Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 08-08-2020, 10:04 AM   #1
roby
CEO of Team Roby

Cambria 8/1/20

I went camping and kayak fishing with Ericko and John Ruiz this past weekend. It was a relaxing and fun trip with some rock fish, beautiful scenery, and tater-tots. We camped at a private campsite a couple of miles from the launch, since all the public campgrounds were filled. Most mornings were foggy with plenty of wind and sun in the afternoon. Our afternoon sessions were wet and wild with 15+mph winds. We caught a variety of fish from reds, blues, blacks, cabezon, and a few short lings. I was mainly using swim-baits and hook-up baits. The fellas used some plastics too and squid. The biggest rockfish came in at 5lbs or so. The high spots out in deeper water were not producing and most of the quality fish were caught in the kelp, which seems healthy and thick in certain areas. We tried shore fishing from the rocks and poking around with squid but didn't get anything. I'll have to put some more effort into shore fishing next time since it looks like there's fish to be caught. Great trip and I'm already planning the next one...

roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 01:06 PM   #2
FISH11

Looks like a great trip and good fishing. Some nice rock fish there. That first picture reminds me of when La Jolla used to have kelp beds like that, now they are just a memory. Thanks for sharing Roby, hope to see you out at La Jolla one on these days.
Old 08-08-2020, 02:09 PM   #3
ekkoa
Banned

Looks great
ekkoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:29 AM   #4
chris138
donkey roper

Tasty looking stringer! Cool trip thanks for posting.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:08 AM   #5
lbsurf2ca

Anyone have an idea of the best option on campgrounds up there, public or private regardless of being full or not?
Old 08-10-2020, 11:28 AM   #6
ProfessorLongArms

Thanks for sharing the stoke!
I'm starting to pack my stuff for a San Simeon trip this weekend!
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:40 AM   #7
SoCalEDC

looks like a blast. Nice quality fish, and the shore fishing in the rocks looks like it could be a really fun time.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:21 PM   #8
jruiz
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbsurf2ca View Post
Anyone have an idea of the best option on campgrounds up there, public or private regardless of being full or not?
https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=590
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:18 PM   #9
kayakfisherman

Wow Roby, there's the whole package. Looks like so much fun!!!
kayakfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:27 PM   #10
roby
CEO of Team Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbsurf2ca View Post
1) San Simeon Creek Campground

2) Morro Bay State Park Campground

3) Islay Creek Campground
Old 08-10-2020, 05:30 PM   #11
Harry Hill

Has anyone camped at El Charo on Highway 1 between SLO and Morro Bay? It isn't far to Morro from there and it seems like it would be less crowded or do they even have camping there?
Old 08-10-2020, 07:04 PM   #12
jruiz
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
Has anyone camped at El Charo on Highway 1 between SLO and Morro Bay? It isn't far to Morro from there and it seems like it would be less crowded or do they even have camping there?
El chorro has overnight and day use. It's not as close to kayak launch locations as the other campgrounds suggested. IIRC, it can also get pretty hot there in the summer.
Old 08-10-2020, 07:50 PM   #13
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
El chorro has overnight and day use. It's not as close to kayak launch locations as the other campgrounds suggested. IIRC, it can also get pretty hot there in the summer.
thanks, I was just thinking if the better ones were full it might be an option. I know Morro Bay has some pretty good halibut spots and the launch isn't too far from El Chorro. I worry about leaving my stuff in camp anymore. I guess living in SoCal has got me paranoid about thieves.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:40 PM   #14
jruiz
Large Member

Quote:
thanks, I was just thinking if the better ones were full it might be an option. I know Morro Bay has some pretty good halibut spots and the launch isn't too far from El Chorro. I worry about leaving my stuff in camp anymore. I guess living in SoCal has got me paranoid about thieves.
As far as theft is concerned, the campgrounds to the north of SLO don't have much of a problem in that regard. Campgrounds in Pismo, Oceano, and SLO can sometimes have homeless encampments nearby where you might end up with a bicycle or propane tank missing after leaving camp for the day.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:48 AM   #15
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
As far as theft is concerned, the campgrounds to the north of SLO don't have much of a problem in that regard. Campgrounds in Pismo, Oceano, and SLO can sometimes have homeless encampments nearby where you might end up with a bicycle or propane tank missing after leaving camp for the day.
Normally when we go up the coast we stay at a motel in Cayucas. I haven't pulled the kayak up there yet. If it was me I would just tent camp but my wife wants a room with a bath. I can lock up my fishing gear but the kayaks will be on a trailer, I just have to take anything loose inside with me.

The homeless problem is everywhere now and where they are thefts are going to happen. Down here it just seems like it isn't just homeless, there are people who go to campgrounds just looking for the opportunity to steal something,
Old 08-11-2020, 07:27 AM   #16
stevie951
Lurker

Quote:
Down here it just seems like it isn't just homeless, there are people who go to campgrounds just looking for the opportunity to steal something,
Thieves

Hang em High

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:24 AM   #17
lbsurf2ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby View Post
1) San Simeon Creek Campground

2) Morro Bay State Park Campground

3) Islay Creek Campground
Thanks Roby
Old 08-11-2020, 08:58 AM   #18
roby
CEO of Team Roby

Quote:
Normally when we go up the coast we stay at a motel in Cayucas. I haven't pulled the kayak up there yet. If it was me I would just tent camp but my wife wants a room with a bath. I can lock up my fishing gear but the kayaks will be on a trailer, I just have to take anything loose inside with me.

The homeless problem is everywhere now and where they are thefts are going to happen. Down here it just seems like it isn't just homeless, there are people who go to campgrounds just looking for the opportunity to steal something,
There are private campgrounds with showers and running water. It's a good blend of tent camping with a few conveniences. Google private campgrounds since there is a large variety depending on your equipment whether you own a tent, RV, trailer. There are even teepees and yurts you can rent out. For example, some one rents out their driveway for $25 a night a mile from the Cambria launch, but it's only for RVs.

Check out www.hipcamp.com
Old 08-12-2020, 10:28 AM   #19
JohnMckroidJr

Lots of nice pictures! Thanks for the report.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 02:30 PM   #20
Fishon14

great report looks like a good time
Fishon14 is offline   Reply With Quote