Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2008, 04:00 PM   #1
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Squid Lighting

I've been thinking about bringing out my own lights next winter(god/state of CA willing). I've talked to some people and found that Xenon lights in a waterproof housing would work great. You can even run it for a couple of hours off some of the larger 12v we bring out. My only unanswered question would be the wattage necessary to bring the squid up. Any thoughts? C'mon Dgax, I know you've got some ideas.

Here's a good site for size and wattage draw for lights. The prices don't seem too bad either.
http://www.xenonlightshid.com/
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 11:17 PM   #2
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Dude, you gotta go big

DeepSea Power & Light - Underwater Lights

Sea Vision Underwater Lights

Seriously

Those lights get awfully hot. I wouldn't set one down on the deck until it cools down completely.

Before you spend that much money on a Xenon light, try some LEDs. You can gang a bunch of white LEDs together and get a pretty bright light. The LEDs will also be cooler and use much less power.

I've got a bunch of waterproof LEDs left over from other projects. I can put together a prototype to see how much light it will generate. I'll send you a PM when I'm ready to test.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:33 AM   #3
FISHIONADO

I bought one of these lights from BassPro, it worked great bringing up bait when the pier light wasn't working a couple summers ago. Lost it somehow or I would have tried it for the squid.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...=SearchResults
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:14 AM   #4
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Dgax,
I was PMing back and forth with a guy on BD who designs for DeepSea Power & Light. He told me that a 35 watt bulb would last for a 3-4 hour session with a 12v Xenon bulb. On the website I linked, a 37.5 watt runs about $15. The guy also said that he can machine a housing and a borosilicant window for under $100. He mentioned that the ballast, lamp and ingitor need to also be incased in the housing. Not sure if those are separate components are if they are combined to make a the Xenon headlight. The lamp would be in the water which he told me is necessary to reduce the heat of the unit. I'm no engineer so I'm trying to bounce these ideas around to see if it all jives.
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:19 AM   #5
dgax65
Guerro Grande

If you can get somebody to machine the housing, that will solve most of the problems. Those lights are so hot you need a housing that can withstand the expansion/contraction and not leak. That's why I didn't think it was practical to try using the Xe headlamps. LED lights are cooler and a lot more forgiving. You can submerge a potted LED lamp with no problems.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:00 PM   #6
wavster

Underwater Kinetics http://www.uwkinetics.com/catalog/category/6
has some great underwater lights. Nothing to build.

I own the C4 LED light and it's quite bright. I went over to their factory
in Poway to see the product in more detail. I spoke with a woman about
their light canon. It's a dive light and very bright (450 lumens). The
catalog says it can be used in or out of water.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw another option at you Nate.
wavster is offline   Reply With Quote