Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
Mongo Johnson

Abalone Cove, PV launch thumbnail needed

I used to go there YEARS ago when the you could actually drive the service road down to the beach. Seems to be closed now with parking on the bluff.

Using Hobie heavy duty wheels . . . is there a long, but decent roll from parking area to the service road, and finally down to the beach? There looks to be a rougher/shorter foot trail down from parking, but might be a flater bluff-top haul over to the service road and a loop down. Sadly, I don't have the DARPA version of Google Maps and can't tell.

How's it compare to Malaga's steep twisty roll to cobbles and a long half mile through Terranea to a shale drop-off and cobbles-drag launch . . . ?

Seems the trail at what's now labled as "Bluff Cove" and used to be "Christmas Tree," or "Flat Rock" back in the day, is pretty darn hosed by errosion.

Sigh. Back in the 70s/80s the kelp was toast and sea urchins had the upper hand. Now, the kelp seems to be revived, but the trails are hosed!
Mongo Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
Mongo Johnson

A bit of newbie progress

My newbie survey of launch spots got me drivin' over to PV and yakkin' with a County rep' at closing time on some parking, offloading and put-in answers. Walking this old stompin' ground sure brought back memories.

Also, I got a friendly earful on the MLPA covering the area(s) and the swirl of resulting issues. Interesting comments. The guy was both angler-friendly, and considerate of enthusiastic enviro-conscious folks.

Comments included what you can and can't take, GPS zones, 'education periods' and volunteer spotters being a bit "forward" with anglers.

'Got some comments on using White Point as a put-in. Seems anywhere other than Cabrillo or White Point is a long walk or a trail walk prior to a launch and some cobble/boulder beach shores.

Any tips on where to go here are certainly welcome. I'm likely to start with touring and some light snokel and one-tank scuba. Fish tech is still an emerging science to me.
Mongo Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:51 AM   #3
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

White and Cabrillo are your best options or off of kay fiorentino if its open.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:28 PM   #4
fishingfiend

I was in a private boat last weekend cruising by the area and both captains I was with swear there is alot of WSB in that area, but no one is fishing the area hard enough. Like us, we left the inshore and headed to the islands. I'd be down for a PV adventure, post up when you're heading out.
fishingfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:36 PM   #5
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingfiend View Post
I was in a private boat last weekend cruising by the area and both captains I was with swear there is alot of WSB in that area, but no one is fishing the area hard enough. Like us, we left the inshore and headed to the islands. I'd be down for a PV adventure, post up when you're heading out.
1st rule of PV, no one talks about PV.
I hear rumors of guys who fish it so hard their wives and kids are tried of wsb.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:13 AM   #6
Mongo Johnson

So there I was, heart a'flutter.

The sandy beach of my youth before me. Steve Miller band was playing on my imaginary earbuds, 'Everything's better when wet.'

My crate of papaya color yak shot like a jet air liner through the 1-2' surf. I felt like a Space Cowboy as I trekked north outta the wind in the lee of the bluff.

Couple dolphin looped around us and a seal splashed us -- both yakkers and seal were surprised.

Sets 9 min apart and mellow so beachin' was easy.

The half-mile uphill yak drag to the road, was followed by the half mile "I'm-to-old-for-this shuffle" to the truck, (would have made Danny Glover/Roger Murtaugh proud.)

Drove home smiling.