aid battery)
-Spare clothing to suit conditions you might encounter
-Length/lengths of strong light line.

Stuff to carry in the car (shouldn't be too many real essentials in this list - most of what you NEED you NEED to carry on the boat). FWIW I try not to forget to take:
-Spare tyre for cart wheels (if pneumatic like my C-Tug) pump and tyre levers
-Charger for FF/GPS

My spares (other than the finmast & pedal), toolkit, vhf & light all fit in a watertight sandwich box-sized "otterbox" (Brand name). This and the spare fin mast & pedal go inside the boat via the centre hatch. Even if you do this you need to ensure that you can reach them if you need them because they do tend to slide about if you don't do something to stop them.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:58 PM   #9
Deefeesha

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSledTeam View Post
WD-40, Duct-Tape and a multi-tool (I use a leatherman) should take care of it all. We never flew a single mission in space without the duct tape!
Is it true that DFG frowns upon having wd-40 on a fishing vessel?
Deefeesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:58 PM   #10
maui jim

Come on guys. ...really??
Too much stuff to bring. Just scavage the beach an McGiver it.
Im mean your taking up too much beer room with all those hobie parts
Old 07-26-2012, 11:34 PM   #11
StinkyMatt

Harbor Freight sells a portable welder for a hundred bucks.

It is very small and fits in my front hatch.

I never leave the shore without the welder. Mig, arc, whatever, I can weld any metal parts on the water.

Another overlooked item is a water desalination system, mine runs on 12 volts and puts out 50 gpm. You need fresh water to rinse the welder parts with.

Seriously, don't over complicate your day with too much stuff.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:53 PM   #12
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo Johnson View Post
Let's say you're heading up the coast for a week of yakkin' fun. Lots of putins, a few surf launches, floats and sunsets. . . . What's a savvy collection of "parts" to order and bag in your boat for any "just in case" moments?

Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #13
maui jim

Fishadoro....my New Friend....

Good taste in good booze.....
Old 07-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #14
Mongo Johnson

As my sense of s**t-to-pack developes, I see the thread trending a different direction. I think I have enough info on s**t that breaks . . .

So, I must suggest Zaya Rum as WONDERFUL alternative to those who may find even good Scotch caustic. And, rum is rather a seafaring beverage.

(P.S. - Mongo LOVE "Oban," it was supposed to be the line in the movie. Not "candy.")