Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2015, 08:30 AM   #1
RedondoSteve

12V Trolling Motor for Hobies

Check out this Trolling motor setup on a Hobie on Ebay. Been thinking about something like this. Anyone have a trolling motor setup going. I have a PA-12 and it is a tank, trolling motor to get to the spots would be awesome.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobie-Outbac...item2ededa0c03

Thanks,
Steve
RedondoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:17 AM   #2
cell128
lizard king

I saw 2 guys at Newport with them once. They were hauling ass. But wouldn't you need to register it as a boat if you use a motor?
cell128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:28 AM   #3
PapaDave

I bought a motor similar, not the same though. I tried it out and the prop fell off in some kelp. The motor is kind of cheap it turns out. Otherwise it was okay, the speed on my PA14 was about 2.5 mph, a little slower than peddling. I recently tried it out again and it worked okay, helps when you are going a long distance against current or wind.

How ever, when it came down to getting on that spot you have marked on the GPS or controlling the direction and speed at which you pass over or approach it, the peddles were by far more efficient.

I had the battery stored in the bow compartment, which added some weight up there. I found that when I moved forward a bit that the water would come up through the drive well and was going into the rod tubes, resulting in a small amount of water inside the yak when I got back to shore. I plug the bottom two holes and that seemed to fix that issue.

Also, with the motor I would have to lean forward a lot to change speeds or forward/reverse. That was a real PITA, I couldn't just drop down as I came to the spot but instead had to stop the motor and maybe even go in reverse to avoid going past the mark.

My opinion,unless you have a disability, stick with the peddles, the exercise is good for you. And if you are going to use one, get one with a remote control.

Try these on for size...

http://www.islandhopperoutboards.com...for-hobie.html
Old 03-16-2015, 09:44 AM   #4
RedondoSteve

Great info PapaDave, seems the cons outweigh the pros as I see it. I launch alot in Redondo and the PV kelp is a long haul, mainly why I was considering it. Definitely dont need more things to worry about on the water. I'm sure Hobie will come out with a motorized option some day. May still try something if the price was right or borrowing a setup.

Thanks,
Steve
RedondoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:51 AM   #5
PapaDave

Unhappy

Hobie does sell a motor for them, just costs $2500.

Your welcome to borrow my setup if you want. You are a bit far away though.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:06 PM   #6
Saba Slayer

Steve

PM sent Steve...

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:10 PM   #7
CR Yaker

Honda 2.3 short shaft gas motor. Far more efficient and powerful. But then you probably can't apply this to a PA. Another reason to go with an AI or TI over a PA for the open ocean if your launching from a semi protected area, which you probably need anyways for a PA. Love it, allows me much greater range out 20 miles plus.

CR Yaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:11 PM   #8
blazian

My Minn Kota pushes my tandem Outfitter a good 4+ knots all day. You will need to drop around 400 for the motor and battery and then a good couple hours modifying it to fit in your drive well using your catridge plug
blazian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:39 PM   #9
nickc5

This is my trolling motor setup. Was using it this last weekend fishing at Irvine lake. Didn't even put the mirage drive in and just trolled the whole day. I mainly use the motor when I'm fishing freshwater. Just too much shit to worry about once I'm out at sea.

NC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nickc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:45 PM   #10
nickc5

The trolling motor is in the wrong spot. Ha. I put on my right side in the pole holder behind the seat, turn the baby on, and steer with the rudder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nickc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:20 AM   #11
PapaDave

Interesting setup you have there.