Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 08-10-2005, 01:55 PM   #1
cajunman

LJ 8/10 Close but no Cigar

0-3

launced at 5 with tobey, jim, and pat to some fierce ankle biter surf. tough getting out but we made it.

Threw out a rebel fast trac just after the bouy. Immeidately started geetting hooked up with 2-3 lb. greenbacks and bonitos. Stopped after 4 and went out to meet Pat and get bait. Bait was plentiful ,,of the Spanish variety. Did the usual trolling and chunking a mega bait.

After about a hour,, YT #1,
First YT was a teaser. Thought i just had a nervous bait. Just keep pulling a little drag,, stop,, more, stop,, etc. Finally he tugged a bit harder and i cranked on it. Hardly no fight at all. As i got over the YT i could see him laying on top of some kelp about 6' down. One more tug,, a head shake and he was off. Saved me releasing.

#2 Came on a megabait,, picked up on the drop and started a nice but not violent run. After some give and take, he got me into the kelp and then he was off.

#3 was the " Sleigh ride" variety. I was drifting and talking with Dave (cabman) when my clicker went off serious. Set the hook and the tow was on. Crazy fish towed me in a couple of circles,, gained line,, lost line.. "no problem!!", i'm thinking cuz i got him on 65# spectra. Then as with the others,, he got me worked into the kelp and as i was trying to work him loose,,, "pop" and the hook was free. I guess i put too much pressure. On a positive note my knots held.

Oh well, ended the day with a fiesty barrie that insisted on jumping a couple of times before coming up for release.

Nice day on the Pond.
ragin
cajunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 03:48 PM   #2
madscientist

Sorry bout the record, there, Rich but at least you got to tug on something. I can't seem to get bit lately. Surf was challenging today .
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 04:26 PM   #3
Hook 1

You'll get 'em next time Rich.

Mark
Hook 1 is offline   Reply With Quote