Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 08-10-2020, 12:15 AM   #1
randyspringer
Banned

Advice on Sabiki Rigs

Hi Guys

I have been reading up on sabiki rigs and wanted to try to see if it makes it easier to catch yakkas. I am land based and I do catch the yakkas but it would be great if i dont need spend time baiting them up. However, I am not sure if there is a brand or particular shape of the actual lure/hoot that works better than others?

I have seen the Hayabusha ones which appear to be one of the best but they have some that looks like small shrimps, some with UV, multi colours etc etc. Obviously I dont want to buy every different kind and ideally just the one to at least try out first.

Any tips or recommendations? Thanks!
randyspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:39 AM   #2
DanaPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyspringer View Post
Hi Guys

I have been reading up on sabiki rigs and wanted to try to see if it makes it easier to catch yakkas. I am land based and I do catch the yakkas but it would be great if i dont need spend time baiting them up. However, I am not sure if there is a brand or particular shape of the actual lure/hoot that works better than others?

I have seen the Hayabusha ones which appear to be one of the best but they have some that looks like small shrimps, some with UV, multi colours etc etc. Obviously I dont want to buy every different kind and ideally just the one to at least try out first.

Any tips or recommendations? Thanks!

In our area we use sabiki rigs to catch our versions of live bait. Most guys will buy a 6 hooked sibiki rig cut it down to only 3 hooks. Save the other half for next outing. Tip with small squid or fish bits and catch your bait. Rinse and repeat.

Good luck down under?
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:28 AM   #3
chris138
donkey roper

I also assumed you are in the southern hemisphere, since you called them Yakkas. I heard that on RokkitKits YT hahaha. Yakkas and slimeys. Is a yakka like a jack mackerel?

I think you get a little longer life out of a higher grade sibiki. But in terms of getting bit pretty much any kind will work well here in socal. Baiting them up with squid or fish skin will definitely increase the bites.

You using the yakkas to catch KINGIES?
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:47 AM   #4
SoCalEDC

had to google yakka, looks like it may be some kind of mackerel and has a large mouth. If they are anything like the macks we have hear the larger hooks are fine (#8, #4 hooks). I like the reflective or green/red skirts and i typically use the heavier line versions i.e. 30# main with 20# branches. I also like to use a jig as opposed to a weight on the bottom so that if there is any larger fish feeding on the bait fish you have the potential to nab one.

I have used the small ones (3-6#test and size 14 hooks) and they work fine for most baits, and are actually better for baits like sardines imo, but if you hook anything bigger it will break you off.

Bring a couple either way so that you can change it out if it gets tangled by the fish or broken.

I second the recommendations from above on tipping with some bait like squid or shrimp.

Good luck.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:53 AM   #5
Oolie
Headshots Only

We fish kingies mainly.

If you must use live bait, sabiki will work well.

Lures are strongly recommended in most cases/situations.

As you are shore based, I would recommend long, heavy, rear-weighted lures.
Oolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:33 PM   #6
Harry Hill

Sabiki's have super sharp hooks that will get you if you aren't careful. Sometimes I put a lead head and swim bait at the bottom in case a bass wants to take a bite.
Old 08-10-2020, 07:05 PM   #7
Salty

On the kayak, I use the sabiki with 6 hooks and keep it tied off on a small setup with a 6-8oz weight. Haven't done this on the kayak yet, but when I'm doing longer offshore trips for tuna on the boat, I'll chum the water with canned catfood around the mouth of the harbor. Brings the baitfish up close and the mackerel go crazy. Drop the sabiki into it and keep it in the water until all 6 hooks have a fish! It's easier on a boat when there's a second hand to help get the fish off the hooks and into the tank though lol
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:33 AM   #8
ProfessorLongArms

As choice of sabiki goes, I’ve def noticed a big difference when using the ones with any iridescent foil/tinsel that catches the light really well. I always go for the flashiest and shiniest I can find and stock up in bulk. Especially seems to help in the morning if I’m trying to hedge my bets on Spanish.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:37 AM   #9
summers in kuwait

Some good notes here from all.

Size is important, based on the bait you intend to catch or desire. And as mentioned tipping with squid helps!

You can also make your own as I have done over the years.

This is a great resource on how to make your own and his channel has some really cool other videos!

Cheers!
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:43 PM   #10
CorvinaLoca

sabikis

if you're land based, def go w/ less hooks as mentioned. even if you pulling straight up vertical, 6 hooks can get tangled. reeling it into shore/beach would a certainty i think. gud luck
CorvinaLoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:26 PM   #11
rdahl

A couple suggestions, cut your sabiki in half. You don't need more than 3 hooks. Anyone who has ever had 5-6 on at a time knows it is a mess of tangles, and usually 2-3 don't last long after getting roughed up. And you will especially appreciate it if you get in to a school of 14 inchers. Tip #2, smash the barbs so once you get them onboard they come right off the hook and into the tank. Also helps when you accidentally hook yourself.
rdahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:39 AM   #12
JohnMckroidJr

The closest fish to Aussy Yakkas in Florida are the Big Eyed Scads, or Goggle-Eyes as we locals call them. They are arguably the best bait for offshore pelagics. They typically sell for $7 each, or $80/dozen live. The bait’s value makes paying a few extra bucks for a top-quality Hayabusa Sabiki less significant. Allegedly, the skins used on the Hayabusa hooks are superior to generic brands. The Hayabusa D119E is the commercial anglers' standard rig. It has 8 hooks and is used with 16-32oz of lead to keep the baits from tangling the rig. Off the kayak, we use half the rig and typically put a 1/4oz crappie jig on the bottom while slow trolling for Gogs in darkness along the beach. Once the sun rises, the Gogs stop biting, and the crappie jig is swapped out for a 6oz sinker. This rig is good for catching all forms of bait, and the method changes after sunrise. When bait is metered, it is dropped through the bait, usually getting bit on the sink. If no bites occur on the sink, pump the rod while retrieving the rig back up through the bait. Once a bait is on, slowly retrieve, as the motion of the one hooked bait often entices others to strike. As the baits come onboard the kayak, raise the sabiki and then lower it into your live well. Start by using a dehooker on the top hooked bait, and then work down to the bottom bait. Avoid handling the bait prior to use.

If the baits are not biting, sometimes, squid tipped hooks or even Berkley Gulp Maggots can be used to entice a bite. The green glow beads are essential for attracting many species of baits, but some species such as Herring, Menhaden, and Sardines are sometimes better attracted with red glow sabikis.

Scads go by many names: Cavita in Mexico, Akule in Hawaii, and Maasbanker in South Africa. I wonder if the Aussie Yakkas are a high energy bait like the Goggle-Eyes or a soak bait like the Pacific Jack Mackerel?

Last edited by JohnMckroidJr; 08-12-2020 at 10:47 AM.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:56 PM   #13
theluckypig

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers in kuwait View Post
Some good notes here from all.

Size is important, based on the bait you intend to catch or desire. And as mentioned tipping with squid helps!

You can also make your own as I have done over the years.

This is a great resource on how to make your own and his channel has some really cool other videos!

Cheers!
agreed.

i make my own... they are customized to my taste and last much longer... and gives you something to do when you can't get out... very inexpensive...
theluckypig is offline   Reply With Quote