Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2008, 04:23 AM   #1
keljad

RAM B 107 Fishfinder Mount

I noticed that alot of guys over there use the RAM style fishing rod holders and you all speak highly of them. I have decided to get dome sent over to Australia, (with the 2x3 inch base) but while I was online shopping, I noticed the RAM B 107 Fishfinder Mount. This appears to be a larger mount than the one featured on the online shopping area of this website which is designed for the piranah's.

I was wondering if any of you guys use this, and what your opinions are on the product. I also note that it will take the Humminbird Matrix series, 500 and 700 series fishfinders, but it mentions nothing of the Humminbird 383c Colour combo unit (300 series) which is what I have.
I know that the base of this sounder is larger than a piranah, so I am presuming that it will be the same as a Matrix base. Any help from anyone who knows if the 383 will fit would also be appreciated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RAMB107.jpg (7.6 KB, 97 views)

James

Last edited by keljad; 04-05-2008 at 04:33 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
keljad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 05:12 AM   #2
PerryC

Smile Mount

James,
I'm not sure of the bolt pattern on the units as far as matching exactly, but if you make one of these adapter plates if need be it should work for your application. The material is actually one of those inexpensive cutting boards that was cut, rounded off and match drilled to the Scotty mounting base, then the ff base was screwed into that with some stainless steel screws. I know you're asking about a RAM base, but you could do the same with that. Hope this helps,
Perry

Old 04-05-2008, 05:36 AM   #3
keljad

good idea mate. I will use that if the holes dont match up. I notice in your photo that you have some type of plug that keeps the hole water tight where your leads enter your kayak. Is that something you made, or is it something that can be purchased? If so, what is it called? I am currently using a 1" rubber grommet for mine, but it doesnt work very well.

Thanks for your help

James

Old 04-05-2008, 08:15 AM   #4
Jim Sammons LJKF

Besides the Piranha series the bases for the humminbirds are all the same up through the 700 series and including the Matrix. The mount changes in the 900 series. With the the others you can take any head unit and slap it on any base.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 11:07 AM   #5
PerryC

Thumbs up Wire seal

James,
It is a purchased wire seal sold under the name of Ancor. You can use them on fish finder installations, bait tanks and general wiring on kayaks. They usually come with three different inserts that compresses around the wire(s), so you can also use them for a single piece of 14awg wire for running power etc. They are available here at www.kayakfishingsupplies.com , and the individual page link is http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...re-Seal/Detail

Here's a photo of the ones I used to carry showing two sizes of inserts towards the right of the black plastic pieces. The top and middle inserts are the same (the top one is used), and the largest insert is below those two. Not shown is the insert that can act as a plug, or that you can run a single wire through if you want.

Hope this helps,
PerryC.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:17 AM   #6
dgax65
Guerro Grande

James
They have those watertight cable outlets and cable clams at Whitworth's.

Watertight Cable Outlet These are used to pass un-terminated cables and cables with small connectors.

Cable Clam These are used for cables with larger connectors.

You might try using Selly's All-Clear to fill the gaps between the cable and the grommet. It doesn't look pretty, but it does the job.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:14 PM   #7
keljad

Thanks again everyone for your help. I will definatley order one of these mounts. The RAM brand seems to have a very good name, I wish someone would sell them over here. Then again, everything is cheaper to buy over there and get it sent over anyway

I will place the order next month, and once arrived, I will place up some more pictures. I am heading down the goldcoast nest weekend to chase som flathead and bream, so I should have some more fishy photo's next week for you.

Thanks again for the help

James